Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Boring car question… £2k to spend… etc etc etc.
  • mboy
    Free Member

I’d like to start that my name is not Hora, but that I am looking for a new car. I’m seeking inspiration more than anything, I’ve gone through a few options that I know and like, and either good ones are hard to find, or too expensive in general.

Requirements… Preferably an estate. No saloons for certain. Preferably a diesel as even though I don’t do big milages week in week out, when I go somewhere it’s usually a big trip, I also prefer how diesels drive in comparison to smaller engined petrols.

Cars I know I like…

B5 VW Passat Estate. Love these, but good ones are hard to find now, and/or well over £2k still sadly!
    E46 BMW 320D Estate. Similar situation to the Passat, some ropey ones out there under £2k, really good ones still fetch as much money as good E90’s do!

To be honest, other than that, I know I’m being a bit picky but not really enthusiastic about any of the alternatives. I know there’s a lot of Mondeo’s out there that creep under £2k in alright condition with a diesel and 6spd box, and there’s lots of C-Max’s too. I would much prefer German though if I’m honest, not just for the percieved reliability (I know they’re often not all they can be cracked up to be), but more for the dynamics and the comfort. Having owned both 3 series and Passat’s in the past, I know just how comfortable they are, and I like the low slung driving position. A mate owns a C-Max, and whilst it’s a perfectly decent place to be, it just doesn’t feel that great or like I’d want to get in it and go on a long journey (and I plan on doing some MTBing trips soon hopefully).

Is there anything I’m missing? Or do I really just need to accept it’s time for another blue oval in my life?

parkesie
    Free Member

French alternatives all cheap as you like and surprisingly dependable. Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi citroen c5 2.0. Maybe go italian alfa 156 sw.

vondally
    Free Member

VW see Seat and Skoda especially octivia or altera

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Seat Altea? The XL is pretty big & might creep under your budget now?

federalski
    Free Member

I’ve just taken a punt on a diesel Alfa 156 Sportswagon for a bit less than two grand, they seem to go cheap based on the Alfa’s poor reputation but hopefully I’ll get my moneys worth out of it before it keels over…

bikebouy
    Free Member

A Van, a Renault Kangoo Van.

apj
    Free Member

I had a Seat and, though it was great fun, had lots of small “niggly” faults (door locks, window winders, various electrical faults) that felt like bad build / cheapo components compared to other VAG “brands”.

beefheart
    Free Member

Jag x-type estate- can be had for £2k and nicer than a mondeo.

mboy
    Free Member

French alternatives all cheap as you like and surprisingly dependable. Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi citroen c5 2.0. Maybe go italian alfa 156 sw.

407 SW looks a possible, but have heard issues with diesel fuel pipes.

Citroen c5… No thanks! Just looks horrific if nothing else.

Alfa 156 Sportwagon is a car I’ve always wanted to own. Have heard enough to put most people off though, but the diesel engines are at least supposed to be strong. Been having a look for one tonight, doesn’t seem to be any left! I accept that even the youngest one will be 10 years old now, but they are VERY thin on the ground…

VW see Seat and Skoda especially octivia or altera

Skoda Octavia is based on the Golf. The Mk1 is very boxy, and for some reason, they fetch stupidly high 2nd hand prices (way more than Golfs and Passats even like for like!). The Mk2 is too new really to dip into my budget.

I like the Mk1 Seat Leon’s, but of course again, it’s only a Golf in drag, hence isn’t really as big as I’d like. The Altea just about gets close to my budget for early 55 plate models, but I don’t really like the high up, mini MPV style driving position. I’d rather a low/long traditional estate.

A Van, a Renault Kangoo Van.

Too obvious, and too “special” looking. If I was getting a van, I’d get a more obvious van to be fair. I want a car really as they are that much more refined, and not only that, cheaper too!

Have found an E46 320D SE Estate not too far from me, private seller. Couple of minor dings in the body work, but otherwise looks pretty good. Seller wants £2k for it, but I suspect would be haggled down on the minor body issues, so I’m probably going to go and take a look at it ASAP.

iolo
    Free Member

Go real bangernomics and get a Peugeot 405 Estate. You’ll £1700 change to but a bike.
    The are tanks that keep on going.
    I loved mine.

mboy
    Free Member

Go real bangernomics and get a Peugeot 405 Estate. You’ll £1700 change to but a bike.
    The are tanks that keep on going.
    I loved mine.

Been doing the bangernomics thing with a Renault Megane for almost 2 years. It’s only just started to cost me any money to be fair to it, but it has got me thinking that now would be a good time to upgrade to something worthwhile spending any money on.

Besides, there’s no 405’s (or even 406’s) left anyway! In fact, a lot of old cars that I would have suggested as answers to my own question even 5 years ago are pretty much extinct these days.

hora
    Free Member

If your going low-budget go with non-turbo and minimal electronics?

Saying that why not a 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T estate? 😀

geoffj

E46 BMW 320D Estate.

I think you have the answer here. Although if you aren’t doing big miles then I’d go with a petrol and an auto to reduce the potential issues with DMFs and turbos.

hora
    Free Member

Bro in law had a E46 2002 320D. The turbo went- looking into it more it seems there was an issue with the 320D from that era and turbos.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If you do come around to Mondeos, mine will likely be for sale some time soon and well within your budget.
    I’ll just be looking for a bit more than what I’d get to trade it in. (Don’t know how much that is yet).

54 plate TDCI 130ps, zetec estate. Had it since 40k, now on 158k
    New (genuine) turbo at 90k. Regular oil changes throughout (mostly documented)
    Two sets of alloy wheels, one set with Winter tyres.
    Preston area. email in profile.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

£2k for a diesel estate? You are entering a minefield there.
    That is just the point where big expensive parts start to fail.
    Don’t worry about specific models, buy on condition and service history.
    Buy privately and suss out the owner. Look for a big pile of old mot’s and service documents. Read them. Has it already had the turbo replaced? The dual mass flywheel? The diesel particulate filter? If so, all good- it’ll save you doing it.
    Good luck!

zoo200
    Free Member

I have a Peugeot 405 diesel estate in blue which has just passed an MOT with no advisories best car ever! I was given it 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If spending 2k, I’d also be looking at petrol, unless you’re very good at inspecting cars, lucky, or know someone who can fix them cheap.

edhornby

I had a Citroen with the same PSA engine as the pug405, those engines are bombproof, all you need to do is keep an eye on the fuel filter and make sure it has oil in it, it will not be the point of failure on the car 🙂 although I would use the 2K to get something a bit more modern, most cars of that era are rusting and on big miles

I wouldn’t go for BMW personally, could get stiffed for some very large repair bills, and I would avoid stuff with lots of electrics and toys (so not the Jag X type which is just a mondeo)

also TBH I would dismiss the ‘got to look pretty’ requirement, on a budget this is a limiting factor, potentially a distraction from the more important mechanicals

don’t dismiss the focus, I had one and it has a suprising amount of space in the boot with the seats down

mboy
    Free Member

Been looking further (ie. not just on Autotrader). Seems that if you trawl eBay and Gumtree etc, people aren’t quite so unrealistic about used car prices!

Anyway… Looks like there’s a few B5.5 Passats out there with a 1.9TDi, 100-140k miles on the clock, good history etc. for around the £2k mark.

I know you’d get more car if you bought a Mondeo or Focus etc. but… Like I said, I like German cars. I’ve owned a couple of older Passats before, know most of the potential pitfalls (and importantly what to look for) and I know the VW forums are generally exceptionally helpful.

Going to try and look at a couple over the next few days, and hopefully have one sorted next week I think.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having driven german cars a bit and been really happy with the Octavia etc. I’d be putting the mondeo back on the list. That age/price is more to do with condition and history than the factory it came from.

hora
    Free Member

Stick with what you know 🙂

welshfarmer

Whereabouts in the country are you mboy? Anywhere near SE Wales?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There is a reason why the Passat’s of that era hold their value, if you get a good one and look after it, they go on forever.

That said, good ones do exist for your budget. You just have to look a bit harder. We went to see 4 or 5 in total, slightly higher budget to you, so we were looking at cars up to around £2.5k, if it was decent, waving a wad of cash around in front of people.

We ended up getting a 53 reg Passat Highline, 130Tdi, 98k, usual full history, every MOT, water pump/cam belt just done etc for £2.1k We did get lucky by all accounts, but they do exist. It was meant to be a bike car, and occasional tip use, plus for me to drive to work, but it’s probably a bit too nice to trash!

Keep looking, if you’re not in a rush. Either that or an A4 of similar age. it’s a shame the autoboxes of that age are a bit flaky in VAG cars, as I would have preferred an auto, but it wasn’t a deal breaker.

mboy
    Free Member

We ended up getting a 53 reg Passat Highline, 130Tdi, 98k, usual full history, every MOT, water pump/cam belt just done etc for £2.1k We did get lucky by all accounts, but they do exist. It was meant to be a bike car, and occasional tip use, plus for me to drive to work, but it’s probably a bit too nice to trash!

Had perhaps been looking at minters myself, on garage forecourts, hence the prices a tad high. Being realistic myself, this is a bike car too (though it needs to be slightly nicer than my current one), so doesn’t need to be totally mint, just needs to be well looked after and mechanically sound.

Off to look at one in a bit, 51 plate 130tdi Sport (6spd box) with 135k on the clock. Minor ding in one of the doors (perhaps £100 to sort out) but otherwise hasn’t wanted for anything looking at what’s been spent on it over the last few years. Cambelt and pump done within 30k too so that’s got another 30k to go, 12 months MOT, and most importantly, it’s in that lovely metallic dark blue! Oh and not sure but I reckon I can secure it for quite a bit less than budget, which would be nice.

hardupdad

This is fun and cost £2k also costs £140 to insure fully combo for me and the wife. It’s not my everyday drive but could be.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Is the diesel an absolute must!?

As already stated a £2k diesel will have done a lot of miles and may be ready for some expensive bills. Turbo’s don’t last forever etc.

You will get a lot more car for your money with a petrol. Far less to go wrong on a NA petrol engine too.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

How did you go on the B5.5? DON’T get a Highline – it has the 5sp box and it’s not as strong or as good as the 6sp, especially if you plan on remapping it (which you should 😉 )

I picked up an ex-Metropolitan Police ’03 TDi130 Sport estate for your budget; just over 110k and full service record from the company that looks after the Met cars – it’s had everything done.

With any used car, my first point to check is always tyres – matching set of four quality branded, or even matched pairs across axles, is usually a good sign. People who don’t scrimp on tyres don’t usually scrimp on servicing.

Can’t beat a good German estate… 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

Toyota Avensis estate Petrol.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“There is a reason why the Passat’s of that era hold their value, if you get a good one and look after it, they go on forever.”

Nope the reason is folk are delerious and go coo eyed over moneypits.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How did you go on the B5.5? DON’T get a Highline – it has the 5sp box and it’s not as strong or as good as the 6sp, especially if you plan on remapping it (which you should )

That’s odd, mine is a 6spd box!?

Nope the reason is folk are delerious and go coo eyed over moneypits

I can only base my opinion on past experience, which has been as I stated, and that of a few independents who all harp on about the reliability of that era.

I can’t see me being delirious and coo eyed over a £2k diesel estate, considering some of my car history.

mboy
    Free Member

This is fun and cost £2k also costs £140 to insure fully combo for me and the wife. It’s not my everyday drive but could be.

Mate, don’t! Seriously… Was very close to buying a 944 years ago, only reason I didn’t was cos of fuel economy. Was doing about 15k miles a year and low 20’s mpg just didn’t stack up! Same story with E30 M3’s too. If if have bought the Porsche, it would have been almost depreciation proof. If I’d have bought the Beemer, I’d have doubled my money on it inside 3-4 years as the market went crazy for them! Never mind…

Is the diesel an absolute must!?
    As already stated a £2k diesel will have done a lot of miles and may be ready for some expensive bills. Turbo’s don’t last forever etc.
    You will get a lot more car for your money with a petrol. Far less to go wrong on a NA petrol engine too.

I do about 1k a month I reckon, maybe slightly less. A petrol would cost me about £500 a year more in fuel I estimate. I know that’s only £10 a week, but a lot of my mileage is going places to ride, or visiting friends etc. Day in day out mileage isn’t very much, but once in a while I spend £50-60 going somewhere to ride. If that suddenly becomes £80-100 I’d likely not go. A turbo won’t last forever indeed, but if I factor into the purchase price of the vehicle the potential for a new turbo within the first 6-12 months of ownership, I can live with that. I know it sounds crazy but I prefer to know that I’m using less fuel too. That and diesels do sell much quicker too and hold their value better, as whatever I get will probably be replaced by a van in 12-18 months if things go right anyway.

How did you go on the B5.5? DON’T get a Highline – it has the 5sp box and it’s not as strong or as good as the 6sp, especially if you plan on remapping it (which you should )

The M5/M6 conspired against me. Going tomorrow now instead. Don’t like the spec on the Highline so much anyway, and yes I already know just how much stronger (and more economical) the 6spd boxes in the Sport are. There’s plenty of GT40 replicas out there with big horsepower small blocks tied to a VAG 6spd transaxle such as in the Passat Sport .

With any used car, my first point to check is always tyres – matching set of four quality branded, or even matched pairs across axles, is usually a good sign. People who don’t scrimp on tyres don’t usually scrimp on servicing.

We are one and the same it would seem!

Anyway, a spanner has been thrown in the works too… Toying with an Alfa 156 2.4JTD veloce with full main dealer history and relatively low miles on an 03 plate. Have spoken with the owner, the car sounds a peach and the price is very good too. Seriously grunty motor too the 5 pot Alfa diesel. We’ll see, but having never owned an Alfa but always having wanted one, and this one is almost too cheap to pass up, we’ll see what happens!

mboy
    Free Member

Bought the Passat in the end…

Dog smell, and minor ding in the rear door aside, it’s immaculate! Got someone getting to work on removing evidence of dog soon, then going to get a quote for fixing the minor ding in the door. Drove it back from near Manchester tonight down the M6/M5 through all the roadworks, 90 miles all told at about 60mph avg, it returned 60mpg for the trip! Ok, I expect about 45-48mpg avg overall for a year’s driving say, but 60mpg on a steady run is fantastic! The 6spd box undoubtedly helps…

chewkw
    Free Member

mboy,

That a good looking Passat indeed. Actually I prefer this model over the newer ones. Very nice colour too.

Ya, should get rid of the dog smell.

🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Boring car question… £2k to spend… etc etc etc.’ is closed to new replies.