Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • boris johnson vs truck, and car CCTV footage
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Been done…in ban-worthy way!

househusband

Crikey! Bet the driver was pleased to see Boris as they surveyed the carnage…

project
    Free Member

Its now on Bikemagic.

Joxster
    Free Member

Was Ken Livingston driving?

mudmonster
    Free Member

lorry driver looked to be going pretty fast

Smee
    Free Member

Lorry driver is driving like a cock. I cant help but wonder if he just drove off though….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lorry driver is driving like a cock

Is he though ?

According to the report : “Round a corner peddled the mayor and the minister, enjoying the ride”. I somehow doubt whether the mayor and the minister who were ‘enjoying a ride’ through the centre of London were doing much more than 13 mph. And I don’t get the impression from that footage that the lorry was going much more than twice their speed.

I could be wrong though.

timdrayton
    Free Member

wheres the last post on this, who got banned and for what?

Smee
    Free Member

Yes he was driving like a cock – let me explain why. When they committed to the overtaking manoeuvre there wasn’t a large enough gap for them to get through, the were assuming that the cyclists would move over to allows them to pass, perhaps even trying to intimidate them into moving over. Also, if you look at the gap between the side of the truck and the parked cars you will notice that it is very small, perhaps a foot or two. How would you feel is a truck went past your car at 30mph with only a foot to spare?

Driver should have waited behind the cyclists until there was a safe overtaking opportunity. This wasn’t one .

Junkyard
    Free Member

**** hell another grand wasted but i’ll get him yet

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As far as I can see the cyclist did move over to allow the lorry past, the driver didn’t just assume that they would. I don’t think that driving 2 foot from a parked car is unacceptable – I do it all the time, and would probably do it more often if I drove something as wide as lorry. And I’m not convinced that was going as fast as 30 mph. Although he clearly wasn’t ‘crawling along’….. I won’t deny that perhaps he should have been, given that there were several cyclist in front of him.

But cock ? I doubt whether you would have concluded that had his rear door not come undone.

Smee
    Free Member

I would have said they were a cock for driving like that regardless. Don’t know enough about why the door opened to make a comment on that. More than likely wasn’t closed properly or mechanical failure – could happen to anyone.

To be fair on the guy, he is probably just trying to keep his job by driving like a cock to stick to the unrealistic and dangerous targets that his company will set for him.

james
    Free Member

“I don’t think that driving 2 foot from a parked car is unacceptable – I do it all the time, and would probably do it more often if I drove something as wide as lorry”

What if someone opens their car door?

When I used to drive tractors (most modern tractors are about 1 to 2 feet wider than lorries) through towns and built areas I’d always leave room for car doors opening

It was an ambitious overtaking move at best

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What if someone opens their car door?

If the vehicle driving past is about 2 foot away, what generally happens is that they smash their door.

Which is why I have always assumed that you are advised not to open your car door unless it is safe to do so.

Smee
    Free Member

You are also advised to drive far enough away from obstructions so as to leave a margin for error. Two mistakes are needed to take a car door off.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now that would make for interesting driving round London’s side streets Smee.

If you were never to drive closer to a parked vehicle than the width of it’s door.

And worth remembering next time a cyclist complains about a car door being opened on them.

Kahurangi

Said before (but is that thread dead?) that the lorry driver is going too fast.

Over a speed hump?

Looks like that set off the door falling open. Taking a hump at that speed would knock stuff over and knock the door open.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Have to place the blame with the lorry driver after watching that. Their rear doors weren’t secured, they were traveling too fast over the speed hump and they clearly were’t reading the road far enough ahead of them.

Looking at it, how lucky were any of those riders not to be collected by the parked car that the lorry driver pulled along with him!?!

Don’t worry though, CCTV footage of that won’t be considered in Court so the driver will be back on the streets soon.

naokfreek
    Free Member

All in, very lucky to be unhurt….. pretty scary stuff really…I know that the longer i keep couriering (if thats a word) think it is but can’t be arsed to check, the chances of random shit happening to me will go up, but nearly 4 years without a single accident can’t be bad….ps i’m not wishing to do another winter on the road, because i think my luck will run out…..but then again perhaps i’ll be fine…..thin ice, very small puddle.

Travis

all things happen for a reason! Now there might be better facilities for cyclists in London, reduced traffic measures etc

Glad that no-one was hurt, I would def. need a drink or two after that

naokfreek
    Free Member

More than two i think, jesus, that really is a close call.

solamanda
    Free Member

I don’t think the driver was being that dangerous but it’s clear that the speed bump speed might have been a contributing factor, but I’d imagine the blame is down to not closing it properly or mechanical failure.

Driving like that is perfectly normal and ‘acceptable’ in London. There are many reasons why I felt safer on a motorbike rather than a bicycle when I used to do the rat race.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

driver going too fast over speed bumps, inappropriate speed squeezing cyclists,inadequately secured doors open and destroy parked cars and almost kill half a dozen cyclists

that will be a £60 fine at best

falkirk-mark

What is going too fast over speed bumps ,surely if it a 30 limit you should be able to safely go over them at 30 .Much the same as if they want you to do 20 there should be a 20 limit placed and speed bumps placed you can go over at 20. (often wondered if you went over a speed bump at the allowed speed and damaged your car if you would have a claim against the council ?)

cynic-al
    Free Member

speed bumps exist to slow people down. It is not always safe to drive at the speed limit

BoardinBob

What is going too fast over speed bumps ,surely if it a 30 limit you should be able to safely go over them at 30

😆

garlic
    Free Member

Get that driver off the road NOW. Make an example of him.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sorry folks; that took months of careful planning, an’ all. Don’t worry, we’ll get him yet…

That lorry driver was driving like a cock. I know that area well; it’s a residential area, and I think there are 20mph limits along there. Anyway, the driver is going too fast, and overtakes where it is dangerous. Too many people use Narrow St as a rat-run, about time it was closed off as a through route. WTF is a lorry doing tooling along, at that speed, along there? I hope the driver is banned for a long time.

Forget whatever the speed limit s; no-one should be driving like that, along a street like that. Of a weekend, you’d find families out with kids and that, cycling along there. You do not want lorries doing 30mph or whatever, bombing along down there.

Ban all cars and lorries now.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘boris johnson vs truck, and car CCTV footage’ is closed to new replies.