Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • BOOM! Hmmm. That’s gonna need a big patch…
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hybrid tyre explosion drama in the Feet residence.

Had patched the tube and it had been back in tyre & inflated for about 10 mins before creating a small pressure wave as 100psi escaped in one hell of a rush. Made the doorbell chimes ring as well 😆

Guess I was a bit careless putting the tube in!

gingerflash

Isn’t 100psi rather a lot for a hybrid tube/tyre?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

No, It’s a 700 x 28c tyre & it’s rated to 100psi & I usually run it at that.

However, in this instance, I have to agree that is was too much!

gingerflash

That’s only happened to me once, front tyre, going downhill on a very fast farm track. I somehow stayed upright and just went off the trail into a field and managed to stop without injury. bloody scary though.

brakes
    Free Member

is it an old tube?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Tube probably about a year old. It’s blown at a point where the rubber seems to be quite a bit thinner.

Most exciting thing to happen here all day!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had it once when inflating a mountain bike tyre, I was just wondering what that odd noise was as the bead started to creep off the rim. Just as I twigged and wondered what to do, BANG! The ringing in my ears lasted ages and I’ll I can remember seeing was my inner tube expand to the most bizzare size and then disappear!

gingerflash

Onza – That happened to one of our friends in the middle of the night, during a 24 hour race. She’d already had 2 flats on the same lap and seeing her tube growing and then exploding totally freaked her out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That would be really freaky when you’re sleep deprived!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I remember getting back from a ride once and leaning the bike up in the garden. I spotted a black slug on the tyre, and flicked it off with my finger as you do. The resulting explosion told me either that some invertebrates carry small packets of C4, or flicking a tube expanding through a sidewall split is a bad idea 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Usually happens when the tube gets trapped between the tyre & rim, inflating & not spotting it & one big bang later you see what happens (done it several times when I’m in a rush)

will
    Free Member

Happened to me when doing a roadie tyre. Was horriable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘BOOM! Hmmm. That’s gonna need a big patch…’ is closed to new replies.