Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bored of Porridge any suggestions?
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

after 5 years or so of eating it I’m fed up of the mush… it’s great for my body and I know if I have it before I ride I won’t bonk for a long time… any other breakfasts with similar attributes? Wheatabix?

peterfile
    Free Member
    monkeychild
    Free Member

I use rice pudding if I am out for a long ride or before a race.

scotroutes

Lots of nice mueslis out there. Go for wholegrain stuff with no added salt and sugar or make up your own. I usually add some Greek yoghurt and fresh berries too.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Depends if you are a sweet or savoury porridger, i’m a savoury type muself, salt not sugar and on occasion tabasco, or smokey tabasco or even a dab of one of Patak’s pastes.

mattbee

Gin.

cheez0
    Free Member

Dirty fry up

Pieface

Muesli with a weetabix and some fruit – blueberries and straweberries are good.

Keva
    Free Member

I’m on the Dorset museli cereal at the moment, the blue packet as it’s lowest in sugar. Add raw jumbo porridge oats to pad it out, throw in some blueberries, mixed nuts and cinnamon and add greek yoghurt too.

The Pertwood organics is a nice museli too, watch for the sugar content in a lot of other brands though.

Pieface

The Jordan’s natural one has no added salt or sugar and is the cheapest to boot. A bit tasteless mind

_tom_
    Free Member

Egg and bacon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m not surprised you are bored of the same breakfast after 5 years ! You should be proud of sticking at it for that long. Porridge is great but I find it needs a bit of fruit on top to add some interest.

Wheatabix with semi skimmed and no sugar is my normal breakfast (4-5 days a week) but I do vary. Eggs fried (can be done with very little oil), scrambled or omelette with mushrooms or other vegetables. Baked Beans on toast. The occasional full monty !

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Here is my recipe for maple, pecan and cinnamon granola:

1 cup coconut flakes
    1/2 cup dessicated coconut (unsweetened)
    1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
    1/2 cup flaked almonds
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup pecan halves, roughly chopped
    pinch of salt
    1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
    2-4 tbsp maple syrup/agave syrup/honey (whatever taste you prefer – I usually mix maple syrup and agave)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

Toast in the oven at 150 degrees for 10 mins – 15 mins if you prefer it a bit more browned/crunchy

Keeps for weeks in a ziploc bag 🙂

You can mix dried fruit in it, have it with milk and fresh fruit on, with yoghurt and a banana….I love it for pre-ride fuel.

mightymule
    Free Member

Try Open All Hours for a while instead.

lemonysam
    Free Member

My girlfriend makes this regularly and although I’m more of a toast man I have to admit, it’s delicious:
    Naturally Sweetened Sesame Tahini Granola

_tom_
    Free Member

littlemisspanda that sounds awesome and seems to be paleo/primal diet friendly, definitely gonna give that a go at some point 😀

TiRed

I add copious amounts of apple sauce to mine. Mmm. You can buy huge jars from German delicatessens, but they don’t seem to last any longer. Or make your own stewed fruit.

drifting_james
    Free Member

all bran with no milk. Just add flavoured yoghurts which you can vary, I’m now experimenting with blending yogurts 😯

samuri
    Free Member

Egg and bacon for sure. I’ve lost almost a stone since January on the egg and bacon diet. It’s my favourite weight loss program.

sadexpunk

bored of porridge???? sacrilege!!

i chuck a load of frozen berries in mine these days and microwave it for 3 mins.

always used to be a weetabix man myself, until i discovered oatibix!! same as weetabix but er….. you guessed it, oatier 🙂 nomnomnom. whenever i see them on offer in the shops i stack up about 8 boxes at a time to last me til the next offer 😀

mugsys_m8

1 egg
    2 desert spoons of froamge blanc or yogurt
    3 desert spoons of son d’avoine
    stir up in a flat soup type bowl
    microwave full power for 4 minutes. Turns into an omlette/ galette type thing.

Bish. Bash. Bosh.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bored of Porridge any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.