Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Borked pivot bearing fixes?
  • ichabod
    Free Member

So I got unlucky with a second hand stumpy frame. The seller told me it had all new bearings which turned out to be untrue. They eventually agreed to pay £50 back to cover new ones which I fitted myself which was a total pain.

Unfortunately the rear dropout bearings on one side were seized solid and must have been rotating in the frame instead. This has slightly enlarged the press-fit socket in the frame which meant I could pop the new bearing in by hand with no tool required. I measured the socket and it is slightly out of round. I have ridden the bike like this for a few months but it is now loosening up and needs sorting.

A new seatstay is £200 from Specialized so don’t really want to resort to that if possible. Another idea I had was to find a machinist who could bore the socket out. This could then wither fit a larger bearing size or else shim it back down to fit the current size. Could this work? If so, can anyone recommend me a place to get it done? Ideally in London area!

Cheers!
    Dan

bigyinn
    Free Member

Metal filler or similar?

ichabod
    Free Member

Yeah that might be worth a shot – I have some JB weld at home which I had not considered. Do you think it would be tough enough? Also, will it ever come back out if I want to change the bearings?

ichabod
    Free Member
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

Unless it’s truly, utterly trashed, you should find that Loctite bearing lock will hold it in nicely – basically heavy duty threadlock designed for exactly the situation you describe.

Here

ichabod
    Free Member

Great thanks for the advice! Hard to work out which loctite is best but ordered some 641 in the end. Fingers crossed it should work as the socket is only ovalised by a tiny amount (hard to measure on my calipers).. I’ll update after a ride or two..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Borked pivot bearing fixes?’ is closed to new replies.