Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Boooooooooooooo new frame but forgot to get them to face the BB and Headset!
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Damn need the headtube and BB facing on my new frame and it’s over a week before i can get it booked in!

Weekend ruined because im useless!

scaredypants

how far out from true are they ?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

When did we start having to finish the frame production ourselves before we could build a frame up?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

no idea to be honest, there is paint on the headtube and bb edge but none in the threads.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d just build it TBH

ahwiles
    Free Member

…Weekend ruined because im the shop is useless!

if it needs doing, they should have done it. for free. and given you a cup of tea while you waited.

y’know, customer service; the difference between a real shop, and the internet.

Dancake
    Free Member

When did we start having to finish the frame production ourselves before we could build a frame up?

I like to do an extra bit of welding too, just to be sure

Stuey01
    Free Member

Just scrub the paint overspray off then build it.

flow
    Free Member

What frame is it?

highclimber
    Free Member

I heard facing and chasing was the preserve of weight weenies who are concerned about having to replace prematurely worn bearings?

I never faced my BB or HS and I have the original bearings in both over 12 months later and I also hear that’s pretty good going for a BB!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert. This isn’t a rant at the retailler by the way.

I never asked for it faced.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What stuey said.

Dancake
    Free Member

Sink a few cans then build it.

Use a massive hammer for the headset
    Make sure you cross-thread the BB

flow
    Free Member

Thats shite, should come ready to build from the factory.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Dancake i already have the first Corona opened and hammer in hand!

higgo
    Free Member

Build it.
    Facing is bike shop con #458. Otherwise known as ‘free profit’.

should come ready to build from the factory.

It did.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

My prince Albert wasn’t faced or chased,bearings were fine

bangaio
    Free Member

Build it, ride it. Facing is just one big con. Never had it done. Never had any bearing problems. Headset facing is hillarious!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Looking closer there is some paint in the right side BB thread.

I’ll grease it up and give it a go.

toys19
    Free Member

Build it.
    Facing is bike shop con #458. Otherwise known as ‘free profit’.

MidlandTrailquestsGraham
    It did.

It hardly needs saying that higgo and mtq are correct. This has been done to death and anyone with an ounce of sense knwos its a load of crap. Find me anywhere on a shimano intallation instruction sheet that says facing is required.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

When we were kids, our BMX’s never needed “facing”.

I bet most bikes rolling off a production line in taiwan or whereever don’t get “faced” before build.

I’d put it together, and then worry if it’s not right.

Del

if tubes deformed as much as some seem to think due to welding, welding would be a 5hite process avoided at all costs.

donsimon
    Free Member

Built up several frames from new and not had one faced yet, neither have I had problems. I would imagine being hamfisted might cause problems but that’s not the frame builders’ fault.

walleater

I put a Dura Ace BB (which technically shouldn’t work….) into my unfaced 853 Prince Albert in 2007. It was still fine three years later. In fact I’ve just put it in a DMR frame I picked up super cheap. Just build the bloody thing!

oxnop
    Free Member

over the last few years I’ve built up a few bikes (6) including a PA for my GF. I’ve never had the head tube or BB shell faced and all have been fine. Touch wood.

ruscle
    Free Member

As they have all said, just build it and stop mincing about.

iain1775
    Free Member

I can’t believe all you guys are so willing to send the poor lad pedling off to an almost certain grizzly death
    How will you feel when his forks snap and cranks fall off when he is hurling down some gnarly rocky chute, sending him headfirst to his grave, via a tree and a cliff edge. All because you told him not to bother getting the frame faced
    I’ve read some bad advice on here before but this takes the biscuit, I honestly cant believe there is so many people willing to write someone out a death sentence. Your sick, all of you

rOcKeTdOg

Never have BB faced and usually fit headset with a soft hammer and a plank, never had problems with either, just get it built

maccruiskeen

You nicked that ‘soft hammer’ didn’t you – well the original owner is pretty peeved and whats it back

EDIT Actually he’s changed his mind, you can keep it.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well mincing over BB is on, went in fine mostly by hand. To be honest the paint near the bb was so thin and as flat as could be.

Just seen a brilliant way of setting a headset using a dumbbell bar.
    Hmmmm

Not got a rubber mallet or wood, or the ability to hit anything straight ha

rOcKeTdOg

soft=nylon

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Boooooooooooooo new frame but forgot to get them to face the BB and Headset!’ is closed to new replies.