Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Boring driving licence question.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

So I’ve not driven for a while, and have agreed to help a friend move house next weekend. This will require me hiring a van. However, I’ve just realised that I’ve forgotten to get my address updated on my driving license after I moved house 15 months ago. What to do? I’m assuming the hire place are gonna be funny about this, and on the other hand, is there time to get it changed?

br
    Free Member

Let him hire the van, and add you to the hire – then your address is irrelevant.

maccruiskeen

Talk to the hire co, you won’t be the only customer this week in the same position. Typically they want to prove your identity (so they know who to chase if the car never comes back) and confirm you’re licensed to drive for the purpose of insurance which is a different concern. So you’ll need things like recent utility bills and a credit card to confirm your address. Your licence is only about driving entitlement, so as long as you have sufficient address id they probably won’t be bothered that the licence address doesn’t tally.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Ah, I see. Makes sense when you put it like that. Thanks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep, I moved a lot and had my license still at my parents for years. Worked fine for me.

bruk

Had this. They would not rent the van to me. Even with lots of other proof of Id and address they refused. In the end I hired a man with a van and was about £10 more given I only needed the van for 1 large load.

Ring them 1st.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Boring driving licence question.’ is closed to new replies.