Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Botched demolition
  • molgrips
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/business/shortcuts/2015/oct/12/explosives-demolitions-go-wrong-red-road-flats-glasgow-controlled?CMP=fb_gu

Ends up half demolished. I wonder how they’re going to do the rest? I reckon tanks would be by far the best.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Probably assess it and either blow it again or deconstruct as they have with other towers in the city.

legend
    Free Member

They’ll just let the locals take care of it

irc

Just as well the crazy plan to have this demolition as part of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony was ditched.

thegreatape
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably assess it and either blow it again or deconstruct as they have with other towers in the city.

Yeah but – how can you send people in there to plant new explosives when it might collapes at any minute? Hence artillery.

matt_outandabout

@greatape – 😆

epicyclo

Tourist attraction, isn’t it?

Leaning Tower o’ Glasgae

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I used to live on the 26th floor of one of the blocks that’s still standing. It use to sway like hell on a windy day. It was a great place to live. We basically had a year long party.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Yeah but – how can you send people in there to plant new explosives when it might collapes at any minute? Hence artillery.

Artillery? In a cit centre? I would love to see the risk assessment for that!

I don’t know what they will do but I could never imagine they would use artillery.

timba
    Free Member

They’ll have something at Faslane with pinpoint accuracy at 25 miles range, it wouldn’t even need to cast off

joshvegas
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

Was reading something on a demolition industry website (yes, I know) which said that considering the size of the job and all the things that could have gone wrong, it could have been a lot worse. Dropping things straight down always has the risk that it’ll do this.

epicyclo

They could ask the experts at Al Quaeda. Apparently they have some expertise in dropping towers.

The trouble is we are running out of innocent countries to invade afterwards.

poly
    Free Member

It’s slightly over exaggerated media reporting as usual. The plan was always to leave part of those two standing, I think the plan was for 9 stories to stay up and be mechanically disassembled. Theyve been left with something like 13 stories instead. No big issue.

I do like the idea that Weegies are just tougher though!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

They were intending to leave the bottom 10 storeys standing.

bencooper
    Free Member

When I was doing a framebuilding course at Springburn College 20 years ago, there were lots of people doing other kids of metalwork. In the casting shop, there was one big bloke with a shaved head, who just spent all his time casting stuff. We eventually plucked up our courage and asked him what he was making.

“Cannonballs.”
    “What for?”
    “For my cannon.”

Turned out he lived in the Red Road flats, and had set a homemade cannon up on his balcony. Never found out what happened to him.

Rubber_Buccaneer

They were intending to leave the bottom 10 storeys standing

Much easier than leaving the top 10 🙂

muddy9mtb

too little explosives…here’s one the chinese made earlier (with loss of life)
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1q3HwB0y0[/video]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Botched demolition’ is closed to new replies.