Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bos Devilles (TRC QUERY) or go for RS Pike DJs
  • hopeychondriact
    Free Member

So I need to know whether to go for a set of Bos Devilles or RS Pike DJs?

What does TRC feature offer?

The only experience I have of Bos are an old set of Ndees round a carpark and they felt like nothing I have tried before.

Or RS Pike DJs which I have only felt Pikes in showroom which got me curious of modern RS forks.

Will the dampening be far superior on the Bos Devilles than Pikes as I believe it or not CAN make out differences in good kit to excellent kit even if I don’t race.

Were there any issues with older Bos Devilles ’13 model to be specific?

tia 🙂

jamj1974

The damping on Devilles is excellent. Works superbly all through the stroke. TRC change the compression curve to make forks firmer and bob less when climbing. TBH they are not super-prone to bobbing when class moving anyway.

jamj1974

The damping on Devilles is excellent. Works superbly all through the stroke. TRC change the compression curve to make forks firmer and bob less when climbing. TBH they are not super-prone to bobbing when class moving anyway.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Are the Pike DJs not setup for slopstyle / dirt jumping, so lots of compression damping & not the best for general trail riding?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Ok so TRC just stiffens up the Travel, thanks for confirming that
    wondering now how much servicing costs on the Deville.

I am going to lose 24mm so pretty much an inch in axle to crown height over the X-fusion Velvet 140mm 650b ready forks I had so will steepen by a degree I guess in head angle so should improve an used to be slack HA.

As for the RS Pike,,,
    Not sure as DJs description doesn’t give away much.
    I was only looking at them as they are in 26″ and 140mm travel to suit my frame.

My main concern is that I will be dissapointed by the RS dampening and overall feel and the fact they dive according to reviews.

I have always been unlucky with RS forks in the past and feel that at that
    kinda price, I am not looking to risk it but was beginning to be open to the idea of a new Pike.

mildred

With you looking at the Pike Dirt Jump version, what’s the intended use of the forks? The deville has better damping than the Pike, but not by much; if you’re sensitive to how a fork feels then you may notice/benefit. I’ve had a couple of sets of Devilles & a Vipr shock – all have been excellent; they’re pretty bullet prof with long service intervals. That said, Bos were awful to deal with when I had an issue with the shock (never bothered answering emails etc). Don’t bother with the TRC version; they’re so well controlled it’s fairly irrelevant

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

thanks for the input mildred, as for the pike djs, they would be used primarily on my trail bike which happens to be my only bike now.
    I am a heavy rider but like to think I am smoother than my weight suggests.
    I ride mainly natural trails but am wanting to check out trail centres if that makes any difference…?

I just ride along up and down, they call it all mountain these days but I just call it riding. 😛

In regards to Bos servicing, now that Jungle are the sorters of this if any faff arises, is that a good or bad thing? as never had experience with any warranty work for bike kit I’m pretty certain so unsure of the merits of Bos’ new disty in the UK.

Yes I thought the TRC version may well be too much faff to go wrong and the fact I like things errrr SIMPLE. 😆

I’m also guessing that the Pike DJs will be inherently stiffer dampening from standard.

wiggles
    Free Member

Jungle still don’t do anything with them in the UK just tell you to send them to BOS

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

REALLY!?

So who actually services within the UK then. I was under the assumption that Jungle the distributor would have a UK service centre surely…???

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Oh Mildred, one more thing, are they easy to adjust the reb and comp meaning, how many clicks does one comp or reb take to have an effect?

mildred

The Pikes are definitely not a divey fork – they’re very well supported in the mid stroke, and perhaps a little too unwilling to give up all of their travel (in comparison to the Devilles). I think the DJ have more red volume spacers which makes them ramp up quicker still.

Bos have already had descent distributors in the past but have let them down by not producing or supplying essential parts. TF it’s to deal with them but gave up, R53 used to import and distribute them but couldn’t get spares, Surf Sales – same story, and unless something has dramatically changed at that company, I’m sure Jungle will experience the same problems.

It’s a shame because they make truly brilliant products that are as close to perfection as I’ve ever tried. For example, I snapped off my valve stem whilst on holiday in France, and not one retailer could get hold of a spare. I even rang their head office & factory in Toulouse and offered to drive to them and collect it; they were great in the phone ad asked me to email a picture to their technician who never bothered replying. I rang again to be told by the embarrassed customer service lady that the technicians will only supply one to an official distributor in the UK, despite me being literally down the road from them.

If this tells you anything – I now run Pikes.

mildred

From memory, the recommendation is that you make 2 clicks adjustment at a time then try them. If it’s too much then take it back by 1 click. The adjustments make a difference all through their range and not just at the end like some manufacturers.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

woahhhh, what a **** game that sounded like in France to be let down like that.

Ok so now am thinking differently or edging on the side of caution with Bos.

Can you please tell me if TF still service them or not?

Gotta say those Pike Djs look the business!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Almost forgot to praise you bud on your wise info and experience with these forks.

have a 😀 on me as virtual pints don’t quite do justice. ;-d

mildred

No TF won’t touch them.

Mad Elk in Ireland & J-Tech in UK.

I was certain Jungle were set up for service too & recall reading somewhere that their technicians had been and done their Bos training. It’s definitely be worth speaking to Jungle – they a great company to deal with and given they’re the distributor they’d be best placed to advise you.

I must also say that Surf Sales were brilliant with mine – they sorted my broken valve stem in a couple of days once I was back in the UK; it may be worth speaking to them too.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Jungle do service them I got a quote for around £120ish only about 4 weeks ago

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Is there a max air pressure for sag on them?

thanks for the above info. much appreciated.

wiggles
    Free Member

Maybe they do service but I was told by them this week they don’t do any warranty on them in the UK and to send to BOS.

honourablegeorge

Odd… MAd Elk are a wee shop in Ireland, but do warranty service as well as selling parts

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

thanks for the info guys.
    🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

Pike DJs will have stiff harsh damping if they are a proper DJ fork, you wouldn’t want them on a trail bike, get some 150s or 160s and reduce them down to 140

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bos Devilles (TRC QUERY) or go for RS Pike DJs’ is closed to new replies.