Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Borrow please……..Copy of Windows XP Home
  • shredder
    Free Member

Due to an earlier thread, laptop is currently dead. I have been advised I can remove the drive and place in a caddy to rescue some family photo's.

But first I would like to try and repair the OS fault. Laptop came with Windows XP home media edition. But no actual disc, taped to the back of the machine is my XP key.

Would gladly pay for postage and a contribution to your Paypal bike fund etc etc, to borrow a XP installation disc.

Anyone help please ???

Many thanks
    Rich

Stoner
    Free Member
    pantsonfire
    Free Member

I have the CDs that came with my old laptop I dont know what XP version it was or even if they would be any use to you but your welcome to them

There are 3 CDs, 2 reload Cds and an XP drivers CD.

s
    Free Member

shredder – I was in the same situation recently, my xp disk was cracked, thanks kids!

Well it gave me a chance to install Ubuntu, easy to set-up/get up and running online too.

Another option worth thinking about

http://www.ubuntu.com/

shredder
    Free Member

Hi Guys im writing this from my works laptop which has all USB/disc drives disabled (thanks employer) so cant burn/download anything. My actual laptop is dead, with an OS system fault. Hence needing the disc/discs to carry out a repair, allowing me back into the computer.

Pantsonfire they sound like they could do the trick if thet are def XP, would gladly send back to you once done.

Thanks
    Rich

Peetee
    Free Member

Hi Rich,

Happy to send you a CD to keep… is it XP Home Edition or Media Centre Edition you need?

Cheers, Pete

shredder
    Free Member

Hi Peetee

The laptop came installed with XP Media centre edition. But what I am ultimately going to do is repair Windows with the installation disc, so I can get back onto the computer. Then backup the files/pictures I need. Then do a complete system restore to take the laptop back to factory fresh. So does the Windows edition I borrow have to be a media edition or will just home do ?

Thanks
    Rich

pantsonfire
    Free Member

shredder if you want the 3 discs I have put an email address on my profile send me your address and I will stick the discs in a jiffy bag and post tommorow morning. If they work put a quid in the next charity box you come across if they are no good then you can keep them as novelty beer mats

johnners
    Free Member

this looks like a well seeded version listed on Piratebay

Looks like a Retail version, unlikely to work with an OEM key. Watch out for region coding too. Any licencing problem with XP is easily surmounted with Google though.

im writing this from my works laptop which has all USB/disc drives disabled (thanks employer)

Sounds a bit like your employers know what they're doing. In our organisation a Works laptop is just that, a Works laptop. USB and drive lockdown is a very good idea unless there's a robust case for enabling them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Borrow please……..Copy of Windows XP Home’ is closed to new replies.