Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • bottle and cage still in use?
  • rp16v
    Free Member

anyone still using them for races/day rides? looking at ditching the bag for bikefest and going for single cage with bottles ready filled at the tent
    the tools/tubes have found a nice little pack to fit the frame,
    pump will be on the second bottle boss
    sweets and energy bar in the jersy pockets
    just trying to lighten the load on my back as i sweat like a chicken on a sunday

Rorschach
    Free Member

How else does one carry ones ‘shit’?

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

How else does one carry ones ‘shit’?

In a Hydration pack

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I seldom use a Camelback, as I don’t like stuff on my back. So, one or two bottles. Only use the CB if it’s a right long one, with no places to fill bottles up, or I need to carry extra clothing/waterproofs etc.

As for racing; not with anything on your back. No way. Just gets far too hot and sweaty, then the bayg can move about and proper chafe.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Hibernation pack???…..devilery to be sure.Burn the heretic!!

taxi25
    Free Member

Use bottle and cage for race days. Tube and co2 inflator go in back pocket. Wouldn’t want to ditch the camelback for normal rides or marathons though.

rp16v
    Free Member

yeah i noticed it last year but never riden with a bottle/cage off road do they tend to stay put or get lost easy the cage im looking at is a fairley tight plastic wrap round jobbie

brakes
    Free Member

for normal rides, that aren’t going to be too wet or too hot, where I don’t need a full set of spares, food, jacket, camera, etc. and it’s a familiar ride/ route I just use a bottle
    it’s much nicer riding without a pack on

love
    Free Member

For local to home rides I sometimes use a nitto type r bottle cage with an elastic band looped through the front of the cage for bottle retention when pinning it! works a treat + the waterbottle is awesome! the one I have has a cow-shit/sheep-shit/any-shit cover over the teat
    ’tis really great and feels good without humpback
    backpack is good when you need/want trail maintenance tools, tools, elastoplast, spaceblanket etc. of course

nuke

2.5 hours or less rides, I just use a water bottle. Keep the spares in an old bumbag-style Camelbak without the bladder.

Longer rides and out comes the Wingnut pack with a 3L bladder.

GW
    Free Member

I’ve even got water bottle cages on 2 DH bikes, a bottle’s handy for pushing up, uplifts and races (many places uplift to uplift can be an hour turnaround and it saves going back to the car between runs.
    have 2 on my roadbike and I’d happily have one on my hardtail too but it can’t really take one (DJ frame so too small).
    a wee 1.5l camelback siren is all I can bare to carry, ‘kin hate riding with a bag on my back.

topangarider
    Free Member

Yup – defo for things like SITS, Mayhem etc. Only lost one bottle in about 4 years. Put tube on my seatpost, pump on frame and other stuff in jersey pockets.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I think a lot of people wear a camelbak because that’s what they see all the people in the mags doing, without really considering their real needs.

Race-wise I always go for bottle(s). Even marathon type events have feed stops.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think a lot of people wear a camelbak because that’s what they see all the people in the mags doing, without really considering their real needs.

Oh God. Don’t start this one off again.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Always bottles here. I tried a Camelbak once.

I use the Specialized plastic bottle cages. Never had a bottle bounce out yet.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I much prefer using a bottle cage, currently have to use a camelbak when on my scandal though as can only use a side entry, even with a lot of bending my bottle tends to rattle out pretty quickly.

probably because I bought a cheap bottle cage…

llama

bottles for ‘racing’

sometimes I go out for a quick ride with NOTHING TO DRINK and just a few bits in pockets

but pack most of the time

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I used a bottle cage and saddle bag on my CX at the weekend it was really nice not having a backpack on, I’ll be using that setup going forward.

rp16v
    Free Member

got some fairly nice side exit cages come in so snaped one up and couple of bottles as we have a team pit area that is right on the side of the route for easy change over

rp16v
    Free Member

just fitted and mocked up what il be carrying

in the bag- tube,spoke key,tyre levers,punture kit,links and chain tool

jonnyrobertson

Only use bottles as a means of carrying extra liquid when out on long road ridesor super hot “big days out”. Always got a Camelbak on, off road, on road or out running. Just so used to it, been using them since 1994, find I’m always sipping from it. On the occasions I’ve tried roadie-ing without it, just relying on bottles, I’m not as efficient at taking on liquid. Just what I’m used to now, NOT having something on my back feels weird! 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘bottle and cage still in use?’ is closed to new replies.