Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Boris Bike catapulted me into the street – need advice
  • timnwild

Hi folks,

So – I was riding one of the ‘hire, ride, return’ public bikes that are available in Central London last Tuesday night. Barreling along the cycle lane at 7.20 p.m., when, without warning, one of the crank arms, with pedal attached, flies off the bike as I’m putting my weight on it. I stumble to the side, my foot drags along the tarmac, I stop the bike suddenly in the cycle lane. I consider retrieving the lost crank, but there are cyclists whizzing past me and heavy road traffic a kerb divider away, so I leave it. I turn around, and walk the bike back along the opposite lane of the cycle highway (with more cyclists whizzing past) because there’s no pavement, and I have to get the bike back to the nearest docking station.

A call to the Hire Scheme company secures the bike against anyone else taking it, and I take some photos of the damaged bike and gets it registration number, as well as registering a complaint.

Further discussion with the hire company reveals that the bike had its annual service just a month ago, and clearly passed it. It’s almost impossible for that fault to be user-generated by a previous rider, as there’s no external bolts that users can access.

Essentially, I think the hire company were negligent, and put me and other people at serious risk as a result. I wasn’t injured, so pursuing a personal injury claim isn’t an option. But if I’m not happy with what the hire company do or don’t offer by way of redress, does anyone have any opinion on what I could do next?

I’l obviously treat any replies as just friendly opinion, and not binding legal advice. 🙂 Thanks

taxi25
    Free Member

Nothing. You weren’t injured or suffered a loss. The fault has been reported, now get on with your life.

martinhutch

So, in summary, the crank fell off your hire bike, causing you to stop suddenly, but you were uninjured and suffered no other loss?

It’s not ideal, obviously, but what redress, exactly, are you expecting?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Things brake. It’s just how it is.
    Personally I wouldnt consider standing and cranking a hire bike, with its millions of user miles under its belt – i’d consider them a city bimbler.

I’d take an apology at face value and if you’re really that keen (you seem keen), follow it up to see if any retro-action is undertaken to help prevent a similar issue in the future – then put it down to a lesson learned.

It’s a hire agreement – and we all know how many people treat items that are hired.. It’s not unreasonable to assume that a previous hiree could’ve totally abused the bike and left in worse for wear on your turn.
    Hence, use with caution.

i don’t know how those particular bikes are put together but whenever i’ve neglected to tighten my cranks properly I can usually feel when something has worked loose prior to critical failure.

jekkyl

Thanks for reporting the bike as damaged and be thankful that perhaps you saved someone else from a worse situation.

Trimix
    Free Member

Redress for what ?

You have been watching too many of those “Who can I sue now” type adverts.

Beagleboy

It must be related to my Orange P7 with it’s Octalink BB and crank arms! I’ve used a length of pipe to increase the leverage on the bolts that hold the non-drive side crank arm on, only for it to unwind a few rides later. Thankfully, it has a habit of doing so near pubs.

I use hire bikes for my daily commute to work in central Glasgow, (Next Bikes), and the upkeep on them can be very ropey. Seized bearings, dodgy brakes and rattly headsets are common. However, I’m always aware that I’m riding a big lump of pishbike. Glad to hear your okay, and that nothing untowards happened. Give it a good shake and a bounce next time before getting on! 😛

lucky7500

You might be able to get a job writing misleading article titles for a tabloid paper. Otherwise, as already said above, not really sure what you’re after. Personally I would probably have just pressed the ‘maintenance needed’ button on the docking station, taken out a different bike and carried on with my journey / life.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What they said, with some added “get over yourself”.

Beagleboy – new crank – you tried the same thing over and over an expecting to work at some point?

Rorschach
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

I think it’s reasonable to expect your money back for the hire.

Beyond that, nah.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beagleboy – new crank – you tried the same thing over and over an expecting to work at some point?

Get yourself an alloy preload bolt, throw away the nylon one. Of course, if you’ve totally **** the crank (by over torqueing, which it sounds like you have) Then CA is correct, new crank.

OP – What a walloper you are.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pulling a wheelie whilst holding your phone texting “me Julie” and smokin a fag ?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think it’s reasonable to expect your money back for the hire.

If it’s under 30 minutes it’s free anyway.

The original poster sounds like a bit of a drama queen.

mrchrispy

reach around from one of the mechanics is about the most you can hope from I’m afraid.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Have you been suffering from any mental issues since? Difficulty sleeping, sudden bouts of moneylessness, unexplained grabbing motions of the hand when near money? These are all signs you are the sort of person to contact a lawyer about such a trivial issue.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Catapulted?

DezB
    Free Member

Before we became the 51st state we used to say “shit happens”. (Or is that too American?) “These things happen, old bean”.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t forsee a repeat of this thread title from OP –
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-forum-people-proved-excellent-once-more
    😆

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Now you’ve scared him/her off guys. Well done.

Come back OP. I’ve just put the kettle on and opened a fresh packet of custard creams!

Sandwich

Catapulted?

Not worth any extra effort unless a trebuchet was involved.

jekkyl

I am never surprised by the number of people who come on here expecting sympathy for their cycling related incident only to be comprehensively turned upon by every forum poster.

Dickyboy

Sound like another DT login to me, all in all a bit disappointed with his level of trolling today 🙁

cloudnine
    Free Member

So.. How far were you catapulted?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

can the OP post a description of the incident where he was catapulted into the street, as that sounds much more exciting than the one where he just stumbled to the side?

cuyahoga
    Free Member

If you don’t get suitable redress from Boris, (or whoever’s looking after the bikes now that he’s moved on), you should definitely get in touch with the office of the National Bicycle Hire Ombudsman

matt_outandabout

Nothing. You weren’t injured or suffered a loss. The fault has been reported, now get on with your life.

Excellent advice.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It must be related to my Orange P7 with it’s Octalink BB and crank arms!

Get yourself an alloy preload bolt, throw away the nylon one.

Octalink uses bolts to secure each arm on, not a preload cap like Hollowtech II.

benp1

That’s worth about £5k right? 😀

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Advice? Take it to the big cheese himself
    borisjohnson@housesofparliament.com
    Hth.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Catapulted into the street???

I stumble to the side

Make your mind up. Stumbling to the side isn’t the same as being catapulted.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

Excellent advice.

excellent advice regarding the excellent advice

RobHilton
    Free Member

obviously treat any replies as just friendly opinion

There’s not been much of that 😆

[video]https://youtu.be/_GsT_slbMKM[/video]

bigjim

And you’d only hacksawed through half the crank arm beforehand!

badnewz
    Free Member

Go see Jedi

timnwild

That’s me told. 😉 I’ll get my coat.

shermer75
    Free Member

😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Next thread….M&S coat cartwheeled me into the pavement -need a hug.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Boris Bike catapulted me into the street – need advice’ is closed to new replies.