Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Borrow My Doggy
  • bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I want a dog, but due to current circumstances cannot commit to owning a dog. But do have relatively fixed times I could look after one during the week.

Bit of googling gave me the Borrow My Doggy website.

Anyone used it, either as a borrower or a borrowee(?), and have any thoughts? I know it all depends on the people involved, but thought I would see if anyone has used it.

*awaits dogging/tinder/dating jokes*

bodgy
    Free Member

The Cinnamon Trust have a ‘pet buddying’ scheme to help elderly people who no longer have the mobility to walk their dogs etc. Might be worth a look.

sandwicheater

Just steal one.

Loads in our local park seem to just be feral. I’m almost sure it would be fine. Just bring it back to the park when you are finished. You may even get a reward for returning it, win win!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The Cinnamon Trust have a ‘pet buddying’ scheme to help elderly people who no longer have the mobility to walk their dogs etc. Might be worth a look.

Cheers for the link, will check it out.

jonnyrobertson

In true STW fashion you ask for an opinion one one thing and I offer an opinion on something else…

I have never heard of Borrow My Doggy but I do know of The Cinnamon Trust. It’s a lovely charity that offers fostering and rehoming services for people’s pets amd they are always on the lookout for dog walkers to assist those who have pets but just need that bit more help in allowing them to keep their companions. It may not be quite what you’re after but it’s a lovely concept. Have a look at http://www.cinnamon.org.uk and look at volunteers. They have a map so you can see if there is anyone near to you that needs a hand. You can register with them as well so if something did come up they’d let you know.

*EDIT* beaten to it 😆

fionap

I’ve used Borrow My Doggy in the past (before we got our dog). It worked well. However I would probably use DogBuddy these days – then you get paid to look after the dog.

kayak23

I was in the pub garden with my girlfriend and a sozzled female Uni student came up and made a massive fuss of the dog Barney…

….and while doing so, suggested that we register him on Borrow my Doggy, so that she could take him for walks and fuss him etc.

Had never heard of it before but seems a good option for those busy working a lot.

northshoreniall

There was really good documentary on Channel 4 last week that may help – secret lives of human pups, sure you will pick up some tips.

DezB
    Free Member

.borrowmydoggy was actually featured on a telly programme. Mightve been that Rachael Riley thing (not Coutndown) on ITV? Anyway, that sort of publicity can only mean it’s grown so you should be able to find something local on there.

piha
    Free Member

You could contact any local dog rescues near you and offer some of your time to them. Some rescues are happy to allow their dogs time away from kennels (half a day to weekends and more) and the dogs can benefit hugely from the human contact.

Be warned though, it’s very easy to become attached to a rescue dog and after a couple of fosters you can become a failed fosterer. Ex-rescue dog Suede is happily snoring away in his bed next to me as I type.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

There was really good documentary on Channel 4 last week that may help – secret lives of human pups, sure you will pick up some tips.

Way ahead of you…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just as a follow up. I finally got registered with BMD, and after a week I took Kip out. A rescue Border who is scared of footballs. Took him out on the lead first time today, but next time he’ll be off it.

It’s still quite an odd experience. Almost like a dating site, but with dogs. Met the owner last night and we went for a walk to see how we got on with each other, me and the dog.

Lots of trust involved as well really, as lots of owners give borrowers house keys, but it is a really good idea for borrowers and owners alike, and if it allows more people to keep dogs they may have otherwise had re-homed, it’s a good thing.

Professional dog walkers must be livid.

MoreCashThanDash

Almost like a dating site, but with dogs.

Sounds like most of the dating threads on here!

Bregante

We’re in this position. We’d absolutely love a dog but with both of us having busy working lives it just isn’t conducive to dog ownership.

So we borrow one from our ex-childminder most weekends. We’ve entered her into doggy shows and won prizes too. She is lovely.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’ll admit it, I am in dog heaven. Going to take a St. Bernard out next week for a laugh. Might try and ride it.*

*If the owners of either BMD or the St Bernard are reading, I am not going to do this.

maccruiskeen

Professional dog walkers must be livid.

Perhaps. The advantage perhaps that the ‘pros’ can probably offer is a bit of structure and dependability. You’d walk a dog when and as often as you want to. Professional dog walkers do it when they’re told to and that on-demand aspect is what people who’d pay to have a pet walked are paying for.

Once niche something like this does help fill though is people’s who’s dogs are a bit difficult or daft. My mum sometimes needs the help of a walker for her dog. But he’s an ex-rescue dog with some un-known trauma in his past and he gets really distressed in the company of, even sight of, other dogs. Something its difficult to find is professional walkers who’ll just walk one dog.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Borrow My Doggy’ is closed to new replies.