Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bos Vipr – is it knackered?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

The Vipr on my Rocket felt rather strange today – very wallowy under compression and rather noisier than it usually is. Bobbed like a goodun when pedalling hard. Rebound is fine, but the lockout does diddly (it’s not a full lockout, but should stiffen noticeably). Air pressure is fine, before you ask – first thing I checked.

Now I’m home, I’ve stripped off the airsleeve, but there’s no obvious oil leakage. Cycling it by hand it feels smooth, there’s no cavitation and the rebound knob does still affect the return speed, however the lockout definitely does nothing.

So is it possible to blow the compression circuit without affecting the rebound? I tend to think of dampers as either working all OK, or being very obviously faulty (leaks, cavitation), with nothing in between.

(It’s been a fraction over a year since it’s last full service)

Thanks!

hora
    Free Member

Have you accidently run the lever mid-point? (Easy to do)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

No – something I’m pretty careful not to do.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Oh this doesn’t sound good, am thinking about a vipr to run with my new devilles.

hora
    Free Member

One user comment and you are binning a choice? Dont look at Pikes then..

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As far as the shock itself goes, it’s been easily the best airshock I’ve used (although I’ve not tried the latest generation of Fox/RS/CC). Still not quite as good as a coil though…

However I have had experience of the famous Bos “customer service” (2.5 month turnround for a warranty issue!!), so I’d never put money into more of their products. It’s entirely possible Stif have finally managed to beat Bos into providing the necessary backup, but personally not interested in finding out. Thanks to Cy for sorting me out with a loan shock in the intervening time!

Anyway – thats a little bit of a digression…

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Nitrogen might have leaked…mine did something similar.

Send it to J-tech. Just sorted mine recently

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

No hora, I have done my research as trying to decide over a ccdb air inline or vipr.

I suppose you had a wealth of understanding your’s then having had it errr so long and test riding it properly then…!
    lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bos Vipr – is it knackered?’ is closed to new replies.