• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by wool.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • booze advice please – buying wine?
  • tor5
    Free Member

I’m hoping the STW hive is partial to the odd glass of red along with a pint or three and a decent single malt….

I’m after a good bottle of Amarone, but need some advice on where to shop, good years, producers etc. budget circa £50. Should I be heading to the LBS (Local Bottle Shop)?

BTW – It has to be Amarone, it’s a gift and the type of wine is important

MrSmith
    Free Member

Allegrini or Le Salette

nedrapier

Show him the way to…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kcal

Masi. Valvona & Crolla in Edinburgh.

MrSmith
    Free Member

am i allowed to change my mind?
    this:

Brigaldara. weighty at 17% but very very smooth

RobHilton
    Free Member

I had an expensive phase on Amarone a few years back – for my taste Allegrini was the nicest I had.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Where do you live ? Reason I ask is that at that budget (pretty decent) you want to go to a proper wine shop. If you want to do some online research have a look at this site Berry Brothers, they have a good shop in central London also their warehouse is outside Basingstoke. Just to make things slightly more complicated at that budget and with that wine you will (and should) get variations by year, so actually you need to match the wine with the year. Berry Brothers are pretty good so you’ll be able to see accurate price variations on their website. You may find they have some “bin ends” for example which are cheaper than your budget for a great wine.

EDIT: Just checked Berry’s only have two available by the bottle and most of the wine is “in bond”, ie its been bought and stored by a customer but that customer is willing to sell but that will only be in cases of 12. Happy hunting.

drlex
    Free Member

From the merchant I favour. Add in delivery and you’re on budget.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m an Amarone fan, tho my budget doesn’t extend beyond £30. Alpha Zeta was probably the one I’ve enjoyed most in recent times (can’t recall vintage). It had strong raisin/fuit cake flavour and quite smooth.

tor5
    Free Member

Thanks gentlemen, I have a couple of bottles winging their way to me – one as a gift and one to “test” for myself (I never normally pay more than £20 for a bottle of wine, so this is going to be a treat!)

wool

Amarone Classico Terre di Cariano Cecilia Beretta 2008 £29.95

http://www.independent-wine-review.com/2012/09/cecilia-beretta-terre-di-cariano_24.html

A safe bet in a world of smoke and mirrors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘booze advice please – buying wine?’ is closed to new replies.