Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Boring tyre thread
  • Fat-boy-fat

Thinking about heading out to the Portes du Soleil for hollybags this year and wondering about tyres. Been a few times before and been fine with nobby nics but I suspect I’ve been lucky. Any recommendations? Don’t want anything too heavy but has to be Stans compatible. Geax? Maxis? What types?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got some hardly worn(2 Alp trips) minions fronts, 2.5″, great for f & r as Minion rears are crap, apparently

If you are nearby Wigan, £20 collected for pair, both super tacky I think. If not, one is, one is normal.

Fat-boy-fat

Thanks coolhandluke. Unfortunately, I’m up in Scotland. Probably cost more to mail than the price difference from a local shop. Did you find the Minions to be really good?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Brilliant tyres, yes, ran a minion on the front for ages , HR on the back. Classic STW combo from a few years back.

For full on Alp stuff, 2.5 dual ply is where it’s at though, our holidays usually include amounts of uphill pedaling these days and the 2.5’s are just too bloomin heavy for that though.

A few of my pals also run Minion fronts on the front and back too.

This year I’m taking a 2.3 Purgatory Gris on the back and 2.3 Butcher on the front as we’re going to the Alps before the lift season starts this year so I’ve lightened the tyres a lot to save weight for the uphill stuff. Just have to be a bit more gentle going downwards that I usually am.

Fat-boy-fat

That sounds a fair shout. I think I’ll be running something like a 2.5 up front with a 2.3 on the back. Hoping for something light and dual ply with decent grip. The holy grail. Having a wee peek around Geax as I’ve been hearing some good things about them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Boring tyre thread’ is closed to new replies.