Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)
  • bothering to indicate…
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

some people just can’t be bothered!

all just too much of an effort isn’t it?

Too busy chatting to the kiddies in the back seat etc etc….

it’s becoming an epidemic based on the last few weeks IMHO.

aracer
    Free Member

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

They must be out if blinker fluid.

Sadly, its going the way of most other common courtesy’s.
    People are more commonly inconsiderate than they used to be

alpin
    Free Member

I don’t always indicate if pulling back in when traveling much quicker than the car I’ve overtaken.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Some stupid bint veered slightly in to a gateway yesterday on her left then gave it the full right hand lock across in front of me to do a three pointer. At no point did she indicate. Fortunately as I’m a driving God I didn’t stove her drivers door in but on pipping at her you could genuinely see she didn’t think she’d done owt wrong or gaf. I immediately wished I had run in to the stupid cow!

kayak23

Sadly it started with BMWs and has now spread indiscriminately.
    😉

shifter
    Free Member

Roundabouts are terrible these days. There’s the complete non-indicators who expect everyone else to stop and wait until they’ve finished their manoeuvre, the muppets that indicate way too early to leave and the complete maniacs who indicate right to go straight on. It’s not easy teaching my daughter how to cross the road when drivers are doing these things. And I can’t shout and swear when the seven year old’s with me 😡

prawny

I still don’t understand why people indicate back in when they’ve overtaken me on my bike, I didn’t think you were going to stay over there. But then they don’t bother at the next roundabout, it makes no sense.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Indicators are a way of telling other motirists how your actions may be affecting theirs. Pulling back into an inside lane is mandatory after an overtake so the overtaken vehicle should expect it therefore no need to tell them about it,

Or so I was told by the institute of Advanced motorists.

It’s probably common decency to indicate if you are about to affect their progress though, eg aiming for a junction with 100yards in hand as you do your three lane dash from the “fast lane” to the slip road in your Audi,

curto80
    Free Member

It does my head in because I just can’t understand how someone can either be too stupid or too lazy to indicate correctly.

grim168
    Free Member

Re test every 5 years or so. Creates jobs and hopefully improves driving standards. There’ll be a few who fail. Give them 6 months grace to retrain and pass. Then I’d take their licence away. Might get rid of some congestion too.

spekkie
    Free Member

grim168 – Member

Re test every 5 years or so. Creates jobs and hopefully improves driving standards. There’ll be a few who fail. Give them 6 months grace to retrain and pass. Then I’d take their licence away. Might get rid of some congestion too.

I think a lot of the sort of people who would fail a retake test based on bad attitude would happily consider driving without a license anyway.

breadcrumb

Pulling back into an inside lane is mandatory after an overtake so the overtaken vehicle should expect it therefore no need to tell them about it,

I was told the same by my driving instructor.

GrahamS

Roundabouts are terrible these days.

Had to laugh when some random driving-related Facebook group posted the “How to use a roundabout” diagram from the Highway Code and the comments were full of people “correcting” the diagram and drawing their own versions 😆
    Apparently the use of indicators and lanes is all wrong.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The EU are/have fixed this problem for you (it’ll be ditched post bullshite, sorry Brexit) in that new cars DTRL’s come on when the blob behind the wheel turns the steering wheel left or right. No need for indicators nowadays when this takes all the considered thinking about driving 7 brain cells being used, for 6 can now be used to fart, the other to observe the road situation.

All we need now is the hazard warning lights to come on automatically when either the vehicle has stopped, or the blob gets out of the car and the key is left in the ignition, like in new American cars.

milky1980
    Free Member

People seem genuinely shocked when I use mine correctly, you can see them go all blank as their brain processes this ‘new’ information 😆

Same goes for when you hold a door open for someone or, my favourite, giving up a seat on a train to an elderly,pregnant or disabled passenger. Did this on the tube earlier in the year and I thought someone was going to kill me for ‘breaking the rules’ going by the looks I got 😯

MSP

Same goes for when you hold a door open for someone or, my favourite, giving up a seat on a train to an elderly,pregnant or disabled passenger. Did this on the tube earlier in the year and I thought someone was going to kill me for ‘breaking the rules’ going by the looks I got

You must live in a different world to everyone else then, because none of those things are uncommon in the real world.

GrahamS

You must live in a different world London

FuzzyWuzzy

As well as the people that never indicate I also hate those that think indicating suddenly gives them right of way (as in changing into your lane close enough that you need to brake to avoid a collision)

milky1980
    Free Member

Was just visiting, I’d never live there 😯

garage-dweller

What we need as part of the solution to the roundabout issue is the better style of Dutch roundabout. The ones that have kerbs in between the lanes that prevent the steering / courtesy deficient from straight lining the roundabout and changing lane at random. Because they hold the cars to a set path you stand a better chance of guessing where people are going.

The Dutch really have invested in their transport infrastructure particularly in terms of priority of vulnerable users but also traffic and junction management.

I’m sure there are other countries that have done the same or better.

nickc

and yet buses…everything! oh a crisp packet in the road, indicate round that, parked cars, indicate, haven’t indicated for 30 seconds? Indicate!!

😆

RustySpanner

We need more traffic police.
    Urgently.

The standard of driving has declined so much in the last few years it’s bloody terrifying.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not indicating drives me mad: Not only is it dangerous, it just totally inconsiderate. That and indicating right to go straight on at roundabouts.

Oh, and don’t get me started on those idiots who do U-turns on mini-roundabouts.

garage-dweller

and yet buses…everything! oh a crisp packet in the road, indicate round that, parked cars, indicate, haven’t indicated for 30 seconds? Indicate!!

In defence of bus drivers there’s some logic to this. The bus is heavy, they’ve got 50+ passengers who are not strapped in and you can’t see round them that easily even when leaving a pretty big gap. A shunt for a bus could be a big problem for everyone.

we need more traffic police urgently

This too. Speed cameras catch speeders (no issue with that) but really there are other more pressing safety issues on our roads that are not getting dealt with – mobile phone use, uninsured etc., careless driving, drink and drugs.

nickc

The standard of driving has declined so much in the last few years it’s bloody terrifying.

Everyone says this all the time, nothing new. More traffic for sure, but I’m not sure it’s terrifyingly bad.

mikey74
    Free Member

Excessive bus indicating is fine: those drivers are fairly well monitored so it’s better to err on the side of caution.

Similarly, a friend of mine used to drive for National Express and all their buses are tracked by gps and onboard monitoring: if they record you accelerating too hard, braking too sharply, making sudden movements, not indicating etc. You get a warning. 1 incident and you have to undergo further training. You can also be fired, if it happens multiple times.

garage-dweller

but I’m not sure it’s terrifyingly bad.

It’s not terrifying I’d agree but it shouldn’t have to reach that level to be worthy of action. It’s heading the wrong way though and like any problem it’s easier to solve the less acute it is. Dress the wound and take some antibiotics now or cut the leg off later when it’s gone properly septic?

unklehomered
    Free Member

The exception to the diagram I encounter is at Ripley nr Harrogate, where the A61 continues from the 3rd exit, that is, the Right Hand option. But its the same road number so no indicating necessary as it classes as straight on… apparently.

Also the straight on option coming the other way is actually at about 1 o’clock rather than 12, so that apparently warrants a left turn indicator. There is a Left turn at 3.

Basically the whole thing is a crash course in snap physiological appraisals.

I’m considering getting stinger missiles fitted behind my headlights.

I also think in the future cars should make the driver go the direction they indicate. Problem very quickly solved.

agent007
    Free Member

Had to laugh when some random driving-related Facebook group posted the “How to use a roundabout” diagram from the Highway Code and the comments were full of people “correcting” the diagram and drawing their own versions. Apparently the use of indicators and lanes is all wrong.

Yes amazing how people don’t seem to know what to do. Amount of times I’ve been the green car on your diagram in the right hand lane but going straight on at the roundabout (right hand lane has arrow showing straight on as well as right), and the blue car hasn’t turned left or gone straight on, but just as I’m alongside side it has carried on going right round the roundabout, cutting across my path, seemingly unaware and without indicating is unreal!

Good job I’ve got quick reactions, and after the first time it happened I now tend to either hang back from the car on the left, or use my cars handling and power to position myself ahead of them whilst still on the roundabout. Never alongside!

Cougar

I was told the same by my driving instructor.

Yeah. I was told the same on an advanced driving lesson.

nickc

I think it’s busier for sure, and more cars mean more chances of two cars trying to be on the same bit of road simultaneously. I don’t think the standard is falling to a particularity bad level. There are countries with traffic issues that make us look like the best drivers in the world

😆

RustySpanner

Everyone says this all the time, nothing new. More traffic for sure, but I’m not sure it’s terrifyingly bad.

Except it’s true.

I’ve noticed a massive increase in cars with blown bulbs, lack of indicating, tailgating, ‘phone use and racing on the road.

All much, much worse than it was when we had more traffic officers.

It’s not rocket science – some people will drive poorly if they think they can get away with it.

Currently there is no one to hold them to account, so they endanger everyone else.

It’s pretty obvious, tbh.

And the terrifying aspect is usually men, not exclusively young, racing each other on the road.
    I see this on the country roads near me almost every time I use them.

takisawa2

It’s the same as lane 2 hogging. Some folk honestly don’t think they are doing anything wrong.
    I remember travelling to a customer some years ago, & had a lift off a sales director in his Audi. He must have signalled no more than 10 times in a 160 mike drive, from Staffs to Crawley.
    When I asked him why he didn’t indicate, he looked at me like I was odd.
    He said nobody else did, so why should he…

I often wonder if me driving as I’d been taught all those years ago, is just some form of involuntary pedantry on my part.
    My instructor was a stalwart of indicating, correct use of roundabouts etc. These days, from what I’ve seen, they are taught to drive in order to pass a test.

stumpy01

I was just thinking about this on my way into work, as some goon came round the last roundabout with no indicators on & his general ‘taking up both lanes’ positioning gave no hint as to where he intended to go.

I am far from mr perfection when driving, but I do try & be courteous to other road users, let them know my intentions & try not to hold people up unduly.
    But there seems to be a growing number who have the ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude and sod everyone else. It’s that and a lack of thought about what you are doing, why you are doing it & what the consequences might be.

As an example of this, when joining the A1 from Peterborough, there is a dedicated slip lane from the approach that bypasses the roundabout. This then merges with the lane from the roundabout, making two lanes on the approach slip to the A1.
    Because of this ‘must be in the fast lane’ mentality that seems to have developed, almost everyone gets involved in a bun fight to get into the outside lane on the slip, which slows it down so much it’s often quicker to hoof it down the now empty inside lane & get out of everyone’s way. It doesn’t take a genius to see when this is occurring; just a little bit of observation & forward thinking.

nickc

Except it’s true.

I drive as part of my job, have done for the last 20 or so years, don’t see the standard of driving getting that bad, and in fact discipline on motorways is probably better these days, there’s miles of 50 zones on the M6 and M1 as they convert them to smart motorways, and pretty much 100% of people stay at 50. Cars are more capable for sure, but retraining instead of speeding fines has made a difference as made impact on peoples attitude to speeding. I think what we’re seeing and noticing is the occasional really bad driver, we notice them because they are so few and far between

unklehomered
    Free Member

So much of driving now is trying to read other people, rather than observing what lights are lit on their car. Whether it was always the case I can’t say with only a few years driving experience as I didn’t get a car until late 20s.

DezB
    Free Member

I was discussing this with my passenger yesterday, as her daughter has just passed her test and was talking to a friend about indicating on roundabouts.
    (They are both academically brilliant girls) They seemed to think indicating on roundabouts was difficult. One of them, passed a couple of weeks ago said “Oh, I don’t bother indicating on roundabouts anymore.”
    So, our conclusion was, that they are just not taught the reasons for indicating, just that its something you learn to pass your test.

Also, my thought was that I indicate automatically, don’t have to think about it, it’s like braking, my finger does the movement when it’s needed and I have to actually concentrate to not indicate.
    Now IF you (as most people seem not to) don’t drive like that, it’s not something that is a natural part of driving (as the girls above), then you’re never going to – you won’t even realise it’s something you should be doing. So there’s no bleedin hope basically.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bloody hell. You can tell that STW has no links to the outside world. Everyone here indicates yet out there few people do.
    Of course the non indicators don’t contribute to this thread do they?
    It drives me potty. When I commute on the m/c I pull alongside and helpfully tell people how many times I have noticed that their indicators have failed. 😆
    Its nearly as much fun as chucking their litter back through the window.
    Generally society is getting more and more selfish. People want what they want and now. Overnight delivery, whoops and jumps where they don’t belong and the right to ignore the rules of the road.
    My pet hate is anyone driving contrary to the Highway Code. I refuse to move on when some lazy sod flashes me out at a T junction when they are coming from the left and want to turn right cutting the corner.
    a) the flash means that they exist and nowt else
    b) its their right of way. Giving that away creates confusion.
    Any vehicle unable to cope with the road shouldn’t be there. Eg lorries in single track lanes. Touch luck mate

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s the same as lane 2 hogging. Some folk honestly don’t think they are doing anything wrong.

A few years back an ex was driving us home and she was doing 40 in the right lane on a dual carriageway, although that was actually the speed limit on that section we had cars tailgating us and flashing lights. She was getting stressed out so I pointed out she should be in the left lane and she replied she thought you were just supposed to use either lane and didn’t realise the right lane was just to over take?! I would have taken the piss but I just wanted to get home in one piece.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘bothering to indicate…’ is closed to new replies.