Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bothies accessible by touring bike?
  • ton

looking for some tourer accessible bothies, for a weeks trip up north.
    also ones which are open.
    culra, ryvoan and the one at lairig leacach all seem pretty good track to them.
    any more.

cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a mountain bothies association forum Ton, probably the best place to ask?

scotroutes

Inshriach
    Feshie would just about work
    Orrin
    Ryvoan might need a short push up past the bouldery section
    Fionnaraich in Torridon should be OK
    Luibeg and Faindouran perhaps.

I have them all (including some non-MBA) in a GPX file if that would help?

Edric64
    Free Member

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/

I am going to the one near Cape Wrath in the summer it involves the Durness ferry

ton

they are all on a map on the bothies site…..all the cloak and dagger seems to have gone nowadays.

druidh, what is a gpx file?

scotroutes

gpx file is for a mapping program or GPS, so you know where they are. They’re not all MBA you see…..

Chew
    Free Member

Tony
    Send me an email and I’ll send you a present through

ton

druidh, I am a paper map man still…. 😳

will do Matt.

Drac

Spithope Northumberland.

TheFlyingOx

I did my gold DofE up in the highlands, and always remember the trek from Fort William/bottom of Ben Nevis over to Loch Treig as being quite spectacularly beautiful. It’s also reasonably flat, with a decent enough path to follow, as you trail the Water of Nevis and then Abhainn Rath over to Loch Treig. You’ve got Meanannach bothy pretty much half way, which was a nice place to stop when walking, but you could press on to Creaguaineach Lodge on the banks of Loch Treig if you were feeling up for it. This bit was a particular high point of our DofE. Probably the most tranquil place I’ve ever been.

StreetMap (OS map) of the area

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Can I upload a gpx file onto a Garmin 605??

If so, could you send me the list please Colin?

Oh, and if you get any NGRs Tony, sing out… I fancy doing some touring this year! – last year was a bit of a right off.. 🙁

Drac

Can I upload a gpx file onto a Garmin 605

Pretty sure you can if not then you’ll be able to convert it something that’ll work.

scotroutes

To put them onto a Garmin you really want them as POIs. I’m assuming that the 605 supports POIs?

If so, you’ll need the POI loader : http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-12

Along with the GPX file as input.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    To put them onto a Garmin you really want them as POIs. I’m assuming that the 605 supports POIs?

I’ve no idea… I’ve only just got it, so just trying to figure it all out! 😳

ton

and after reading all the garble about poi’s, gpx’s and stuff…..I am glad I am a paper map man….. 😆

phatstanley
    Free Member

bob scott memorial bothy just outside braemar is beautifully located and accessible by gravel road…
    corrour bothy a bit further on would need a bit of hike n bike, but it’s a great path most of the way.

but bob scott would be no bother…..

13thfloormonk

Melgarve is a beauty, isolated tarmac road right to the front door.

I think Cadderlie would be accessible from Bonawe on some good landrover track, spend the night on the shores of Loch Etive.

Pretty sure there’s a new one on the Ardgartan Peninsula, would be worth exploring as there is a very good network of tarmacked and gravelled forest roads on the eastern side of the Peninsula.

Good forest roads would lead you from Duror to the bothy underneath Beinn a’Bheithir.

Think Gorton has a landrover track all the way to the front door, and you could avoid the busy Glen Coe road by riding around Loch Tulla first.

irc

Blackburn of Corrieyairick – gravel track. Lairig Leacach, likewise from Spean Bridge I believe though I’ve only walked in and out from the Corrour side.

The bothy at Glenfinnan – Corryhully has a tarmac estate road except the last few hundred yards. Electric light as well.

Invermalllie at east end of Loch Arkaig – gravel road. At west end of the loch Glen Pean and Achuil gravel track.

globalti
    Free Member

Suardalan in Glenelg is easy by bike.

13thfloormonk

Ooh, careful with Corryhully, I think its being renovated? Great shout otherwise, have a look for my leftover tins of Deuchars up in the eaves… 8)

scotroutes

Oh – and there’s a wee hut half-way along the Dava Way that even has a solar-charged, battery powered light.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bothies accessible by touring bike?’ is closed to new replies.