Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Boost axle standard and axle compatibility
  • nixie

Suspect this is going to be to in depth however I’ve a genesis longitude fitted with a 15mm boost rigid fork. I’m not keen on the design of the axle and this morning when trying to remove the front wheel it appears to have broken. I’m obviously talking to the retailer about fixing it however given that I’m not that keen on the axle I’ve been wondering it there are any alternatives. I have seen that there are a lot of after market axles made to fit 15mm systems in fox/rockshock/dtswiss forks. I’ve also seen a 15mm boost 110mm pike axle appear on the market (SRAM spare part) and dtswiss do an RWS to fit the RS-1 fork.

So;

[list]
    [*]Does anyone know if the boost axle standard defines a thread for the receiving (non disc side)[/*]
    [*]Has anyone tried an alternative axle in a genesis rigid fork?[/*]
    [/list]

nixie

hmm thought that might be a question with few answers. Guess its down to experimentation then!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the threads are all the same for each manufacturer, however they may differ between brands.

But saying that if DT Swiss do a screw up axle for a RS1, then they might just be the same.

You wouldn’t think the bike industry would be “that daft”, but you never know.

nixie

I was hoping it would be that simple. When I work out how to get the broken axle out I’m going to try the axle from my zocchis to see if they thread in. I have seem what look like 2 different thickness of thread section in pictures.

I think one stumbling block might me the thickness of the dropouts. I don’t think the rigid fork one are as wide as a sus forks, though this could just mean a 100mm sus axle will work in a 110mm rigid fork.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Or just bung some washers on the windy handle side for that fully ghetto approach

nixie

😀

scotroutes

There are at least two thread “standards”. Boost does not specify which should be used.

nixie

Ok, thanks. I’m getting a new genuine axle but looking at the broken one tonight the design seems a little shonkey so will be looking at alternative options, if I ever get the rest of it out that is!

nixie

To close this out in case anyone need the info in the future. The thread in the insert is the same as my Marzocchi 15mm axle (non boost), which means it should be the same as a Maxle or DTSwiss RWS (Fox is smaller). The lengths are different, due to the rigid drop outs not being as wide as those in a suspension fork. I think it would need about 1cm of washers, or the alternative axle turning down to suit. If I bust the second axle I’ll probably buy a DTSwiss RWS axle and shorten it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Boost axle standard and axle compatibility’ is closed to new replies.