Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Boot liners
  • andyl
    Free Member

highly exciting topic I know…

Looking for a boot liner. Mainly for tools, sheep food, muddy bike etc but will occasionally put dogs in there (our dog goes in a hammock on the back seat but other peoples dogs go in the boot!).

Options are:

1. Deep PVC rubber one with grippy section and 2″ edge lips. Looks decent quality.

2. PU coated fabric that is custom stitched to the whole boot and protects the backs of the seats, sides of the boot and has a fold down flap.

3. Cheaper rubber one with a carpet insert.

4. Flat rubber with no edges.

I like the idea of the boot lip protector and back of the seats but can re-use old car hammocks for that as we used to buy cheap ones that would eventually rip at the straps due to friends labradors that were a bit too heavy/clumsy. I will probably stick a strip of heli stape the top of the bumper as well as backup.

So thinking about number 1 and DIY the lip and seat back protection.

Not too bothered about protecting the sides of the boot as doing so would cover the side pockets and it would need to be detached from the rear headrests before dropping the seats which makes the whole remote seat release from the back of the boot useless.

Any real life experience?

One concern is the spare wheel area with a tray will all my bike stuff is under the floor too. Thinking a rubber one will be a pain to lift out but be easier than a fabric one.

brassneck

I bought a rubbery one with a lip, model fitted for £17 off EBay – for that I didn’t really think any further, but then I have a van for if its likely to be filthy.

Milkie
    Free Member

I went for option 2, Hatchbag.co.uk, it cost a pretty penny, as I went for boot flap and extended area that covers to the front seats. Fitment is pretty good, better than I could’ve done and a lot better than the eBay specials. I thought it was pretty thin, but it is more than upto the job. Sliding my bikes pedals on it and it doesn’t mark.

It’s great with the dogs, I cut a bit of vet bed to size for when I do have to take Mothers dogs, otherwise they just slide about.

As the boot is carpeted, the liner just used Velcro hooks to stick to the carpet.

somouk
    Free Member

I recently brought an ebay rubber one for £16 for the back of an A6. It’s fitted to the boot floor and has a 1″ lip all the way around, can’t fault it really for the money.

wwaswas

I have the second one (official BMW tailored one for the car) and it’s great with the dog, trips to the tip etc.

I’ve managed to rip it dragging old bits of wood with nails in it out of the boot at the tip, though.

[edit]

would need to be detached from the rear headrests before dropping the seats

the bmw one folds down witht he seats and has an extension that increases the protection to the back of the front seats – you end up with a protective ‘tub’ the whole length of the load space.

Sundayjumper

Bought a #2 for our Passat from an ebay seller and it’s pretty good, especially with dogs as it keeps the fluff off the sides of the boot, unlike the previous floor-only mat.

benp1

Bloody hell, this is identical to the thread I did a while ago, scarily similar, seriously – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/car-boot-protection-linersmats

Mini review of what I bought at the end too

Greybeard
    Free Member

Bought a Hatchbag for our Focus estate, with bumper flap and extension. Works well, but a friend who saw it just bought a roll of the pvc fabric from and industrial supplier and made his own, 90% as good.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 Hatchbag in my Civic.

Flap over back, not that I use it for a dog, but still handy to ensure I’m not scratching up the edge with bars of the bike when shoving it in.

I’ve got an underfloor spare wheel space (no wheel, just gunk stuff so keep loads of other junk in there). The liner is velcro attached and just lift up and lift the underfloor, fairly easy.

Deals with rear seat split, and attaches on the sides of the boot. They do a version now that covers the sides of the rear doors also with seats down, but I didn’t have that option at the time.

Not too much hassle to pull out and shake out the mud/crud.

andyl
    Free Member

benp1 – Member
    Bloody hell, this is identical to the thread I did a while ago, scarily similar, seriously – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/car-boot-protection-linersmats

Mini review of what I bought at the end too

Do you know what is really creepy?

Same car…same year…and we both used numbered options.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bfKCk3cRTM[/video]

andyl
    Free Member

have you got a photo of your bumper trim? I already have some sort of stainless trim fitted but it’s just the lip. I was thinking about just using some helitape on the actual bumper.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Boot liners’ is closed to new replies.