Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Borrowdale Bash – conditions/weather viable for tomorrow?
  • skydragon
    Free Member

Planning to do the Borrowdale Bash near Keswick tomorrow, starting late morning.

Weather forecast seems ok, with temperatures (just) above freezing and winds lower than recent. Sleet/rain forecast on/off throughout the day.

I’ve not done this route before and would not be comfortable going on some of the higher peaks in the lakes in the current weather conditions we are having (Hellvellyn was having 60mph+ gust and snow/ice earlier today) but noting that this route stays below 400m, can anyone with local knowledge please advise whether conditions are likely to be ok for a safe ride tomorrow.

Thanks

scaredypants

you like wet slate, yeah ?

😥

skydragon
    Free Member

Beats sitting at home 😉 can’t just ride the lakes when it’s dry and don’t mind it being a bit slippy as long as it isn’t slate encased in ice…

chakaping
    Free Member

Not local but ridden it plenty of times in rain, snow etc and it’s never let us down.

Great route for bad weather. Do it.

scaredypants

see, I’m a mudslugger from daaarn saaaarf – wet slate makes me all scared

postierich
    Free Member

Perfect for bad weather
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/e5Y6HX]Photo by Gavin Maudsley[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/e64M4q]Photo by Gavin Maudsley[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/e5Qxcy]DSCF2782[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Dave
    Free Member

Rode it last Thursday, it’s moist…

jekkyl

go on, have a bash at it. 😆

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Its probably the best all round wet weather route in the lakes,In winter, I would recommend starting at Grange Hamlet, do the terrace first and then your legs are warmed up for the Watendlath climb,finishing on the Castle crag descent means your in the best parking place should you get mechanicals or need to bale out for any reason. dual plys recommended,armour and a full bouncer is ideal. Good little cafe in Grange too, enjoy its short but a cracker.

TomB

Not slate either, that’s Skiddaw area. The bash is completely rain-proof, only tricky in ice, which there won’t be tomorrow.
    Have fun!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Great little loop & so long as it’s not too windy you can easily extend it going by up Honister & go round fleetwith Pike to buttermere & back up to re join the bash or Honister & up onto Dale Head & down to the tarn then down through the old mine workings to rejoin before Castle Crag, either way a smashing ride.

postierich
    Free Member

Some people have been known to dabble on Catbells during midweek!

boxelder

See below

boxelder

Stay off the tops (Dale Head, Cat Bells) with the wind as is. Route will be great. The oft quoted extension on Walla Crag will be horrid. If looking to extend, push/cary over Cat Bells col and use the newly upgraded BW on the north side.
    Up beneath Black Crag and descend the black dashes (respect if dabless)
    Here

ewen
    Free Member

Terrain is pretty weather proof on the Bash, The wind is your main problem, though it does seem a bit calmer tonight and the forecast is not as windy for tomorrow. Alternatives include hiding from the wind in Grizedale Forest, Claife or around the slate quarries of Hodge Close and Tilberthwaite. I appreciate these are in the south though. Cheers. Ewen

skydragon
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, guidance and advice guys, much appreciated.

Will start at Grange as suggested above (looking at the map, I can see how this makes good sense). Will also take pads and FF.

Camelbac filled, bike checked over and ready to roll in the morning 🙂

….STW raffle of bike and five-tens later in the week, if I get eaten by sheep on the way round 😆

parkedtiger
    Free Member

There are plenty of opportunities to bail back into town on tarmac if the weather does turn too foul.

skydragon
    Free Member

No raffle I’m afraid, got round ok. Weather turned out to be a non-event in the end, although it was bitterly cold on the tops in the wind. Great route, really, reslly enjoyed it, must go back and session some of the more techy bits later in the year with some friends. Btw – Can see how people end up shredding tyres on it, there are some very sharp rocks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Borrowdale Bash – conditions/weather viable for tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.