Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • BOS Deville recall?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Apparently my buddy just had a call from YT stating there’s a Deville recall due to CSU interface? The caveat being you have to pay for a service, which he would usually do himself. Has anyone heard similar?

bruneep

YT Industries – Service Note BOS Deville

Dear YT customer,

You recently chose a YT bike with BOS suspension. We have been informed by BOS that all BOS Deville forks, which were purchased after January 1, 2014 must be brought to an authorized service partner for the mandatory annual service. Please find an excerpt from the letter that we have received from BOS below:

„After numerous tests on DEVILLE forks it appears, that in very rare situations, a malfunction may result in a breakdown. This malfunction is limited to only DEVILLE forks purchased on or after January 1st, 2014 which have not received a required annual service. […] In order to remove the risk of damage, BOS is kindly asking you to please notify your customers who purchased a bike equipped with a DEVILLE delivered on or after January 1st, 2014 that a control visit is necessary. If the required annual service has already been performed, this control is not necessary.”

Unfortunately, BOS has not given us any information about previous tests and the possible malfunctions. We neither have any insight nor any influence on the issue with the DEVILLE forks. It is therefore very important that you remove the fork and send it to an authorized service-center to test its proper functionality and reliability during the mandatory annual service. In case the annual service for 2016 has already been carried out, an additional service will not be necessary. Additionally, we strongly advise forks that have already been equipped in our bikes since 2012 and have not yet been at an authorized service-center, to be sent to the appropriate partner.

In case you have sold your bike or the fork in the meantime, we would kindly ask you to forward the contact details of the new owner to us. We would like to inform him/her accordingly about the necessary measures.

You can find a list of authorized service centers attached. Please note that you will be billed for the service by the respective center.

We want you to enjoy your bike as long as possible and ask you to definitely follow the recommendation of BOS accordingly. If you have any further questions please email us atservicenote@yt-industries.com.

Your YT Service Team

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

YT/BOSS make you pay for a recall? 😀

thered

It could not be a safety issue which would avoid it being a ‘recall’. However that letter states malfunction leading to breakdown which is clearly a recall and iirc it’s illegal to charge or insist on chargeable remedial work, can’t see that only applying to car industry.

zerocool

We got this email, trying to decide if it’s worth getting them serviced now or wait until they’re due the service.
    Has anyone died from them yet? Or actually know what the problem is? As the YT email says BOS haven’t told them?
    And I assume from the email that a service will sort it rather than only find the fault.

LAT

Only speculating, perhaps they have been replacing the CSU at service time while not issuing a recall. That would be a bit cheeky if ther is a safety issue.

Contact BOS or a service place and see what they say. It could be happening to aftermarket folks, too.

bruneep

Says you pay for the service, they may change or add parts FOC.

Forks shipped with wrong oil levels?

makkag
    Free Member

“Forks shipped with wrong oil levels?”

is what i heard but nothing official – mine are due for annual service end of month im waiting to get any further news before deciding what to do

martinhutch

Do the warranty terms specify servicing at an approved centre, or not? If not, I would be pretty cheesed off.

thered

Warranty terms do stipulate that the svc needs to be done at an authorised svc centre

mrflaky
    Free Member

I got this as well, I have dropped Jungle a note asking for more details of what is needed and why, also regarding the question about warrenty/recall.

Will let you know what I hear back

partickbateman
    Free Member

Mine due a service too but this seems a bit dodgy. So they have recently determined there is a safety issue, but a fork bought on 1st Jan 2014 then serviced on 1st Jan 2015 would be ok, despite the issue not being apparent at the time?

Oil levels sounds about right in that case – would get picked up at service but not before.

Look forward to hearing what you come back with mrflaky.

julians
    Free Member

How can oil levels be considered a safety issue? Sounds like they’re just trying to reduce warranty claims but without admitting fault

boltonjon

Hmmm, all a bit of a worry

I have yet to send my forks to Jungle but had been keen to know what their turn around time is like – but if all forks are meant to be sent back, this could really impact their resources and, more importantly, the BOS supplied spares situation

I had an oil change earlier in the year, so if they could clarify that, then i’l be happy

mrflaky
    Free Member

@boltonjon – asked about turn around times as well, have a few uplifts and riding weekends booked in Sept & Oct so worried about how long it will all take.

bruneep

From Jungle

I have just come back from holiday to news of this email to YT customers. I am not sure weather or not this potential issue can effect any other forks other than YT OE forks. Bos are closed until 13th Sept so unfortunately I cannot find out any further information until they re-open.

Thanks

thered

If they’re closed, why are they sending that email to YT?

bruneep

Bos email YT with possible issues, they then discuss emails back and forth over a period of time (weeks/days). An agreed email is sent out by YT just as BOS shut for holiday period. Email I have from YT is dated 2nd Sept

Not that difficult to work out a timeline.

arogers
    Free Member

I have nothing useful to add, but the scanty information in this thread is enough to convince me never to buy a BOS product. A disgraceful way to treat customers.

mrflaky
    Free Member

Well, heard back from Jungle, still going backwards and forwards to actually find out what the issue is, and to see if any other tuners or servicing companies can do the work, as the turn around is looking like it could be circa 2 weeks.

From the fact that they say if you have had yours serviced then there won’t be any issue I suspect something like the wrong type or wrong amount of oil is fairly likely…..

Will let you know if I find out any more.

julians
    Free Member

Doesn’t actually sound very much like a safety issue then? Probably is just an oil type/quantity problem

mrflaky
    Free Member

Little update:

Well looks like you can use other tuners to do the work;

“If they have carried out the work to the Bos specification using Bos oil and seals then the fault will have been rectified.”

Still feels a bit like they should be doing this for free, but suspect that will not happen….

buckster
    Free Member

using Bos oil and seals

Sounds like somebody got the wrong bits out of the stores one day

partickbateman
    Free Member

Great forks but wouldn’t buy again. Quite ridiculous for a business to completely shut down for a month over summer. Already had an issue with my seals when new and sent them back for a service, so not sure that counts or not. Would be nice to have someone to ask…

bruneep

From j-tech

It’s nothing a normal service doesn’t cover. It’s just as I thought – oil volumes and also a piston nut that’s possible not to the correct torque. These are both covered in a service.

Liftman

I have just serviced my bos devilles and changed the seals with new proper bos ones bought from jungle.
    What was also in the seal kit was a new cirllip to replace the one at the bottom of the stantion on the air side, this circlip seams to be slightly different design than the original and on the parts sheet that comes with the kit it is marked as an upgrade.
    As the circlip comes with the seal kit I assume that is why yt/bos are stating it will be sorted during a service.

jimplops

Not a BOS owner, but a bit sly you pay for the part we screwed up with so it doesn’t cost anything, good will gesture would be get them.serviced asap and we’ll cover the cost.

transition1
    Free Member

Interesting, Jan 2014 was when Jungle took over from Surf Sales as BOS distributer for UK. I remember them setting up with all the new BOS stuff at The Bike Place show as they were on the stand next to me.

brad82
    Free Member

This sounds like a complete liberty, BOS has admitted that there is a manufacturing fault on forks that they have sold and they expect customers to pay for a service to rectify the issue!!

I’ve emailed jungle and had this reply

Thanks for getting in touch about this email. The potential issue with these forks will have been rectified if the forks have been serviced in the past, or have had any warranty work carried out on them. If this is the case then nothing further needs to be done.

If you have had no work completed on the forks then they will require a first service, this will rectify the issue. As the first annual service is required to maintain any warranty cover, this is a chargeable service, as highlighted in the original email from YT.

The basic service cost is £75 and if you want a full service (including new seals and decals) this would be £125. To have your forks serviced please visit http://www.jungleproducts.co.uk and complete the Bos service request form, print a copy and send it in with your forks. Please note that due to this request from Bos / YT we are experiencing a high volume of service requests, should you want to enquire about the turnaround time on a service please email workshop@jungleproducts.co.uk and an estimate will be provided from Tuesday onwards. At the moment the estimated turnaround is 2 weeks.

Should you have any further questions please get in touch.

brad82
    Free Member

I then sent this reply and am waiting for a them to get back to me!

Thanks for your reply, this still sounds like owners of these forks are being charged for rectifying a manufacturing fault that should be covered by warranty or by a recall if as said in the original email “a malfunction may result in a breakdown”.

Also isn’t the warranty on these forks 12 months? so why would the first annual service be required to maintain warranty cover?

If a service is required to fix the possible malfunction then this should be paid for BOS under warranty as it is there responsibility as they have sold the forks with a now known malfunction.

jamj1974

Disgusting responses the issue from Bos! As a purchaser of multiple forks and shocks from them – I am concerned and disappointed.

csb

Those of you whose forks came on a built bike should be dealing only with the retailer of the bike, who is responsible for the safety of the products they sold. Don’t be fobbed off with excuses from their parts supplier.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the bike is from YT in Germany then they should be dealing with it, or at least jungle billing the parent or German distributor.
    On another note how long have people gone without a fork service? If your not sticking to the service schedule there is some risk. As mentioned above if it’s oil and a bolt, and over a year you have no warranty so just service it yourself.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘BOS Deville recall?’ is closed to new replies.