Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Boring Old Fart blathers on about something everybody under 40 takes for granted
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just had a FB conversation with a couple of mates about a holiday next year at their Spanish Accommodation.

The place is in Andalucia, they are in Cyprus right now and I’m in London. ‘internet enabled instant arrangements.

Ain’t technology fantastic?

I remember the days when etc etc etc….

40mpg

Bloody right! I’ve recently got a new phone (Moto G 4G after reading reviews on here) and a sound bar for me telly.

The 2 connect by bluetooth! So I can play spotify through the soundbar, no cables or anything! Its ace!

sandwicheater

If my google fooo was strong I’d have a Simpsons video playing below;

‘Look, an old man’s talking. Let’s gather round and see what he has to say’

binners

I live in Ramsbottom, but tonight I’m going to a pub in Bury. Amazing!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m sat at home working, 160 miles from my office.

I’m talking to a bunch of complete strangers on one screen, who are spread across the entire globe; and connected to my office PC where I’m doing (some) work on the other screen.

sandwicheater

JonEdwards, you are a witch. Time you died a good Christian death!!

fasthaggis

dknwhy

I was amazed when my phone works out the route to meetings in my calendar and then reminds me when I need to leave the office, showing me the route I need to take.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’m under 40 but to be honest, a lot of this technology does my head in. I’m constantly trying to ‘opt out’ and disconnect. I’m pretty sure I’m on my own here, and I guess it makes me ‘a boring old fart’ I liked it best about ten years ago, before arsebook, twatter and smartphones. Phones were just phones, and the internet just worked without trying to connect your bank account to your fridge.

And Facebook really weirds me out, it’s funny how people used to worry about a Orwellian power watching over everyone and knowing everything; but the way it’s turned out you couldn’t make it up… everyone posting up everything about themselves willingly, and for what, I’m not sure? Vanity maybe. Plus, I think knowing everything about everyone takes a lot of the mystery and fun out of life…

Hope that helps,

Anne Oldman

MrSalmon
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago I was trying to remember how I used to go about booking hotels etc. before the internet. How did it ever get done?

I do remember scouring the back pages of Time Out for cheap RTW tickets from bucket shops though!

DrP

The 2 connect by bluetooth! So I can play spotify through the soundbar, no cables or anything! Its ace!

I can trump that…I’ve a similar setup, but I can control it all with my ruddy watch!!

DrP

doris5000

the other day i wanted to show my folks some pictures off my camera.

so i took my phone charger cable (USB) and used it to plug my camera into the telly.

it was a charger cable for a phone! that could also connect a telly and a camera! that’s how technology was supposed to work! (i was also able to browse the phone with the remote control) 😮

i also have a drawer full of early 2000’s proprietary phone chargers and camera cables, natch 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

And Facebook really weirds me out, it’s funny how people used to worry about a Orwellian power watching over everyone and knowing everything

To be fair, Big Brother (from the book, not the TV show) is nothing like facebook. We choose what we post on FB and we can turn it off if we choose. Plus, FB simply show me different adverts based on what I share with them, rather than sent round the secret police to torture me. Just a subtle difference I know but I thought it worth pointing out 🙂

Bregante

I live in Ramsbottom, but tonight I’m going to a pub in Bury. Amazing!!

Make sure to take the tin cans on the extra long string so you can call home when you want a lift back.

jambourgie
    Free Member

FB simply show me different adverts based on what I share with them, rather than sent round the secret police to torture me. Just a subtle difference I know but I thought it worth pointing out

😀

You’re right of course. I was just having a whinge. Still think it sucks the mystery out of social life though. Especially when I go to a club to blow the cobwebs away, and it’s full of weapons standing in rows pointing their smartphones at the DJ.

beej

Plus, FB simply show me different adverts based on what I share with them, rather than sent round the secret police to torture me

Have you read the small print in their latest terms and conditions?

molgrips
    Free Member

Er no.. perhaps I will later – there’s someone at the door. Back in a minute..

cinnamon_girl

jambourgie + 1 (to your original post).

Cougar

Went out in London, meeting my OH for dinner.

Being a Northerner, the Tube is a mystery to me. No bother, run the Tube Map app and it tells me which trains to take, where to change and when the next one is due.

Get out, need to find the OH. Fire up Google Maps, I have a route to where she is. En route I needed a large Boots to pick up something. There’s a couple nearby, I don’t know which will carry what I need so with Google Street view I can look at the store fronts and work out which one is a big store rather than a corner shop.

Meet up with the OH, need to find a decent restaurant. Google again, find a few likely suspects. No idea if they’re any good, so on to the Trip Advisor app. Find that the nearest has really bad reviews, but the next one looks good. Hit a button in-app and it auto-dials them so I can see if I need a reservation.

On the way, my phone works out where I’m going, and I get a discount voucher for 10% off the meal.

I love living in the future.

oldnick

jambourgie is my younger brother* and I claim my £10.

FB has been told it should have alerted the secret police re the Lee Rigby killers which does add a twist to the Big Brother comparisons.

*that I didn’t know I had.

takisawa2

That communicator thing on the pc gets me.
    One click, I’m sharing my CAD screen with a colleague on the other side of the world.

My smartphone also.
    Google maps never ceases to amaze me.
    The traffic layer…it’s ace.

Finally, as a Scout leader, recently started using Online Scout Manager.
    Wow. Takes away so much admin work.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The place is in Andalucia, they are in Cyprus right now and I’m in London.

and next you will hear them blather on about their phone bills for weeks…

anyway bikes that are light and don’t snap – amazballs

In the last month I have flown several thousand miles, worked remotely with people on 3 continents, transferred files that it would have been faster posting CD’s a few years back and much more. I still remember making sure I had 10p to call home though.

Ironically some mad woman came round with a petition a year ago to get a phone box installed in the area as she thought it was bad there wasn’t one and how would the kids be able to make calls….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My insulin pump really has changed my life

Technology is ace

’nuff said

dux
    Free Member

I’ve just watched a film in the bath on the Ipad and the sound comes from the bluetooth speaker… all wireless!

It is unbelievable how far we’ve come in the last 20 years or so. 7 years ago i was a complete technophobe but decided to embrace the new fandangled stuff.

emsz
    Free Member

I hardly ever use FB, it’s mostly made up shit to let my mum know I’m not in prison or hospital.

I luv the way tech will let me navigate round a city I don’t know, find a restaurant, or a gig, a hotel if I need it.

😳 yeah, uummmm what Coug said 😳

boltonjon

I’m not 40 yet but remaining a pretty thorough technophobe

Feeling very hard done by because my laptap needs replacing – the computer itself is fine by the pivot (between the screen and keyboard) is broken and will probably break the on/off switch soon

To be fair, i bought it in 2008

However, maybe i could just take it apart and fix it. Imagine that hey!

I’ve got a ‘smart phone’. Its a 4 year old Blackberry – it send emails

I also have a Ipod. Probably 7 years old – nothing new added in 4 years. Full of more great music than i’ll ever listen to

I love mountain bikes – they make me happy and keep me fit. They all have 26″ wheels and 10 gears

Technology – great but i’ll let other people pay & prototype it 🙂
    Thats modern 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

If your blown away booking a holiday watch this equally old fart explain how things are going to change when Internet of things makes facebook look like race fax machine.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My favourite bit of tech is google maps traffic data. It just works. Got me out of the shite on more that occasion.

zippykona

Face time amazes me. My grandad was right out can see people on a telephone.
    I still don’t want my bike to have more than one pivot though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Technology is great. I’ve just bought a bike that only has one gear. How long have we been waiting for the tyranny of 20 or 24 speed bikes to be overthrown.

chip
    Free Member

Don’t do Facebook or Twitter, this forum and a little bikerader are the only social media I partake in.
    But I hate being with out my phone, not for gassing but think when I don’t have it I might breakdown or find my self in a situation where I will need to call an emergency service.

It’s completely irrational but since the mobile phone phone boxes are dying out.

charliemort

A couple of weeks ago I was trying to remember how I used to go about booking hotels etc. before the internet. How did it ever get done?

I’m with you there. How did I get 30 odd people to my stag do from Laarnden to Shrewsbury about 20 years ago without having to send about 8 million emails? We all met in a pub, shared cars, and arrived on time – shamazing…….

molgrips
    Free Member

That happened if you were lucky.

Usually, with me, you’d arrange to meet someone somewhere and they wouldn’t be there. So you wait around, give it half an hour, find a phone box, ring their home – not in, so you wait, then you go home.

Me and my sister would go to Hereford with my parents and go off on our own having arranged to meet them at M&S at 1pm. Come back at 1pm, no-one there. Wait for ages, then decided to go back to the car and wait for their eventual return. Turns out they were IN M&S rather than outside it, they start looking for us all over town.. etc etc.. it was bollocks, frankly. Phones are a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

molgrips
    Free Member

However, maybe i could just take it apart and fix it. Imagine that hey!

Just fixed my 2009 laptop last night 🙂

Technology’s great until it starts impacting on our ability to communicate with others on a human level.

It won’t. All this FB and texting new fangled nonsense – that IS communicating with others. My FB friends are actually real people, who are actually my friends – and thanks to FB they are in my life daily rather than at the other end of the country/world. My life is definitely richer.

Cougar

No need for any of that tech. You could simply have asked passers-by/locals. There’s enough people in London!

And they’re all known for their patience and kindness to strangers. I’m a Northerner, in London; the last time I tried asking a local for directions I got told to eff off back where I came from.

Technology’s great until it starts impacting on our ability to communicate with others on a human level. Those self-serve checkouts at supermarkets are a perfect example; destroying the opportunity for human interaction. De-humanising, de-personalising everything. Supermarkets are soulless enough without removing what little humanity remains.

We’ve got scan-as-you-go now. You get a little hand-held scanner to zap stuff as you walk round and put it straight in your bag. Pay, leave. It’s fantastic. Who on earth wants to spend minutes of their life discussing the weather with some bored teenager on a checkout?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Thank God for Technology.

Erm…

ransos
    Free Member

Usually, with me, you’d arrange to meet someone somewhere and they wouldn’t be there. So you wait around, give it half an hour, find a phone box, ring their home – not in, so you wait, then you go home.

That used to happen sometimes, but mostly it didn’t. People also used to talk to each other rather than posting pictures of their dinner.

Cougar

It’ll never catch on.

molgrips
    Free Member

People also used to talk to each other rather than posting pictures of their dinner.

Last time I went out to eat the restaurant was pretty noisy, full of people talking to each other.

You are imagining it you old fart.

hooli

I like the idea of technology doing more to make our lives easier, rather than entertainment as a lot of the cool stuff is at the moment.

Remote vacuum cleaners to clean up when we are out
    Wifi fridge and rfid’s so the occado man knows when I need stuff without me placing an order.
    Smarter phones that learn behaviour so it knows I commute on the M1 on a Monday morning and gives me a traffic update without me checking for it. My heating system and lights coming on when I get near home, my car de-icing and warming up so it is ready for me in the morning.
    Cardless and cashless payments in shops

Some of this stuff is out there already, just not widely used and needs improving. Improving battery technology would go a long way too.

For those commenting on facebook, twitter and big brother. I don’t buy this arguement, you choose to sign up and you choose what to share. I will get worried when newborns are given a facebook account by default and it auto updates every 5 minutes without your input 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Boring Old Fart blathers on about something everybody under 40 takes for granted’ is closed to new replies.