Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • bored of bikes after 25 years…final realisation that 29ers are a bit crap
  • tazzymtb

god lord no..it was purely to keep young ton amused and follow up with the trend of bored and mleh threads this morning. If I was going I would simply slope off..no need for drama queen moments..it’s so ungentlemanly 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

final realisation that 29ers are a bit crap

It’s great you have realised it, some never do 😆

I’m not much into riding at the moment, I can’t seem to find the motivation when it is pissing it down, muddy and dark.

Once the trails have frozen over I’m sure I’ll be keener.

Gotama
    Free Member

Oooh blacksheep, post a piccie. The swoopy bars and forks will give you muchos attention whoring points.

globalti
    Free Member

Get a road bike and rediscover cycling. The same happened to me after 22 years of mud and now I’m even fitter than I was then.

JCL
    Free Member

Jcl..since the 80’s numb nuts geoff apps was building them in 1981

We’ll that’s BS for a start. I know for a fact he was participating in Worlds Strongest Man that year.

tazzymtb

😀 fool

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do biking differently 🙂 Downhill, or 4x or something. Trail/xc bores me these days, so I’m adding dh and maybe racing into the mix

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

To the OP’s point, sometimes buying the ‘wrong’ bike can be a bad thing. I haven’t come close to quitting, but may know where he’s coming from.

I’ve found that going to bigger/less engaging bikes damps my enthusiasm a bit. Long-travel 29ers and 6in 26in bikes whose capabilities that I’ll never live up to make climbing less fun and descending a bit numb. I don’t think it’s just me- the bigger friends’ bikes get, the less they seem to ride over time.

It may not be as crazy as it sounds at first blush. I’ve sold off a few bikes that didn’t excite me and just ride the bike that’s best suited to my tastes and local trails. In any case, trying a bike that you’re excited about (be it 26in, 650b, singlespeed, or ‘other’) may well be worth a shot if you’ve been riding that long…

Cheezpleez

I felt like this for a bit after going tubeless. Took up twerking and didn’t touch the bike for six months. Eventually my wife got Nick Knowles and the DIY SOS team to do a shed makeover for me and that put me right.

emac65
    Free Member

We’ll that’s BS for a start. I know for a fact he was participating in Worlds Strongest Man that year.

ha ha ha 😀

tommid
    Free Member

Bye

unovolo
    Free Member

Take up Magpie spotting, so far I’m up to 6.
    The key is to look out for the tiny differences like a slightly different hop(bit like Ministry of funny walks) or tilt of the beak.

psling
    Free Member

Have a glug of Absinthe, Taz. After a pint of that even fat bikes look attractive… 8)

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Unovolo- stick at 6- gold is better than secrets never to be told in my book

Kryton57

I was having this conversation yesterday, and while most designers can build a bike for most things, the wheel size always has the well documented impacts on the ride that we’ve all read about.

Via a via, chose your weapon; if you want quick and snappy then smaller wheels; if you want more centrifugal rolling capability get bigger wheels. If you want the best of / to compromise both, get 650b.

Bit has been said, it’s more about the bike you enjoy riding.

tazzymtb

Just to clarify. .I love me bikes and riding..this was purely a thread started on the day of the misery guts rants about how it was all doom n gloom on silly track world. 😀

Thanks for the lovely supportive comments though..and psling ia spot on..its always better after a pint of green evil

benji
    Free Member

Theres only one proper place for 29er wheels, and that’s on a cyclocross bike 🙂 saying that wouldn’t part with my RC129 it’s a great just go for a pootle fun ride that isn’t training.

tazzymtb

Yep got a cyclo cross as well fun when its sloppy for puking a lung

andypaul99
    Free Member

Theres only one proper place for 29er wheels, and that’s on a cyclocross bike

Been there, done it and sold it. There are only ever two bikes you need to own, a MTB and a road bike.

Ive yet to find anybody who whilst riding their CX bike on road, wished to be on a road bike and off road, were wishing for a MTB. Like i said if you RACE CX that does justify it but for casual use, no way!. Sorry.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cx bikes are great I used to love being out in the yorks dales on one in any weather.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘bored of bikes after 25 years…final realisation that 29ers are a bit crap’ is closed to new replies.