Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Boost Frames – What Do I Need To Know?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a new frame and it’s a Boost frame. All I know about it is that it has wider rear spacing.

Do I need new wheels? Do I need new cranks? Why on earth do they change these things?

Anyone give me any pointers?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For your wheels just get a Boostinator kit, unless you want an excuse to upgrade wheels. On cranks in theory you need to move your chainring out by 3mm, so if you have a crank with a direct mount chainring this is easily done by getting a new direct mount chainring. I’m not sure what you would need to do with a crank with a combined spider.

Boost is all about being able to fit in fatter tyres.

sillyoldman

Most chainsets’ stock chain lines are too wide anyway (in order to be compatible with every weird shaped frame out there) so often the stock chainline works better with a Boost back end than the Boost specific ones.

chiefgrooveguru

Also you benefit more from having a straighter chain line on the biggest sprockets than the smallest.

scotroutes

wobbliscott – Member
    Boost is all about being able to fit in fatter tyres.build a stiffer wheel

FTFY.

chakaping
    Free Member

And potential for shorter chainstays on 29ers, and stiffer frames.

They better stop dicking around with hub widths and stuff now though.

If there’s another standard taking over in two years I’m gonna sell all my bikes and take up knitting.

metalheart
    Free Member

To answer the OP, your old rear wheel won’t fit, that’s for sure.

You’d need to see if they were convertible. Or get a new wheel/new hub & rebuild.

As stated, not absolutely necessary you need to replace your cranks, it depends on a) width of the frame BB, b) what cranks you’re running (1x, 2x or 3x) and c) how fat you want to run your tyres.

I can tell you that 2x on 142 axle and 3″ B+ tyres will give you tyre rub on the bottom gear at least (more if the tyres are muddy)…. 😳

Where as 1x shouldn’t be a problem.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It all looks like too much hassle!

I think I’ll just stick with the current frame. I just spotted the new one yesterday and thought it might be worth upgrading but if it’s going to mean new wheels and potentially cranks then I think I’ll give it a miss!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Boost is all about being able to fit in fatter tyres.build a stiffer wheel sell more bikes when you have run out of things to improve because bikes are already as good as they can possibly be given the current state of technology

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Boost is all about being able to fit in fatter tyres.build a stiffer wheel sell more bikes when you have run out of things to improve because bikes are already as good as they can possibly be given the current state of technology

I think that just about nails it from what I’ve read so far.
    Sadly it’s worked the other way for me, I can’t justify replacing loads of bits to switch frames so I’l just stick with what I’ve got and keep the money in the bank!

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a new Soul, and I’ve got the choice for the rear between 148 bolt thru or normal 135 QR. Note that the wheels are Hope with the boostinator, so no advantage in stiffer wheels.

I’ve been dilly dalling for 2 days about which one to get. the colour I want is not available in Boost but I don’t want to get a frame which will be obsolete in 2 years. but i dont see the point of 148 if it’s to put wheels with a boostinator ….
    on the other hand when i buy it i’ll probably keep it for years. I’m not on to change bike often.

what would you do ?

ahwiles
    Free Member

what would you do ?

buy the QR Soul, obviously.

I don’t want to get a frame which will be obsolete in 2 years

135mm hubs will be available forever, like Vinyl.

it’s ‘Boost’ that’ll be obsolete in a few years, when ‘Boost2’ will take over.

chakaping
    Free Member

what would you do ?

Do you need to swap wheels with another bike? All FS bikes use 142 or 148mm through axles now.

If not, crack on with the QR version I reckon.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Do you need to swap wheels with another bike? All FS bikes use 142 or 148mm through axles now.

If not, crack on with the QR version I reckon.

Agree. I’m fairly certain this is Cotic’s thinking on the whole thing too.

simonbowns
    Free Member

metalheart
    Free Member

Stanton are developing boost converter rear dropouts for the new gen frames so basically you be able to run 135, 142 or 148. I suspect modular rear ends are the way forwards (or backwards if you’re cynical 😆 ).

It’d be interesting to know what’s selling esp as Cotic have some very limited no. QR frames £100 off atm. I’ve found Cotic to be very demand driven (i.e. If they’re not selling well they’re punted and not restocked. See limited 26″ BFe but no 26″ Soul. A couple of misty eyed geezers on a forum doesn’t often translate into enough to see a production run). That said quantities of QR frames not enough to read anything into and likely to be just coz they’re yellow 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Scotroutes – you’re right of course, and if you’re breaking 29 inch non-boost wheels regularly then boost will certainly help – as will a boostinator as it improves the drive side spoke angles so will result in a slightly stronger wheel than a non boost wheel.

Personally apart from busting the odd spoke – usually when i’ve done something horribly wrong or stupid, i’ve not had a huge problem breaking 29 inch wheels so no point going to boost just for a stronger wheel build for me. I certainly don’t want plus sized tyres – i’ve ridden them and didn’t like them. I’ve just replaced my wheels knowing i’ll probably get a new frame next year, which will be boost, but i’ll just fit a boostinator at that time and get a new direct mount chainring.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Boost Frames – What Do I Need To Know?’ is closed to new replies.