• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by matts.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bored of my winter roadie
  • lunge

Morning all,

I’m afraid it’s another “recommend me a winter roadie” thread.

I won’t bore you with the story but basically I want a winter bike that feels like my summer bike. My summer bike is a light, stiff alu framed thing, it’s long, very “head down, arse up” and not very forgiving. But, it fast, it fits me like a glove and I love to ride it.

So what I want is a roadie that will take proper guards (SKS Chromoplastics or the like) and ideally 28mm tyres that is still stiff, long and actually feels like a race bike.

Does such a thing exist?

njee20
    Free Member

What is the summer bike?

Any reason you can’t get another frame (assuming it’s not that expensive if it’s alu) and build with cheaper bits?

tomkerton
    Free Member

How spendy? Two of my mates are running Lynksey Ti Cooper with full mudguards and 28mm tyres as winter bikes. No compromise there!

neilwheel
    Free Member

Get something completely different? Fixed?

lunge

njee, Summer bike is an Orbea. I had thought of doing as you suggested but it has no guard mounts which I see as pretty much essential on a winter bike.

hatter

If you’re buying a complete new build also look at disc brakes, they’re nice to have in the summer but an absolute godsend in the winter.

My local lanes are a potholed, filthy mess ATM, 32c hardshells, full SKS’s and discs are definitely the way forward. Anything too similar to my ‘Sunday best’ roadie wouldn’t last 5 minutes.

muddy9mtb

join the dark side
    buy a mountain bike 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the budget? Could you live with 25mm tyres? That might be the biggest sticking point TBH.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve just crammed some Crud race guards on one of my summer bikes (KTM). They’re not ideal though cos they flap and rub most the time but after a while you just ignore it.

I also don’t like the feel of a bike being sluggish or using cheaper gear cos its winter – hence why I’m making do on one of my existing bikes. I don’t quite get the need for 28mm tyres. Narrow tyres are narrow tyres, does 2 or 3mm here or there make much difference? I don’t sling it round wet bends so much anyway, and would still be dodging pot holes regardless.

Kinesis 4S as a suggestion? I love my Kinesis Aithein, so if that’s anything to go by, the 4S would be a good bet. And from first hand experience, Kinesis’s after sales/warranty support is excellent.

lunge

What’s the budget? Could you live with 25mm tyres? That might be the biggest sticking point TBH.

Budget, Not sure, I’d likely be buying frame only though could be persuaded on a complete build. £600 ish for the frame I guess?

25mm tyres would be fine, I’d prefer 28mm but if everything else was there, 25mm would be OK.

Disk brakes would be good too, I have them on my currently winter bike and do like them. Again, they are not a deciding factor though.

Kinesis 4s looks VERY interesting, good suggestion that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I was gonna recommend what I own (surpise surprise) in the form of a Ribble 365 Sportive.

Not fashionable I know, but genuinely quite racy, light, comfy enough and takes Chromoplastics nicely with 25mm tyres. The bike is really growing on me, especially since it inherited a set of half-decent wheels.

It would fit your brief very well IMO.

They have a couple of di2 frames going cheap on their frame clearance sheet…
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/assets/images/FrameClearance2014.pdf

I presume di2 frames can still be built up with mechanical groupsets?

njee20
    Free Member

I had thought of doing as you suggested but it has no guard mounts which I see as pretty much essential on a winter bike.

Raceblade Longs are good IMO. Decent coverage, relatively nice to fit, non rattly decent clearance. I personally prefer them to full guards anyway! YMMV.

brooess
    Free Member

I think Ribble do a carbon version of their winter frame don’t they?
    Kinesis seem to be recommended for a nippy winter bike
    My Condor Fratello isn’t as fast as the summer bike but it’s certainly no slouch

mrblobby
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the winter bike? If it’s just a fit thing then that can be sorted unless the frame is way off.

Failing that, race blade longs on the summer bike and maybe a winter specific set of wheels.

lunge

mrblobby, The winter bike is a heavy steel frame (a Kaffenback) which I’ve got to as close as I can to the fit of my summer bike. It’s still a little short but as I have a lay back post and a 130mm stem there isn’t much more I can do with it (it’s an XL by the way, I like my roadies long and low). Saying that, the fit, whilst a factor, is not the limiting factor. That is the frame weight (lots) and feel (dead) combined with similar feeling wheels.

I could change the wheels, I suspect this would help, but what I am now thinking is buy a new winter roadie and use the Kaff for a bit of Cross and cafe cruising.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Get a CX and enjoy the winter mud.

TiRed

Cannondale CAAD8 and PDW Full Metal Fenders. CAAD8 has mudguard eyelets and clearance for 25c tyres. 28 might be a squeeze too far.

cheers_drive

I have a Kinesis T2 with full guards and 28C, it would fit your brief well. Although if I had the cash at the time I would have gone for the 4.

schmiken

I have a Kinesis Racelight T, would thoroughly recommend. Personally will be chopping it in for a Kinesis GF Ti as soon as I’ve saved up enough.

matts
    Free Member

When the chainstay rusted through on my 7 year old Kaffenback I originally looked at the Kinesis 4S or GF_Ti. The stack/reach of the 60 is very close to that of the XL Kaffy (kaffy, inc headset: 590/400, 4S 595/404).

I’ve now decided on a change of tack, however, and have ordered a Tripster instead.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bored of my winter roadie’ is closed to new replies.