Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Boost question
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

Do boost hubs require a 12mm QR thingy or can you use a regular 5mm skewer? Will it be long enough?

I want to use a boost wheel on my singlespeed which has horizontal dropouts.

SirHC

Boost is 148x12mm, guessing your single speed is 135mm spacing with either a QR or a 10mm quick release.

scotroutes

There is a version of Boost that uses QR. The only folk I know using it are Marin and Alpkit. But it’ll not fit in a 135mm-wide frame.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    greyspoke
    Free Member

Depending on how old school steel your singlespeed is, you could spread the rear apart (oo err missus) to become 148. I have sprung a 120mm road frame apart to 130 in order to fit modern gears, 135 – 148 is only a few mm more. But once I did it, I had to bend the dropouts a bit to get them parallel again, otherwise the rear wheel wouldn’t bolt in straight. A bit of a faff tbh. Then you could fit one of them skewer boost hubs scotroutes mentioned (which I hadn’t heard of before).

Depending on the dimensions, it is possible that hub adapters designed for QRing standard width hubs would have the correct spacing for boost width? And anyhow, if you are bending your frame to fit, a mm or so won’t matter.

Why do you want to do this?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

My wife has a Cannondale Cujo which has a qr rear wheel with 143mm spacing which I suppose is like boost for QR wheels , 135 + 8mm =143 . Wonder what will happen if she needs a new rear wheel ?

greyspoke
    Free Member

I would tentatively say that boost for 10mm QR would be made with an “over lock nut” of 148-7=141, much in the same way as standard width 142×12 is 135+7. The extra 7 being for the recesses in the dropout so it is easier to slot the wheel into the frame accurately before fitting the axle (compared to 135×12 where it floated about until you lined it up well enough to stuff the axle through). As QR axle ends fit into the dropout anyway you don’t need the extra 3.5mm each side.

So actually my post above is wrong, you would only have to spread your rear end by 6mm, which would not be much at all.

scotroutes

Yep. The Marin and Sonder bikes are 141mm.

Edit: So is the Cannondale Cujo

bruceonabike
    Free Member

There is a version of Boost that uses QR. The only folk I know using it are Marin and Alpkit. But it’ll not fit in a 135mm-wide frame.

My SS is a Sherpa, so 145. Dan says boost will fit. I’ll check those two out SR, cheers.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Yep. The Marin and Sonder bikes are 141mm.

Edit: So is the Cannondale Cujo

You are correct , I had a bad arithmetic moment there . 135 + 6 = 141mm .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Boost question’ is closed to new replies.