Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Boring car insurance question.
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

If another driver admits fault and their insurance write your car off, anyone know how much next years premium is likely to rise due to me having had a no fault accident, if at all? Currently £300.
    It won’t affect my no claims right as I’m claiming other person admits liability.

Jamie
    Free Member

15.2%

wysiwyg
    Free Member

That the most sarcastic response you could muster? Standards are slipping!

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s not sarcasm. My brother was in the same situation, and his premium went up 15%.

…well, 15.2% on previous year.

Have a read of this to give you an idea of what the industry is up to:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/apr/16/no-fault-claims-car-insurance-aa

firestarter
    Free Member

Hopefully nothing as my Mrs has just had car written off by local water board van. Sat in traffic jam with hand brake on and they drove straight into her 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

@firestarter

From the above linked article:

Why pay more?

Insurers say the reason premiums rise is that statistical evidence shows that drivers involved in an accident, whether or not they are directly at fault, are more likely to be involved in another accident later on. Adrian Webb, a spokesman for esure, says: “In many cases no-fault claims can be a proxy for the environment in which you drive. For example, you may drive through certain awkward junctions, an accident blackspot, or be in a certain postcode that suffers from poor signage, all of which puts drivers at risk.”

They get you all ways. 😡

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Apologies Jamie!

So say a few hundred over however many years vs prob £800 payout

jon1973
    Free Member

My car was written off last year, third party paid up and my premium didn’t rise at all this year. Just shop around.

jota180
    Free Member

My car was written off last year, third party paid up and my premium didn’t rise at all this year. Just shop around.

I think a lot of policies went down this year, my 3 certainly did

nealglover
    Free Member

As above, prices have dropped.

Your insurance was more expensive than it would have been without the claim, it just wasn’t more than last year that all.

But it would have “gone up” in real terms.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Another quickie. Will the ins. Only pay book price. Say books price is £800 but I’ve spent £700 on it recently and it’s a spot on car will this be taken into consideration?

firestarter
    Free Member

I was wondering this also as just done service mot and clutch last week

Also book price hoe do they work that out. Insurance quote says an estimated value when I search but cheapest I can find same model car is 40% more it’s a little quite rare car. Can I just tell them to find me one if the money isn’t enough ??

Sorry for hijack 🙂

petrieboy

I had a not at fault ding a few years back. Come renewal time it had no effect with some insurers and a small effect on others (I checked prices for with and without) so…..it depends.

nealglover
    Free Member

I was wondering this also as just done service mot and clutch last week
    Also book price hoe do they work that out. Insurance quote says an estimated value when I search but cheapest I can find same model car is 40% more it’s a little quite rare car. Can I just tell them to find me one if the money isn’t enough ??
    Sorry for hijack

If you aren’t happy with their offer, talk to them.

Ask them to justify it by showing you what they have found for the money they are offering.

kcal

Do your research, it’s an ache but if you present them with a shed load of paper work (valuations, letter from garage, letter from service agent, full service history receipts, extras, then you should get a better payout.

solamanda
    Free Member

I had someone hit the back of a £850 car that I’d put 45k on. Ended up with a £800 payout and got to keep the car which I then sold for £450. Didn’t even have to fight for it. Very minor damage.

I’m unsure how much it increased my premiums.

mudmuncher

Similar happened to me a few months ago.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/can-i-claim-off-a-third-parties-insurance-for-the-increase-in-my-premium

I think it was around 15% the insurance went up by. Told them to stick it and I was going to get insured with another company. They then offered me a loyalty bonus to stay which I think was closer to 20% off so net effect was it went down slightly.

Having said that if I hadn’t been hit I had threatened to leave then I still would have go the 20%. The morale of the story is not to accept the first renewal premium they send through.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Boring car insurance question.’ is closed to new replies.