Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bothy afficianado's – which bothy for first trip with the kids?
  • matt_outandabout

I am wanting to take the kids on their first (bike) bothy trip. I need a ‘friendly’ bothy – Bendronaig seems obvious, if a bit of a climb.

Any other suggestions for well kept bothy’s such as this, on a bikeable track?

footflaps

There’s one just above Glenmore Lodge?

ton

culra aint too bad to get to. if the weather is ok.
    lochside track up to loch pattick then a not too bad track up to it.

pacerc200
    Free Member

Invermallie, near clunes (spean bridge). Good track not too far from road and great glen cycle way, been a few years since we were there but it was a good bothy then. Great waterfalls/pool on route from road/cycle way.

matt_outandabout

Hmmm, Culra could be good – it was rubbish when I was there (20 years ago), but looks good on recent pics.
    *edit* I best do it on a dry trip: the ford after rain…

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Culra +1
    Luib Chonnal (Glen Roy). Approach track has a bit of a hill but not too bad.

bedmaker

Strathmulzie. Excellent bothy, bike to the door on a good track.
    3 seperate bothies rolled into one.
    [/url]
    Bothy, Strathmulzie by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr[/img]

matt_outandabout

Bob Scotts – but could be really busy…?

matt_outandabout

strathmulzie is long ride in for the smallest_oab…nice looking spot though.

skink2020

Can i ask where the start to Strathmulzie is?
    Thanks in advance.

househusband

Admittedly I’m not familiar with more than a few but bearing in mind your ‘bike-able with kids’ caveat – Cadderlie on Glen Etive..? Adjacent to a stream, plenty of firewood in the area and next to double-track.

matt_outandabout

Cadderlie is on a ‘next trip, by boat’ list – great spot, was feeling a little worn and ‘core bothy last year when a colleague visited.

vorlich
    Free Member

Hutchinson Hut?
    Ruigh-aiteachain in Glen Feshie?

matt_outandabout

Duag bridge looks good – on the way up Strath Mulzie on the way to strathmulzie from Oykel bridge…

vorlich
    Free Member

Actually, footflaps has a point, Ryvoan is decent, lots of distance options, alt start point at Nethy Bridge

footflaps

Actually, footflaps has a point, Ryvoan is decent, lots of distance options, alt start point at Nethy Bridge

Also on a wide cycleable path – I think Chipps & co rode and stayed there a few years back – there was an article in STW on it. I’ve ridden past it many a time when up there.

matt_outandabout

Hmmm, many years since i pooped in, but yes Ryvoan would be ace – we have a place in Nethy… 🙂

piemonster

Stayed at Culra last summer, seemed in really good nick. Enjoyed my stay.

Nothing to do with the lovely Oz gals that where in there already, honest guv.

If it’s easy access, what about Calleter Stables?

piemonster

Or howsabout ‘The Lookout’?

vorlich
    Free Member

Nethy to Ryvoan very rideable. How old are the kids?

rickmeister

“Sarah’s” near Dunkeld, always amazed at the interior.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Bendronaig? Good luck with that – 1200′ of climbing straight from the off and must be c. 15k in. Don’t know how old your kids are but they might not appreciate that one 😉

Bob Scott’s or Glas Allt Shiel. Both will have the fire and firewood sorted (by others) have flushing bogs (albeit with a pail) and are reasonably civilized**

**Usually 😉 Take tent for back up

bedmaker

Strathmulzie – go to Oykel Bridge then down the forestry road to Corriemulzie Lodge, theere is a parking place just before it. Bike from there.

ton

the bothy up from roy bridge, lairig leacach i think, is horrible, steer clear.

ben alder cottage is one i would love to stay in.
    might do it this year, the ride in from laggan to loch pattich, and up bealach dubh is awesome.
    the way out round the head of loch ericht to the rannock moor road is a complete nightmare tho.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Oh and Ruigh-aiteachain obviously. Stove’s sh1te but you can light a fire outside and the kids can experience the novelty of being able to cr8p through an old school chair. But you need to factor in the ford over the river or the 3k of Singletrack up the East side.

Ryvoan’s okay but it’s like Sauchiehall Street / not exactly “out there”

Hutchy hut has been rebuilt not sure of there is a fire (absolutely essential in my view)but you’d need to lug in coal

theblackmount
    Free Member

Ben Alder Cottage gets bonus points – it’s haunted 😉

ton

is ben alder open all the time?

theblackmount
    Free Member

Many years since I’ve been and my last visit predates the “new” Swiss owner however, nothing flagged up on the MBA site to say otherwise.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bothy afficianado's – which bothy for first trip with the kids?’ is closed to new replies.