Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Booths Supermarket- any fans?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

The nearest to me is Media City, Salford. I love it to bits. Brilliant food, wines and beers and the staff are genuinely helpful and affable. If I call in for a “few bits” it normally costs £60+ as I get carried away. Last time I popped in I bought a bottle of Knob Creek by accident….

amodicumofgnar

Another Booths fan, although if you really want to blow the budget Cranstons Cumbrian Foodhall in Penrith is always a good bet.

thecaptain
    Free Member

A convenient Booths was the main requirement for my recent house search 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

W’mere and Knutsford (in the past). As above good but expensive

hora
    Free Member

I alsays end up with their steak sandwich plus their cafe lets you eat said grub in their.

m&s say only cafe bought food in their cafe

bearnecessities

Sorry to buck the trend, but when I lived in LSA, I just didn’t get the whole Booths thing, or how they appeal to the ‘common man’.

Not a supermarket so limited choice.

Fair enough, but then what they did have was nice, but way to expensive!

Saw some nice motors though, parked outside.

jp-t853

Mark Owen used to work in the kirby lonsdale store pushing trolleys. At least he had his tax deducted at source

ratadog

Booths always fondly associated with holidays in the Lakes especially the Windermere branch in the old station buildings. Fair spread through Lancashire and Cumbria with furthest East in Ripon at the moment, although there are early plans to come to Malton which is very local to me and will cost me a fortune.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The one here in Ulverston is rather fine! Probably the best in South Cumbria at the moment. It is one thing I will miss if and when we move on (the beer aisle in particular – it is vast and full of loveliness!)

I keep wanting to visit the Penrith one when passing as that looks HUGE but get waylaid by Cranstons. We are considering moving up that way possibly though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keswick used to be my local but I would frequent the Media Circus one when I was down south. It was all good apart from the beeb luvvies taking ages in the lift….

Bunnyhop

Cranstons Cumbrian Foodhall

Now this sounds my kind of place.

To everyone saying how expensive it is. Well not really. You are paying fair prices to farmers and local suppliers when shopping at a family run store such as Booths. Tesco just have everyone who supplies them by the short and curlies 😕

grum
    Free Member

Mark Owen used to work in the kirby lonsdale store pushing trolleys. At least he had his tax deducted at source

Really? Mark Owen only moved to Kirkby after he was famous in Take That!? He used to come in the cafe where I worked quite regularly. 😕

grum – I like Iceland, the staff in there are fantastic and can’t do enough for you

Knew I should have said Farm Foods. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I went to Booths last night. I came out with loads of Longley Farm yoghurts, a beef puff pastry pie, fresh pasta and a couple bottles of beer. £15! 😯 Saying that…. I did get a few different yoghurt flavours…

globalti
    Free Member

The new Booths at Media City is a really smashing store and the other good ones are Windermere and Garstang. Our nearest is Clitheroe, which is not such a nice building but has all the excellent local produce and an amazing selection of gins and beers, which they sell at good prices – usually eight bottles of something like Wainwright’s bitter for £10.00.

One Christmas Mrs Gti and I were doing some last-minute shopping in Clitheroe where they had a packer at the end of each belt, to keep the shoppers moving briskly. Ours was a very tall, senior-looking gentleman whose name badge I didn’t read. I casually asked him if they knew how many tons of product was going across the tills in a day like that and he came straight back with a string of statistics and inside knowledge that astonished me. As we left the store Mrs Gti told me: “That was MR BOOTH!”

traildog
    Free Member

Booths is my local supermarket and to be honest it’s quite comparable and more often than not cheaper than the big supermarkets. I think the reputation for price is because there are plenty of things in there which are quite a lot more expensive, so the final bill ends up more.

I don’t like this move to self service tills. Part of the reason for going in there is the staff are so friendly. I’m boycotting those tills and to be honest it looks like a lot of people are also. They’ve cut half the tills in our one now so the queues are even worse than usual!

xiphon
    Free Member

Fantastic selection of beers/ales/ciders, and they started in Blackpool donkeys years ago.

Only place I can get Ringwood Brewery stuff up here!

Daffy

Drac – Moderator

There’s no vikings any more.

are NOT “is”

…and it’s northern England.

slowoldman

I don’t like this move to self service tills.

I refuse to use them anywhere. But then I remember the good old days when a chap used to come out to fill your car up and wash the windscreen. You tell the kids of today that…

ourmaninthenorth

As we left the store Mrs Gti told me: “That was MR BOOTH!”

I understand that, within the business, he’d b referred to as Mr Edwin. (And Simon Booth as Mr Simon, etc.)

Rather charmingly traditional, yet friendly at the same time. Whatever they call them, the service at my local store (Hesketh Bank) is excellent and my daughter insists we go into the cafe before we shop. Cheese and ham toasties…. yum!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I like them- had a good fry up breakfast in the one in Keswick, and I hear they’re a bit more ethically committed than some of the others. As a Midlander though I only ever see one when I’m up in the Lakes, and even if there was one locally I doubt I’d do all my shopping there.

botanybay
    Free Member

Booths is great, as others have said, tye beer selection is excellent as is the rest of the booze.

They sell mini kegs of St. Peters, Budvar and Adnams. Bonza!

Bunnyhop

I understand that, within the business, he’d b referred to as Mr Edwin. (And Simon Booth as Mr Simon, etc.)

When I worked for Arighi Bianchi in Macclesfield the boss was of course Mr. Bianchi as was his brother and father and sons. So it was traditional to call them Mr. Paul, Mr. Anthony and so on. as with Booths.

amodicumofgnar

Bunnyhop there’s even a cafe upstairs

geoffj

The one in Kendal is my local when we’re down at the inlaws. The cafe in there is very nice.
    And it does knock waitrose into a cocked hat- more fortnum and mason really.

bob_summers

The one here in Ulverston is rather fine! Probably the best in South Cumbria at the moment. It is one thing I will miss if and when we move on (the beer aisle in particular – it is vast and full of loveliness!)

Yes yes yes! The few times I make it up there to visit the family, the beer aisle is the first port of call. Not ashamed to admit I usually weep with joy when I get there.

ourmaninthenorth

When I worked for Arighi Bianchi in Macclesfield the boss was of course Mr. Bianchi as was his brother and father and sons. So it was traditional to call them Mr. Paul, Mr. Anthony and so on. as with Booths.

I remember being tasked by one of them to sell the business. Deal was forever on and off. I had to question the capacity for even short term decision-making….

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Kendal was is decent. As has been said “ale”! Great for that! Good selection. And they do a fair bit of good meats, game, rabbit, guinea fowl and the likes.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s fairly common in companies to call people “Mr (first name)” – our Chairman used to be called Mr Dennis and his son Mr Paul.

Unfortunately my name being Ben, my Sudanese customers all call me “Mr Bean” for some reason!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Edit – double post

BadlyWiredDog

There is talk of one coming to Marple where I live, as long as it doesn’t take custom away from the local retailers, I’m happy to have one in the village

Is Stockport a village now? Blimey, ruralisation moves on apace 🙂

Bunnyhop

Is Stockport a village now? Blimey, ruralisation moves on apace

It was when I was a lass, all green fields, as far as the eye could see.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Booths Supermarket- any fans?’ is closed to new replies.