Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Bored of life
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

DT, if you’re ever around wilts drop me a line, few beers.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even to the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
    they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain or bitter,
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals,
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.
    Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love,
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life,
    keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Sounds as though there are some aspects of your life your not happy with possibly? Maybe career, relationships, family issues?

I know I have a habit of comparing my life to that of my friends and peers and also have a fear of missing out on things that all mmy mates are doing. This sometimes leads me to question whether I’m making the most of my life but then I remind myself that I’m happy and I cant possibly do EVERYTHING my friends do.

You could always get yourself a copy of this? http://www.bookofcool.com/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dave – take up hang gliding and take off beside tandem when he’s standing near a cliff edge – take a camera

LOL

Serious answer – It might be mild depression / the beginnings of depression – it might not. Myself I doubt it but it worth exploring. Your GP is someone to go to but don’t expect miracles in one 10 min consultation.

I am a big fan of counselling. Pills for depression are only a treatment not a cure and IMO only for a few months anyway.

I will repeat don’t “set off to see the world” – what might happen is you end up in the same mood somewhere else – and then its worse as you have no one you know around you. I have been there. Its a very black place indeed

If you really want to travel then do so – but it is no cure for what you are feeling right now IMO

tankslapper – ruddy heck – I didn’t expect that from you. Very nice

tankslapper
    Free Member

Its the Desiderata by Max Erhmann

It helped give me (some) perspective over the years. We all go through not so good stuff, what do they say? Into every life falls a little rain. I believe you are here for a reason, not always apparent, but if that’s helping someone, being a mate, fitting in then that’s it.

With me I’ve always tried to combine interests – it may surprise some to learn that my interests include mountain biking and yacht racing but I mix that with things like gardening, reading and an appreciation of art – I’m no officianado, I do it for me! I have even kept bees for years, would love to again, certainly a good way to take your mind of things. As an ex-forest manager I love trees, and woodland management mountain biking allows me to cycle in some of the best places in the Welsh Marches and Mid Wales and criticise the hell out of woodland management techniques or lack of it! 😆

Doing nothing is not an option

midlifecrashes

Have you considered volunteering in some way rather than work/family/hobby changes. There are plenty of organisations around who could use an extra pair of hands, and it would take you out of your normal routine and group of friends/colleagues. Or you could try bigamy, you wouldn’t have time to mope then.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t really say what kind of personal circumstances you’re in now, but here’s a few suggestions…

1. Take up gardening, preferably growing veg. Amazingly therapeutic and rewarding materially and psychologically.

2. Cook all your meals from scratch, amke it part of your day. I think thsi satisifies some basic hunter gatherer instinct.

3. Don’t spend so much time on web forums, the open-ended non-narrrative nature of them – where nothing is ever really resolved – is enough to break a fragile mind. I mean – how many years has this place been going and there’s still no definitive verdict on Superstar brake pads.

4. Study philosophy in some vague search for meaning in your life, realise that (like William Goldwin the screenwriter said about Hollywood) nobody knows anything anyway, and so stop worrying about abstract questions.

5. Stop smoking dope (just in case you do).

6. Smoke more dope, and also try MDMA, LSD and ketamine (but not all at the same time).

If none of those work, then I give up.

Good luck though, can I ask how old you are – out of interest?

grumm
    Free Member

Have you considered volunteering in some way rather than work/family/hobby changes. There are plenty of organisations around who could use an extra pair of hands, and it would take you out of your normal routine and group of friends/colleagues.

Good idea imo.

Also def cut down on any booze or drugs and do plenty of exercise, eat properly.

Valerian is good stuff too. 🙂

Maybe meet up with me and show me that dh trail in Grizedale too – couldn’t find it last time I was up there. 😛

samuri
    Free Member

yeah, been there and much worse. Certainly done the standing on the edge thing as above a number of times. A great robot once said ‘it’s in your nature to destroy yourselves’, which is entirely true and I think men in particular find it difficult not to be doing something useful and when they’re not it’s no huge step to look at a precipice and wonder how it would feel.

Have you thought about kidnapping women and keeping them in a hole in your cellar? You’d have dependants, a hobby to keep you going after work and the chance of getting your front door kicked in at 4am by a gang of shotgun touting coppers is going to keep you right on your toes.

NZCol

Quite honestly the best thing you can do is go out on the ran-dan and have meaningless s3x with random women, men or animals or in fact all of the above.

Works for me when i feel a little ‘blue’.

HTH

mrsflash
    Free Member

The things you are saying ring a lot of bells with me, it might be worth a trip to the doctors. They have a questionnaire for you to do which indicates whether you may be depressed. They will talk things over with you, and look at suitable courses of action. I have been referred to the community mental health team as well as put on some anti-ds, so am waiting for an appointment to look at CBT or counselling, so it’s not just all about prescribing drugs.

woodsman
    Free Member

NLP – I’m surprised no one’s mentioned it yet. Get down to Waterstones or any bookshop, under the self help section. NLP, Neuro Linguistic Programing, a beginers/introduction/how to improve your mind state level of book. The one I recommend is ‘NLP – the art and science of getting what you want’ easy reading positive thought enhancing book.

Start there – do it today.

Pete

tankslapper
    Free Member

Dave – you still with us mate?

waihiboy
    Free Member

then I tend to start thinking Im wasting my life and should be doing something far more interesting.

i have this every week… my life is great apart from work, which when you think about it is mad as it takes up so much of your life.

im trying my best to get off my arse and get a new job in a totally different direction (Ambulance tech)

ive started going to the local St Johns ambulance aswell and that has got me off my arse and not made me think “ive done jack shit this week”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, still here. Im at work so dont come on here if I can help it.

Thanks for the replies, although Im sure they are making things sound more serious than they are.

I think I may wait till Im back from France and if I’m still getting these odd feelings then it might be worth taking some action. Going in a couple of weeks for about 2.5 weeks, a holiday is probably what Im after.

Chakaping – Im 24

chakaping
    Free Member

Two and a half weeks biking in France? Jammy git. If that doesn’t perk you up then it will be time to worry.

Only asked your age as these kind of feelings are quite common in peoples’ mid-20s. I had them myself and put it down to a general “finding my place in the world” malaise.

Other people I’ve spoken to felt like this because of the disparity between their expectations on leaving university and the harshness of the real world/job market.

I don’t want to read too much into a few posts on a message board of course, but my own theory is that humans are programmed to breed – and putting it off to enjoy an extended youth in our 20s creates a non-specific feeling of rootlessness and inertia. A feeling that you “should be doing more”.

Anyway, that’s just my take on it. Enjoy France.

grumm
    Free Member

Only asked your age as these kind of feelings are quite common in peoples’ mid-20s. I had them myself and put it down to a general “finding my place in the world” malaise.

Other people I’ve spoken to felt like this because of the disparity between their expectations on leaving university and the harshness of the real world/job market.

Yup me too – only started to properly enjoy life and feel good about myself in the last couple of years when I have got a rewarding job and got a bit fitter. I was pretty miserable after leaving uni – had no idea what to do with my life.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I agree with the mid 20s thing. You start “settling down” ie job, work, bills, running a house, and then you have the slow dawning realisation that this is *it* for the next x amount of years. And it’s a bit of a shocker.

Then in your 30s you realise that you quite like settling down and you join the stw friday gardening chat thread.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Ahhh! Mrs.F you know your onions 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. “Low” episodes are a bind.
    Do you have work/family/financial problems – they do me in 🙁
    Do you have someone/people to cycle with?
    A regular timetable of things to do, including social things?

Anyways, I hope you work through it before too long.

coffeeking
    Free Member

When I don’t keep my mind occupied I’m obsessed and terrified by the unanswerable questions regarding death and where space ends, and what contains space..etc ad nauseum.

There’s a whole raft of apparently depressed Theoretical Physicists then 😀

mrsflash
    Free Member

indeed tankslapper i am a wise old crone.

Jamie
    Free Member

davidtaylforth:

I think I may wait till Im back from France…..Going in a couple of weeks for about 2.5 weeks….

Well that is all my sympathy for you out the window 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

2 and a half weeks of sleeping in a tent – I hope it doesnt rain.

kona_uk
    Free Member

I had something similar, the last 18 months or so have been crap, down to grief, relationship going pete tong and generally just feeling bored and low…

But during the last 5 or 6 months I have been meeting loads of new people (complete strangers) for riding, walking and new stuff…

IMO it’s made a hell of a difference to the state of my mind…and I’m loving it…visiting new places, meeting people, trying new stuff…

I’m not saying for one minute it will work for you, but I wanted to avoid pills at all costs…I just want to have fun…

Chin up and keep smiling…

stcolin
    Free Member

Hi David,

If it’s any help I’ve had depression for over 2 years now. One of the best things I found is simply to surround yourself with the people you love, friends and family. Eat well too, it’s a big part of how you’ll feel physically.

I’ve also stopped getting seriously stressed about work, and concentrate on doing the things I love outside of work.

You work to live, not live to work.

Joxster
    Free Member

Right now I’m a wreck and I doing all I can to hold it together. Over the last few days I’ve considered which would be the best way to go. The bottom has dropped out of my world.

MrAgreeable

What is it with you track cyclists and depression? You want to try getting out in the fresh air! 🙂

Seriously chap, drop me an email if you want to talk to someone.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Right now I’m a wreck and I doing all I can to hold it together. Over the last few days I’ve considered which would be the best way to go. The bottom has dropped out of my world.

Joxter, it was you who was trying to sort out a divorce amicably wasn’t it? How’s that going?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Crikey Joxster, what happened?

Joxster
    Free Member

I’m finding it very hard coping with loosing the person I wanted to spend my life with

grumm
    Free Member

I’m sure I will get accused of being a hand-wringing liberal Guardianista etc, but when I was depressed I found that reading things like this helped to put my problems in perspective:

‘About 25,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger-related causes, according to the United Nations.
    http://www.poverty.com/

Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.
    http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world required $61,000 in assets
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-12/unu-pss120106.php

Not trying to belittle anyone’s problems, just like I said, for me it made me realise that in many ways my life was pretty damn good, and that I should stop focussing on the negative so much.

footflaps

Not a very helpful post grumm and if those articles made a difference it wasn’t depression, just malaise. If you’ve had depression, esp severe, you’d know about it and wouldn’t post such nonsense.

shooterman

I’ve often wondered how people in go-getting jobs requiring strong personalities cope when they are hit by depression?

clubber
    Free Member

Joxter, ditto mr_a’s post. You’re fairly local iirc so drop me an email if you need to talk or even if you fancy trying riding with some different people just for a change of scene.

baa
    Free Member

I agree with footflaps, I’m still getting over depression. I couldn’t even read one page, and I read avidly. In fact I couldn’t concentrate for more than 5 minutes on anything. At least I’m reading again, and moving forward

grumm
    Free Member

Not a very helpful post grumm and if those articles made a difference it wasn’t depression, just malaise. If you’ve had depression, esp severe, you’d know about it and wouldn’t post such nonsense.

I’m sure you know better than the healthcare professionals I saw, based on a post on an internet forum.

I wasn’t severely depressed no, doesn’t sound like the OP is either. I’m saying for me personally, reading things like that helped me in a small way to start challenging my own negative thinking. I’m sure for many people it’s completely irrelevant and not helpful, but it could be for some, and there’s no need to be a cock about it.

I probably didn’t really explain the relevance of it to me particularly well in the last post.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Joxter, I’m really sorry to hear you’re struggling so much. Think counselling may help talk things out?

MrAgreeable

I’m finding it very hard coping with loosing the person I wanted to spend my life with

It may not feel like it at the moment but things WILL get better. As Mrsflash says, talk to someone, can be a professional or a mate, but don’t just recycle the same thoughts in your head and think about what might have been.

Fitzy
    Free Member

Hey Joxster, I’m going through the exact same thing so I know how you feel. It’s very hard but try to believe in yourself, get out with some mates and don’t be afraid to show some emotions with them – it does help.
    Your be surprised how many friend you have.

Good luck mate, god knows we all need it!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Bored of life’ is closed to new replies.