• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • boring, but essential 3-speed shifter question…
  • flyingmm

I want to get back on my bike, but my LH 3-speed shifter for my 3 x 9 xt set-up has just seized up after 7 years of otherwise faultless service

Is the left hand version of the following going to provide 3-speed or just 9-speed for the LH to use??

Shimano XT M770 9 Speed Trigger Shifter – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m770-9-speed-trigger-shifter/rp-prod20701

Thanks for taking the time to respond

monkeyboyjc

LH is 3 speed only
    RH is 9 speed only….

but I’m pretty sure you could use almost any LH shimano shifter as the front chain ring spacing will be the same for 9 or 10 speed.

coatesy
    Free Member

It’ll be 3 speed, it’s just labelled as part of a 9sp set-up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    superstu
    Free Member

Flyingmm have you checked it’s definitely dead? I had some 15 year old stx-rc shifters that I managed to resuscitate by taking apart completely and simply cleaning (I’m mechanically inept too)

flyingmm

Thanks folks. Yep, taken them apart superstu and feels like grime is part of the problem, but mainly the spring seems knackered – I’m having to pull the lever back

joshvegas
    Free Member

Worth just attacking it with degreaser of choice and see what happens?

gogg
    Free Member

I squirted some Muc-Off “Disc Cleaner” into a “stuck” shifter, worked fine again after that, just flushed some of the accumulated crap from the grease.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘boring, but essential 3-speed shifter question…’ is closed to new replies.