• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Boosting wifi signal
  • vw48
    Free Member

In the loft room we have a bt home hub hard wired in and get a good 38mps speed. We stream wifi to the tv in the downstairs room to watch netflix etc but only get about 15mps speed.

Bought a Netgear booster which we’ve plugged into a downstairs socket but it doesn’t seem to improve it much if at all.

Any recommendations on what could help? (The router needs to be in the top room due to being the office). Thanks!

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Powerline adapter with built in wifi at one end.

Dickyboy

Got a set of these doing nothing, that you can have for £35 posted if they’d help?

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-flex-500-kit-075597-8W3V.html

Cougar

What’s the Wi-Fi speed in the loft room? I’ve got a similar issue with the poxy Sky router, its Wi-Fi performance is about half the speed of the broadband connection.

We stream wifi to the tv in the downstairs room to watch netflix etc but only get about 15mps speed.

I’d have thought that would be ample for Netflix. What’s the problem?

Powerline adapter with built in wifi at one end.

That would seem the obvious choice, aye.

DrP

I just bought this yesterday (though for £15 mind) as the corner of my son’s room is a wifi dead spot.
    Will see how well it works as was delivered this afternoon….

Might help you??

DrP

vw48
    Free Member

Thanks. We have this on a downstairs socket: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX3700.aspx

but isn’t great when i do a speed test. Netflix is generally ok, its the firestick that buffers now and then.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

If the router is in the loft it may be better to plug the extender into a socket on the first floor so that it is nearer half way between the devices and the router.
    It probably won’t help much though as a wifi range extender has to receive and retransmit each packet and this can half the connection speed even when it is near both ends.

wilburt
    Free Member

Cat5e cable @ 25p per metre and two sockets @ £2 each, only reliable way IME.

Tiger6791

Typo surely you meant Wife?

bearnecessities

Agreed. Every time, I think of this classic: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/improving-wife-signal-in-house

oldnpastit

Cat5e cable @ 25p per metre and two sockets @ £2 each, only reliable way IME.

+1

pealy
    Free Member

wifi range extender has to receive and retransmit each packet and this can half the connection speed even when it is near both ends

Important point this, much better with some CAT5 or Homeplugs physically connected to the router as the source if you can, then plug in a wifi access point.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

WiFi will probably be split between the connected devices. Wired works best.

fasthaggis

Every time, I think of this classic

Indeed Mr bear

I had my ears syringed,it really boosted my WiFe signal. 🙂

DrP

Well, the device I mentioned above arrived..and all I can say is it does what it says on the box!

Plug in near router, press WPS button until lights flash correctly, then plugged into the socket at the front of my son’s room.
    Seems to work perfectly, now, and I even get WIFI all teh way to the front of the front garden.

Dead simple solution that did exactly what I, and probably you, need….

DrP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Boosting wifi signal’ is closed to new replies.