Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Boring home network router question
  • kayak23

Living in a house with broadband provided by a NetGear router through a mates Orange account. For some reason, my Android phone just does not like the router and will not allow me to access the internet very well through wifi.

As far as I can tell it appears to be mostly the sites I’m logged into it struggles to load such as my hotmail or Facebook and sometimes here, but mostly hotmail..
    It works fine on other/public wifi.

Anyway, having got bored of this i just bought another router off ebay to see if it would work ok on another one not provided by Orange.

It won’t recognize the internet connection. I take the broadband line out of the old NetGear router and put it in the new d-link one and it just fails to recognize the connection. I know the router works fine in theory but not here.

Could I be locked into the particular router Orange provide or something? Any ideas on how to sort it?
    Thanks. 🙂

dawson

you will need the Orange ADSL username and password to enter it into the connection settings in your new router, it needs these to authenticate – have you enetred these settings?

You will need to set up the wifi key too.

z1ppy

As per Dawson,

Looking at the Orange site the info they supply seems very sparse, but this has a couple of setting to check.
    http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/461589

Another daft option to investigate, is what type of ADSL do you have “std” or “2”. Friends were upgraded to “2” by there supplier, but never given a new router, there internet connection was rubbish using the std modem or a std router (…so is the router you just bought any good for it).

and finally the obvious the basic question is… does the router you bought actually work? (maybe try upgrading it’s firmware)

kayak23

Thanks for the helpful hints folks. I’ll look into your suggestions. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Boring home network router question’ is closed to new replies.