Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Boring holes in the bottom of bottles.
  • sharki
    Free Member

How?

Basically the plan is to daisy chain many bottles together to form a continuous flow when i pumped water through them.

I’d rather like to insert the top of one, into the bottom of the next and seal with a rubber grommet of sorts.

It’s for a solar water heated shower.

I’ve heard abrasive paste can be used with a piece of notched brass tube. Or i could make a furnace and bring each bottle to a temp in which i could force a hole through it.

Cheers!

nickjb
    Free Member

A little diamond core drill?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0015NULJQ

v8ninety

Diamond tile hole cutter? must be a similar issue to having to put pipe holes in porceline tiles? And dont do yourself down, it’s not that boring a question… 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I am guessing they are glass bottles then?

You will need a lot of heat to melt the glass from what I have seen the university glass blower use.

I’d definitely go the diamond hole cutter route. Unless you know someone with a water jet cutter which works well.

sharki
    Free Member

I was considering a diamond cutter with generous amounts of water.

Cheers, was wondering about other options, but seems, there isn’t many.

Yes, they’re glass bottles.

andyl
    Free Member

maybe use coke cans instead? Plenty of designs online for can designs with a sheet of glass on top.

khani
    Free Member

A glass cutter all the way round about an inch from the bottom, and then tap the bottom…

grum
    Free Member

Can you not make them interesting holes?

IGMC. 😳

konabunny
    Free Member

Don’t forget to vent the pressure in the bottles so that when the water gets heated in the hot Chilean sun the bottle doesn’t fail and explode like a frigging ied.

sharki
    Free Member

I’ve hundreds of glass bottles and don’t fancy getting diabetes just to get a load of cans together.
    Grum 🙄

Khani. I only need a hole a little bigger than the top of a bottle.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve hundreds of glass bottles and don’t fancy getting diabetes just to get a load of cans together.
    Grum

Eh? I was making a (really) crap pun on the use of the word ‘boring’. Now I’m confused. 😕

Drac

Show them the overtaking thread, that could bore holes through diamonds.

sharki
    Free Member

Konabunny. It would only be sealed at the refill end, the other end would have a pressure release valve near the shower head. Or should i put in a few at intervals along the system?

sharki
    Free Member

Grum. I should of put a space between your name and the previous statement. I was mearly rolling my eyes at your pun;)

ski
    Free Member

Sharki – curious, do you have any pictures of what it would look like once finished?

sharki
    Free Member

Nope, it’s a design i’ve heard about. The version i heard about suggested interlinking the bottles with pieces of hose and the only way i can think of it working properly, would be to go in one end and out the other.

This is not me.

jonba
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

what about if you used copper pipes to do a straw in the bottle type set up?

ie the pipe goes to the bottom of the bottle which flows water in and a larger pipe that terminates at the top takes water out. Just need some kind of bung (eg cork) with two holes in for the pipes. You can make the pipes U shapes to link all the bottles togther.

andyl
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You would be better off with brown bottles rather green ones, if you’re thinking of copying the geezer in your picture. Also I suspect that brown glass is more likely to inhibit the growth of algae, a potentially very serious problem imho.

Diane
    Free Member

I saw a very crude one in Spain but using big plastic 2 litre bottles – just one long line on a roof but I guess it might be warmer (Quicker to heat up) in Spain 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

Sharki, I don’t know the right way to do it, only th wrong way that almost shredded my uncle!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Boring holes in the bottom of bottles.’ is closed to new replies.