Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Born to Run is 40
  • gordimhor

Personally think this is the best track.A Clarence Clemmons song. [video]https://youtu.be/733lnFy9w-c[/video]

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

When I found Born To Run I was riding motorbikes at night a lot so..
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJKdq1vSwUI[/video]

The album is so good, this was recorded but didn’t make it

BigJohn

Frankie Goes To Hollywood did a better version.

surfer
    Free Member

Darkness on the edge of town is still my favourite and I remember being introduced to it as a 16 year old in 1980 by a very cool girlfriend 😳

Personally think this is the best track

Me too

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I bought the 25th aniversary CD pack (!). Came with a DVD of his Hammersmith Apollo gig – worth seeking out of you’re a fan. Must have been an incredible gig.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thunder Road wasn’t a Clemons track was it? Everything I’ve read suggests it was a Springsteen tune. Still, one of my favourite tracks and albums of all time.

Pigface
    Free Member

As I get older I appreciate how good Springsteen is. Greetings from Asbury Park is a brilliant debut album.

gordimhor

@mikey74 you’re right I just meant that the big man’s sax steals the show.

surfer
    Free Member

The album is so good, this was recorded but didn’t make it

“Night” is the 3rd track

richmars

Still going strong in his sixties. I hope I have his energy when I’m his age. Plus the music is still as good as it was 40 years ago (IMO).

Edit: Have a look at Thunder Road at the end of his Brisbane concert. That’s after nearly 4 hours on stage!

sc-xc

The stripped down version of Thunder Road is my favourite (there’s a version on Live 75-85, and a slightly different version on the Hammersmith one. An acoustic guitar version has featured on his recent tours…

Always go and watch him when he’s in the UK, have seen some great gigs over the years. Last time at Wembley he played all of Darkness – Racing in the street was perfect for a late summer afternoon.

Always preferred the old stuff – loved the first couple of albums. Nebraska remains brilliant, but recently I have been listening to Tunnel of Love again. It passed me by when it came out (although the first time I saw him was on that tour)…but nowadays it sounds really good.

It’s often said, but everyone should see a Bruce Springsteen show at least once in their life…

plumber
    Free Member

I went to his Born in the USA tour – worst gig I’ve ever been too

When I was told he would be back to play another hour I nearly died

Dull

surfer
    Free Member

@Plumber Thats interesting I saw him in Roundhey Park and thought he was great. His concerts are hard work though!

And by the combined miracles of Spotify and “home working” I am motivated to indulge in a Springsteen fest!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

“Night” is the 3rd track

youtube being barred at work I can’t confirm this, but I think the track that didn’t make should have been Because The Night, which he did when i saw him live. Brilliant.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 I prefer the acoustic version of Thunder Road. Great track. One of my favourites lyrics is “and in the lonely cool before dawn”. Always remembered that.

surfer
    Free Member

Because The Night

Brilliant track and it certainly did Pati Smith a big favour!

Pigface
    Free Member

I love Racing in the Street, was a real guilty pleasure of mine, now its not guilty at all. 😆

avdave2

As I get older I appreciate how good Springsteen is

Same here, Didn’t really get it when I was younger. Thunder road is a great track and I too love the acoustic versions but I think Nebraska and Darkness on the Edge of Town are my favourite albums.

Northwind

Some things age well, some badly, some just don’t age 😆

(love the acoustic Thunder Road, it takes on a totally different tone, the electric version feels like a spit in the face, hell with you, we’re outta here and we’re going to make it! Acoustic feels like lost people making a desperate jump off a cliff just hoping you land somewhere better, hey what else can we do now? Frank Turner does a super-miserable cover of it that I love…)

Especially once you hear the Promise. Thunder Road, take it all and throw it away… When I first heard sprinsteen all I heard was the big band tunes and the ringing major chords but he can be a right emo 😆

lemonysam
    Free Member

On the missing track issue, I always thought Because The Night was from the Darkness On The Edge of Town period. On a side note, for me Born To Run is the worst of his classic albums.

gordimhor

I ve heard many versions of Candys Room but keep coming back to this [video]https://youtu.be/83ZfgsQ9Afw[/video]

surfer
    Free Member
    gordimhor

Thanks Northwind hadn’t heard the promise that’ll be another album added to download list

Northwind

I was meaning the song rather than the album but, it’s a decent album too!

slowoldman

Frankie Goes To Hollywood did a better version.

The best.
    “I’m sorry I left me cards at ‘ome”.

onlysteel
    Free Member

If you guys up above haven’t already done so, I strongly recommend the series of archive shows now available thru live.brucespringsteen.net. Crystal Cat have put out the WB Wembley show, which is essential for Darkness fans. Not too hard to track down. Also some great solo acoustic shows around – will be interesting to see if they appear in remastered form in the archive series. Fingers crossed.

As you may have figured, I have a bit of a Springsteen obsession…..

Born to Run bought late 1975, on cassette. Astonishingly, the title track was split across sides 1 & 2. By my reckoning I now must have 5 or 6 copies in various formats. Still go back to Darkness tho’. The full The Promise set is well worth getting a hold of. Now waiting on The River box.

Northwind

onlysteel – Member

which is essential for Darkness fans.

Ace, I loved Christmas Time (Don’t Let The Bells End)

mikey74
    Free Member

@mikey74 you’re right I just meant that the big man’s sax steals the show.

Ah! Furrry muff.

for me Born To Run is the worst of his classic albums.

Really? As a fairly new fan I’m slowly working my through his catalogue. Currently, I have Born to Run, The River, Darkness…, and the 1975 Live Hammy O. So far, Born to Run is my favourite. The River is great, but I feel it could have been condensed down into one CD. Darkness… hasn’t clicked with me yet.

richmars
    pocketrocket
    Free Member

The Mrs is a massive Springsteen fan something she inherited from her parents, so much so, she walked down the aisle to the intro of Jungleland.
    I never really appreciated just what a nice piece of music it was till that moment, can’t listen to it now without getting a little misty eyed 😳

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Really? As a fairly new fan I’m slowly working my through his catalogue. Currently, I have Born to Run, The River, Darkness…, and the 1975 Live Hammy O. So far, Born to Run is my favourite. The River is great, but I feel it could have been condensed down into CD. Darkness… hasn’t clicked with me yet.

Tell me more. Somehow I never delved deep – I’ve only ever had Born to Run and Darkness. What should I add to my playlist first?

avdave2

Try Nebraska, IIRC it was recorded on a portable 4 track as a demo for the band to work from but then released as it was.

mav12
    Free Member

this ia cracker apart from the annoying yank who got the origional group wrong it was the crystals

[video]http://youtu.be/6TH-ixHYHIQ[/video]

richmars

Tell me more. Somehow I never delved deep – I’ve only ever had Born to Run and Darkness. What should I add to my playlist first?

All the above, plus some of the more recent ones, like Magic, High Hopes and Wrecking Ball. If you like Nebraska listen to The Ghost of Tom Joad.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Born to Run is 40’ is closed to new replies.