Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Born Again MTB. A Little Help Choosing A New Ride.
  • stumpylegs
    Free Member

Wotcha folks.
    So after a 10 year break I recovered my 2006 Carrera Kraken from my father’s garage. It had been stuffed in there to work abroad and previously it was on kiddy trailer towing duties.
    I went out for a few spins (and didn’t die as anticipated!) And now have also acquired a Cannondale Trail One 2011 vintage for my overseas job (touring).
    So a little personal info which might enable you experienced folk to aid me spend some cash.

I started riding MTB in the early 90’s. Of course it was all XC really and DH was exotica from the states to read about in MBUK. I had a Raleigh M-Trax ti, GT Zaskar, Carrera Zelos and then the Kraken. So nothing amazing.
    Being 5’10 and 105 kg with stumpy 29″ legs I really should have stuck with rugby, but it ain’t as much fun!

I’ve had a mini mid 40’s kick up the bum and have addressed a healthier diet and started cycling again. I feel so much better and then I went to Wind Hill B1kepark……
    Never had so much fun sober for a loooong time! So yeah it’s time to research some new wheels.
    To help me cut through the media must haves I’ve spent some dosh upgrading the Kraken. It now has Rockshox Recon 100mm forks as opposed to some heavy ornamental things adorning the frame. 740 mm bars and a 50mm stem. Along with grippy flats and 510’s and a pair
    Of sticky Minions. I’m understanding some of the preachings. Of course it’s bloody heavy for a hardtail and has a twitchy steering HA.
    My normal trails are singletrack through the forests with climbs and descents all built up by the local good guys at Longleat. And I’m going to be at Wind Hill pretty often.

So after that yawn inducing ramble we get to the good bit where you can spend someone else’s money!
    I’m looking at 2.5k max. I (think) I would like full suspension and 29er wheels. I tend to get arm pump so want anything to reduce fatigue. I’ve also suffered numb hands in the past alot. It seems anything long and low on the back puts my wrist at the wrong angle for me. I also have stumpy legs so it seems all size charts guide me to medium size.
    Recently I’ve been researching the Vitus Escarpe vrx 29. Of course I can’t ignore a Jeffsy Al one 29 and Bird Bikes are only down the road.
    In reality for a bike to be enjoyable on local trails and bike park outings what essential things should I be looking for? I’ll not be racing or doing monstrous doubles but I do want to improve at going up and down but mostly often and having fun.

I must say how impressed I’ve been with how mountain biking has matured. I see lots of guys out on the trails and the bike parks speak for themselves. I’m really happy to be back into it again.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Welcome back.

Crikey where does one start

T129 Whyte
    Jeffsy YT
    111 Kona

for starters

jekkyl

why do you think you want 29″ wheels?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpylegs
    Free Member

In all honesty the alleged rollability and the lower fatigue from a smoother ride.
    However I’m on a crappy hardtail with only 100mm of cheap suspension. So a FS 27.5 would be luxury!
    I literally don’t know which is why I wanted to follow the real life experiences of riders not journalists.

mark90
    Free Member

I’d add Cotic Flaremax to the list but it might stretch your budget a bit. Or a Specialized Camber 29er.

The longer reach bikes you say doesn’t suit your wrists but have you tried them? I’d have said they should suit long torso short legs.

If Bird are local and the 27.5 wheels aren’t a deal breaker then go demo a Aeris 120. It’s what I was thinking till you said 29er.

stumpylegs
    Free Member

I am definitely going to demo a Bird Aeris. Unsure about 120 or 145 yet so I guess both.
    I’m a little worried that having never ridden a FS yet alone 27.5 or 29 it’s all going to feel a bit weird.
    I understand Bird have exceptional customer service and advice so I guess that’s worth more than a 10k bike if it works for you.

Another question would be suspension travel. Do the longer travel bikes literally float over the roots and rough stuff or do they suck up more rider pedal energy?

I will be keeping the Cannondale Trail for more XC orientated rides so I’m leaning more towards a bike for the forest singletracks and bike park.

slackboy

Having just bought one, I’d add a Giant Trance 2 to the list as well, or the shorter travel anthem. The Trance climbs really well, especially for a 150mm travel bike.

stumpylegs
    Free Member

There’s something I like about the Trance but I’ve ruled it out. Considering it needs new bars, stem and tyres you can get a better specced Bird for the £££.
    2.5k seems an odd place for the global brands whereas the Internet and shop brands like Bird and Vitus appear to offer cracking value with good support.
    I guess there is a badge premium for many bikes which is another pitfall to negotiate around in this new again to me mtb world.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Be warned – almost everyone here who’s demoed a Bird has bought one.. 😉

stumpylegs
    Free Member

That’s what’s scaring my wife!

After a little cogitation I’m thinking going down the second hand route would be the most sensible option for now rather than delaying due to an annoyingly cash hungry house renovation.

I’d be looking for something with a relaxed and confidence inspiring front end and a fair amount of travel. Medium size and up to 1k.
    I’m in Wiltshire very close to Longleat Wind Hill if anyone has a suitable bike they want to offload.

Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Born Again MTB. A Little Help Choosing A New Ride.’ is closed to new replies.