Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Boring Old Fart blathers on about something everybody under 40 takes for granted
  • cinnamon_girl

We’ve got scan-as-you-go now. You get a little hand-held scanner to zap stuff as you walk round and put it straight in your bag. Pay, leave. It’s fantastic. Who on earth wants to spend minutes of their life discussing the weather with some bored teenager on a checkout?

Why don’t you want to interact with a ‘bored teenager’ ?

ransos
    Free Member

Last time I went out to eat the restaurant was pretty noisy, full of people talking to each other.

You are imagining it you old fart.

If I was imagining it there wouldn’t be pictures of people’s dinner on Facebook.

Technology is mostly great, but I do think we’ve lost something as a society.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are no pictures of dinner on my facebook, so that’s not all it does.

And remember it takes about 60 seconds to post a picture of your dinner, and you might be in the restaurant for an hour and on the rest of your evening for another five.

Also, the posting of the dinner is a form of reaching out to your friends for more conversation. Social media generates MORE social interaction not less.

Sorry to be all arguey but as a social media user old fogeys ranting about the death of social interaction because of social media really annoys me. Nicely ironic when they do it on social media though!

ransos
    Free Member

Sorry to be all arguey but as a social media user old fogeys ranting about the death of social interaction because of social media really annoys me. Nicely ironic when they do it on social media though!

Narcissitic self-promotion is communication of sorts, but not a form I wish to participate in. Each to their own.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Last night in a restaurant the GF and I, during a very tangential converstation, realised we didn’t actually know how Cockrings worked. Within just a few minutes we were educated due to a very thorough and sincere blog on YouTube*.

*Other online video sources of information on Cockrings are avialable but perhaps best not consulted in public.

molgrips
    Free Member

Narcissitic self-promotion is communication of sorts, but not a form I wish to participate in. Each to their own.

Hardly restricted to social media though is it? Narcissists have been talking about themselves to anyone who’ll listen for millenia!

Cougar

Why don’t you want to interact with a ‘bored teenager’ ?

They have cooties.

If I was imagining it there wouldn’t be pictures of people’s dinner on Facebook.

The problem there isn’t the medium, it’s your lack of quality control in who you’ve “friended.”

cinnamon_girl

They have cooties.

All of ’em? Must be an epidemic then!

Cougar

Scientific fact.

ransos
    Free Member

Hardly restricted to social media though is it? Narcissists have been talking about themselves to anyone who’ll listen for millenia!

And now they have a much bigger audience.

he problem there isn’t the medium, it’s your lack of quality control in who you’ve “friended.”

I don’t use Facebook.

cinnamon_girl

Scientific fact.

Source please!

scotroutes

And in 15C Europe “That bluddy Gutenberg. He’s killed conversation stone dead”

molgrips
    Free Member

And now they have a much bigger audience.

But that audience has a choice. They can select ‘don’t show me any more posts like this’ in the drop-down.

I don’t use Facebook.

Surely you’re not slagging off something you don’t actually know about?

ransos
    Free Member

But that audience has a choice. They can select ‘don’t show me any more posts like this’ in the drop-down.

You can filter out pictures of people’s dinners? Wow.

Surely you’re not slagging off something you don’t actually know about?

I haven’t slagged anything off. My wife uses facebook, and gives me the highlights, presumably for the purpose of winding me up. Surely you’re not using ridiculous hyperbole to mis-describe an online conversation?

emsz
    Free Member

I luv scan and go. no ratty old missus judging my shopping basket.

err yes, that is a massive tub of greek yoghurt and a family sized galaxy, problem with that?

I’ll bet there were Roman’s telling themselves that things were better in their day!!

molgrips
    Free Member

There were, of course. Someone please dig out that quote about the youth of today by some Greek in 300BC please.

I haven’t slagged anything off.

You might not have intended to, but you have. Or at least you appear to have done.

ransos
    Free Member

You might not have intended to, but you have. Or at least you appear to have done.

No, I really haven’t. You might think otherwise if you have trouble with the meaning of simple words.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think your tone was very disparaging (and it still is). you appeared to be criticising social media, and now you appear to be insulting me..? Perhaps you’re the one who should look at how your posts come across?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoRiaikec4[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

I think your tone was very disparaging (and it still is). you appeared to be criticising social media, and now you appear to be insulting me..? Perhaps you’re the one who should look at how your posts come across?

I criticised a specific aspect of social media that I dislike. If you think that constitutes “slagging off” then I suggest you are reducing a nuanced discussion to a binary state for no apparent purpose.

BTW, your opening post to me contained an insult. Perhaps you should treat people how you wish to be treated?

Cougar

I don’t use Facebook.

So how are you in any way qualified to pass judgement?

Nevertheless, I shall reword my original viewpoint. To wit:

The problem there isn’t the medium, it’s your wife’s lack of quality control in who you’ve she’s “friended.”

Lifer
    Free Member

Guy I play(ed) GTAV online with on PS3 got a PS4 the other week.

I got a whatsapp from him, and instead of the gloating I was expecting it was a link.

I clicked the link and it took me to a site where I could watch him playing, in (almost) real time. So I was watching him playing GTAV on his PS4 on my phone! Brilliant.

molgrips
    Free Member

I criticised a specific aspect of social media that I dislike. If you think that constitutes “slagging off” then I suggest you are reducing a nuanced discussion to a binary state for no apparent purpose.

I suggest in return that the context and manner of your post was rather insulting to those of us who do use social media. You know what you meant when you wrote that, I did not – I only had the words to go on. To those who did not know your original intention the words came across as insulting.

I further suggest that you you should bear in mind that your words might not be being interpreted how you wish and modify them, rather than blaming the audience…! I am generally a nice bloke, I don’t throw insults around for no reason.

Btw is this argument better or worse than a picture of someone’s dinner? 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Binners & Ransos have some toast – everyone loves toast

ransos
    Free Member

I suggest in return that the context and manner of your post was rather insulting to those of us who do use social media. You know what you meant when you wrote that, I did not – I only had the words to go on. To those who did not know your original intention the words came across as insulting.

The words you had to go on were a description of a specific aspect of social media I dislike. If you find that insulting then you must spend a lot of your time feeling insulted.

I further suggest that you you should bear in mind that your words might not be being interpreted how you wish and modify them, rather than blaming the audience…! I am generally a nice bloke, I don’t throw insults around for no reason.

If you’re going to attribute an opinion to me that I do not hold, from words I haven’t written, then there is very little I can do about that. Again I suggest to you that if you wish to complain about being insulted, then don’t insult people – it makes you look like a hypocrite, which I’m sure you’re not.

So how are you in any way qualified to pass judgement?

Nevertheless, I shall reword my original viewpoint. To wit:

I’m qualified because I’ve seen enough Facebook content to form an opinion. I take it that you’re only friends with people you approve of and agree with in every respect?

molgrips
    Free Member

The words you had to go on were a description of a specific aspect of social media I dislike

You didn’t make that clear.

If you’re going to attribute an opinion to me that I do not hold, from words I haven’t written

I based my opinion on the words you DID write, of course, because I had nothing else on which to go. I think it’s the words you didn’t write that would have helped the situation.

ransos
    Free Member

You didn’t make that clear.

Yes I did. If you chose to misinterpret it as having a wider meaning, that’s not my fault.

I based my opinion on the words you DID write, of course, because I had nothing else on which to go. I think it’s the words you didn’t write that would have helped the situation.

No, you’re basing your opinion on a misinterpretation.

As I said earlier, it’s a pity that you’re reducing the discussion to a binary state. I’m on record upthread as liking technology, so it does appear that you’re creating an argument for no purpose.

hels
    Free Member

(Get a room you two).

Some technology is great – but I do think there are significant risks to privacy, and people aren’t generally aware of these risks.

For example, everyone laughed at me for covering up my webcam:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/russian-hacked-webcam-website-creator-refuses-apologise-site-shut-down-1476472

And do you really, really want Google, Facebook, any number of apps written by a couple of students at Aston University, knowing where you are all the time ?

I have a phone for email, internet, but never have location data on, and for navigation rely on a combination of boring old planning and preparation, and maps. Won’t let me down when the network crashes.

I liked the old days, when you used to be able to phone people in pubs. We always used to ask for Elvis Reefer, then the group would nominate somebody to take the call. Worked fine.

brassneck

I can remember buying tickets for Glastonbury, with cash from a record store. It sold vinyl and the odd tape.

They never sold out, and just tore them out of a book they had to sell.

They did have a hologram on them after a while, so they were like really secure and stuff.

Pretty much that entire experience is now obsolete..
    Not convinced the current setup is an improvement!

I like people who post pictures of their meals on Facebook in the same way as I like people who repost Britain First crap.

It helps me with my insecurity problems by giving a fleeting (and illusory) sense of superiority.

Cougar

I take it that you’re only friends with people you approve of and agree with in every respect?

You’re friends with people you disapprove of and don’t agree with? How odd.

Seriously, I’m not trying to be argumentative, but your criticism is baseless. You’re founding your opinion on second-hand information which, by your own admission, is given to you to intentionally wind you up. For a start off that’s hardly going to give you a representative view of the website now, is it.

Next, you don’t use Facebook, so you can’t appreciate the tools that are available. You expressed surprise that you can filter out posts you don’t want to see; the answer to “You can filter out pictures of people’s dinners? Wow” is, in fact, “yes you can.” I, for example, no longer get a stream full of “$footballTeam are tossers” every Saturday.

And finally, as I suggested right back at the start, you choose who to “friend” or “follow”, you can exercise some quality control. If people are posting racist propaganda, pictures of their lunch, or reports that they’ve just gone for a big shit, you can un-friend them or mute their output. If your friends are arseholes, you don’t need to ragequit the Internet, you need better friends. People are the problem here, not the medium.

I’m no particular fan of Facebook myself (I much prefer Twitter), but sitting there making blasé inaccurate comments about something that plenty of people do like when you’ve actually no idea what you’re talking about is going to get folk’s backs up I’m afraid. Sorry.

luna985
    Free Member

I have a remote sender from my Sky+ box to my telly upstairs and control the whole thing from my phone.

Whats next, blinking to change channels…..?

boltonjon

So I was watching him playing GTAV on his PS4 on my phone! Brilliant

Why is this brilliant? Watching someone else playing a computer game?? Watch a movie – it’ll be better

Facebook – I get it – it has a place in society and people have the choice about its impact of their life

However – I am SO GLAD it was not around 15 years ago whilst I was at Uni and my behaviour was at its most despicable

Imagine waking up and finding some ‘friend’ had posted the video of you doing something illegal/wrong/dangerous/childish/revolting – which can be seen by all of your ‘friends’ as well as many others

I can recall several instances of things done in front of big groups which would make my cringe if viewed on youtube the next day….

jambourgie
    Free Member

I tend to avoid those self-service machines in the supermarket. I actually do prefer to use a normal person. Plus, won’t they get sacked if there’s no use for them? Don’t get me wrong, they’re handy when it’s busy, but the only thing I like about them is the ability to offload your entire 1 & 2p coin collection in one go 😀

ransos
    Free Member

You’re friends with people you disapprove of and don’t agree with? How odd.

You’re only friends with people you approve of and agree with in every single respect? How odd.

Seriously, I’m not trying to be argumentative, but your criticism is baseless. You’re founding your opinion on second-hand information which, by your own admission, is given to you to intentionally wind you up. For a start off that’s hardly going to give you a representative view of the website now, is it.

So people don’t post pictures of their dinner? Perhaps I imagined it.

Next, you don’t use Facebook, so you can’t appreciate the tools that are available. You expressed surprise that you can filter out posts you don’t want to see; the answer to “You can filter out pictures of people’s dinners? Wow” is, in fact, “yes you can.” I, for example, no longer get a stream full of “$footballTeam are tossers” every Saturday.

So Facebook can identify that a picture is of someone’s dinner, and prevent you from seeing it?

And finally, as I suggested right back at the start, you choose who to “friend” or “follow”, you can exercise some quality control. If people are posting racist propaganda, pictures of their lunch, or reports that they’ve just gone for a big shit, you can un-friend them or mute their output. If your friends are arseholes, you don’t need to ragequit the Internet, you need better friends. People are the problem here, not the medium

I don’t think posting a picutre of one’s dinner makes one an arsehole per se. What was that I was saying about reducing this discussion to a binary state?

I’m no particular fan of Facebook myself (I much prefer Twitter), but sitting there making blasé inaccurate comments about something that plenty of people do like when you’ve actually no idea what you’re talking about is going to get folk’s backs up I’m afraid. Sorry.

The evidence is with me – I seen posts made by people, doing exactly what I described. You and Molgrips seem intent on refuting some wider point I haven’t made. If you’ve decided to get all huffy about that, then as I said earlier, you must spend a lot of time feeling offended.

verses

I have seen pictures of peoples dinner on Facebook. Despite having made no steps to prevent them, it’s probably less that 1% of the posts I’ve seen on there.

I find that a sufficient level for it not to prevent my enjoyment of its other benefits.

ransos
    Free Member

I find that a sufficient level for it not to prevent my enjoyment of its other benefits.

So you’re saying that you use it because you like most aspects of it?

I think that’s what I was saying earlier wan’t it? Technology is mostly a force for good, but there are some negative aspects to it. For me, people sitting across from each other at dinner, furiously tapping on their phones is a depressing thing to see, and of the Facebook content I’ve seen, enough of it is stuff I couldn’t care less about that I choose to not use it. But Facebook is only one aspect of modern communications…

verses

For me; I don’t live where I grew up, or where I went to uni, and I have friends and relatives in other countries. Without Facebook I would receive, at most, a 3 line update on their lives in an xmas card.
    Even with the friends I have locally, I might go for weeks without seeing them.

Being able to have a steady stream of the significant and inane events in their lives (probably mostly the latter) is invaluable.

For the former group, seeing which ones have turned into rabid eejits over the years also benefits me in that I know not to bother seeking out their company when I’m next around them 😀

Cougar

So people don’t post pictures of their dinner? Perhaps I imagined it.

…is not what I said. Here it is again, with the important bit bolded.

You’re founding your opinion on second-hand information which, by your own admission, is given to you to intentionally wind you up. For a start off that’s hardly going to give you a representative view of the website now, is it.

People post whatever they want, some of which may or may not be interesting, and therefore some of which may of course be their culinary creations. But if your wife is cherry-picking stuff to show you which she knows irritates you, you’re never seeing the other 99% of the site that doesn’t fall into that category. To wit, your experience of Facebook is not representative of the site as a whole.

So Facebook can identify that a picture is of someone’s dinner, and prevent you from seeing it?

There’s a ‘don’t show me this’ option which I thought did exactly that, yes. However in hindsight I may be mistaken as to how it works. I’m not a big FB user. Nonetheless, you can definitely hide stuff and tailor your feed.

I don’t think posting a picutre of one’s dinner makes one an arsehole per se. What was that I was saying about reducing this discussion to a binary state?

I didn’t say it did. See that word “if” back there, after a bunch of other sentences?

You and Molgrips seem intent on refuting some wider point I haven’t made.

All I’m refuting is that Facebook is how you think it is based on what you’ve said. Those wider points are just that, wider points; ie, it’s not all about you. I’m presenting my point of view and taking part in a discussion, not trying to have an argument with you. I can only apologise if that wasn’t clear.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Boring Old Fart blathers on about something everybody under 40 takes for granted’ is closed to new replies.