Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Boot dilema – Vaude, Shimano or Giro
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Need to replace my five year old Shimano MT91s as they have holes in the leather and are generally on their way out.

Logical choice is Shimano XM9 as it appears to be an improved version of the MT91.

German brand Vaude make something similar with the simply named Vaude TSALI AM MID STX. Waterproof, vibram sole and nubuck upper.

Gaerne make a slight change with a Polyamide; synthetic microfibre upper and then the same Gore-Tex membrane and vibram sole.

Although Giro make the similar Alpinduro I am for some reason not keen and prefer the Terraduro Mid which is less boot and more shoe with a cuff and also not waterproof.

Anything I might of missed for a good hike a bike all weather boot? Any real world experience with the above options would be welcome.

ajantom

I’ve got the Giro Alpinduro.

Pluses are that it’s incredibly comfy, waterproof, and good for walking/hike-a-biking.

Minuses are that the rubber sole around the cleat area started to fall apart in its second winter after not a huge amount of use.

dovebiker

Some deals around on Mavic Crossmax Pro previous model Scree – mine have been great for 4 winters and Mavic’s sole is the best hike-a-bike. Some of the Giro MTB shoes not reknown for durability, particularly soles coming adrift.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m in the same position. I’ve had Mt90s and mt91s so the logical choice is the new shimano.

I tried Northwave Celsius but they didn’t fit.

Del

Found the Shimano narrow even compared to the mt91 and 90, though other’s views differ.
    I have a set of the lakes warming up. Boa, more bike than hike, but waxed canvas and if you take the winter insole out not too hot when you don’t need it.

Del

Also tried the celsius and found them too narrow

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got some Gaerne Lapo’s which I find super comfy, Vibram soles which are hanging off after a hike round the back of Liathach, & one shoe is splitting around the sides. So….
    I bought some new ones which are still in the box cos the old ones refuse to die!

These are probably my favourite & comfiest shoes I’ve used in 23 years of SPD’s.

duncancallum

I’ve some different vaudes n they are holding up well. Nice n comfy

tomaso
    Free Member

Mavic shoes seem narrow to me. I tried some Crossmax ones in 47 1/3 and they make my feet go numb in 10 minutes. I wanted to like them as they are nicely made and look good, but fit is everything when it comes to shoes.

The boots purpose is dealing with Lakeland rock, both riding and walking.

I have tried the more roadie style mtb boots, like Defrosters but tgey lake the protection I like/want.

macias
    Free Member

Having more or less same dilemma.

Have been using Terraduro for 2.5 years but now the sole is falling apart. It is also definitely not water-proof, although it was just fine for non-all-day rides in mild winters.

Alpineduro looks very nice – but for that money – I am afraid of the sole issues…

How do people find Mavic – stiff or flexy?

How do Vaude compare to Mavic – grippy, comfy?

tomaso
    Free Member

Vaude and Gaerne both have vibram soles and so should be good on rocks.
    For the brief time I’ve tried Mavic Alpines and Crossmax shoes the soles felt grippy, descent for walking in and a good balance with pedalling stiffness. They were just too narrow.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Boot dilema – Vaude, Shimano or Giro’ is closed to new replies.