Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Boring-ass South Downs tyre advice needed
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Question for SD veterans. Is there such a thing as a big-ish volume, strong sidewalled front tyre that works well in South Downs clag AND Stanmer and Friston roots? Been running Mud-X, but want something with a bit more volume on my rigid.

piha
    Free Member

I rode a few of those area’s on Saturday (kinda big group ride thing) and found my Surly Nates were up to the job. Plenty of volume in them and didn’t slide about on roots or clog up. ;0

scottfitz
    Free Member

My clag/chalk/Roots South Downs combo is mudx 2.0 or Spesh storm 2.0 (might try a beaver one year) on back and a swampthing up front 2.35.

Edit: Spesh storm 2.0 come up a bit bigger than mudx 2.0

ssboggy

(might try a beaver one year)

Do not do this if you are looking for strong sidewalls, i like these tyres but they definitely don’t have stong sidewalls

cyclistm
    Free Member

Not hugely well liked on here, but I found a trailraker to be high volume and pretty good round Stanmer – fine on my rigid.

Combined with a narrow rear tyre.

I have gone across to Mud-X front and rear this year though.

club mate rides On-One Chunky Monkey, he really rates these.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Ooh, Chunky Monkey is a nice, cheap shout might give those a go…

dantsw13

I Run Chunky Monkeys on my Heckler. They are very grippy, and go up tubeless really well. I wouldnt call them a mud tyre though. Try the Geax Datura (also £15 from On-One) as a slightly beefier version of a Mud-X.

VanHalen

i`m still running my larsson!

you chaps need to man up. it was hero dirt yesterday in stanmer – loads of grip.

i`ll prob go mud x when it actually gets wet.

you want a narrow tyre with mud otherwise it floats on top of the squidgy stuff. just let a few more PSI out for comfort.

scottfitz
    Free Member

i`m still running my larsson!

I am too and will also be running it till it get muddy. Will be running them this Wednesday for some Kingley Vale Bridleway/Singtrack/Bermie/Jumpy/Slippy/Fun Can’t wait.

avdave2

Change your Mud X 26 for a Mud X 29*

* You may also need to change the wheel to do this.

I’ve done this on my rigid South Downs bike and it’s definitely an improvement. Would be nice if they did a bigger Mud X though as it’s a good general tyre.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Would be nice if they did a bigger Mud X though as it’s a good general tyre.

I second that a 2.25 one would be great, I would buy it.

dantsw13

Would be nice if they did a bigger Mud X though as it’s a good general tyre.

That pretty much describes the Datura, as above. Best £15 I spent!!

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I run High Rollers on my 26″ bikes all year round, Spesh Purgatory on the 29er

singletrackmind

£12.99 here . – http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYGXDTFT-26-BLK-22/geax_datura_mtb_folding_tyre___26_inch___black___22inch

Rode QE on Sunday and it was lethal. No grip on any roots , anywhere. Ended up letting 10psi out of my tyres to try to make progress on the climbs. That helped, but made it a little squirelly through the faster turns. cleaned the hell climb though , which I thought was going to be more slippery.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Boring-ass South Downs tyre advice needed’ is closed to new replies.