Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Books that would make great TV
  • Harry_the_Spider

bigblackshed

The Jack Caffrey series by Mo Hayder. Crime thrillers but with VERY taboo subject matter. If it was made it would be 18+ or very late night, after the watershed’s watershed. Although the last book was quite tame compared to the earlier ones.

IHN

The Weirdstone of Brasingaman would make a great Boxing Day evening special type thing.

Riksbar

Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle, big budget though.

samunkim
    Free Member

Amber Fox series by Sibel Hodge

https://www.goodreads.com/series/66610-amber-fox

chvck
    Free Member

World War Z. 1 season, episode per chapter or similar. NOTHING like the film.

akira

Phone book, big cast though.

ton

lord of the rings…….eerr

slowoldman

Edward Whymper’s Scrambles Amongst the Alps.

moose
    Free Member

James McGee’s Hawkwood series.

mikey74
    Free Member

American Gods by Neil Gaiman would make a good TV series. There was talk of it at one point but I’m not sure what happened to it.

bearnecessities

Brilliantly referred to by someone the other day as STW = Same Ten Wan*ers, would go nuts for a serialiation of this:

honeybadgerx

Some of the Peter f Hamilton sci fi stuff might be good, not overly complex so would maybe suit TV, plus a little different from other things out there.

Gunz
    Free Member

Last book I read that I thought would film well was The Martian, looking forward to see how the film turns out.

CountZero

From Wiki: “American Gods is an upcoming television series created by Bryan Fuller and Michael Green for the Starz Network, based on the novel of the same name by author Neil Gaiman. Fuller and Green will script the pilot episode and serve as showrunners. Gaiman will executive produce along with Fuller, Green, Craig Cegielski, Stefanie Berk and Thom Beers.[1]”

CountZero

Kate Griffin’s Matthew Swift urban magic books. Good characters, all set in London, very gritty and dark, but with humour.
    The first book, A Madness of Angels has been optioned, but not sure if for TV or cinema.

steveoath
    Free Member

The Modesty Blaise series of books/short stories. Nothing like the film!!

boxelder

Little Green Man by Simon Armitage – even has a bike with funny size wheels on the cover

colournoise

Would love to see Neuromancer get to the screen. TV series might well be better than trying to condense it into one film (or stretch it out to 2 or 3 – Peter Jackson, I’m looking at you…).

TheFlyingOx

Not sure if it would be better as a film or serialised for TV, but it’s still my favourite ever book, 10 years after first reading it.

mrhoppy

The Passage by Justin Cronin although it’s bad enough reading it. I’m not sure I’d be able to night ride again if d watched it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Would be nice to see another go at Hitchhikers Guide series. I know there’s the excellent radio series and the somewhat short old TV series, and the meh film, but would be nice to give it a proper go.

Still waiting to see The War of the Worlds done properly with a British Victorian setting. Hollywood has only been interested in Americanising it for film and doubt a British funded film could get off the ground, but maybe a series could.

Another thought is the Wheel of Time series of books. Though I think it may be a struggle to keep it interesting after the first few books just like the books are a struggle 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

“Un Lun Dun” by China Mieville

Could make a great series done properly.

Currently reading the “Scarlet Gospels” by Clive Barker. A TV series would be interesting…

jon1973
    Free Member

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham

perchypanther
    Free Member

Game of thr…..never mind. Too late 😳

IdleJon

Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle, big budget though.

They’d need to make decent books out of it first. The biggest disappointment I’ve come across in the last few years, but great if you like endless, pointless descriptions of irrelevant objects. 200 pages in, nothing has happened, 300 pages, 400 pages… oh hold on, the hero’s father got blown up by Charles II about an eternity ago but it was described in one paragraph and buried in 50 pages describing the colour of the Thames. I didn’t make it the full 900 pages because reviews say that, very simply, nothing happens. The reviews suggest that book 2 (900ish pages) is the same but some plot might creep in during book 3. 😆

nickc

I bow to no one in my love for Iain Banks, but I’ve yet to see a decent adaptation of any of his novels, for that reason; I’m oot

Northwind

Jeff Noon, Vurt (film)
    Iain Banks’s Consider Phlebeas and Against A Dark Background (TV)
    Ken Macleod’s Star Fraction (TV)
    Christopher Brookmyre, A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away (film)

busydog
    Free Member

“The Dark Tower” series by Stephen King. I heard there were plans underway, but haven’t seen anything further.

Edit: I actually think it was a movie planned vs a TV series/show

Cletus

Bernard Cornwell’s Authurian trilogy would be good.

I would say GMF’s Flashman series but if done badly I would be so p*ssed off – happier with my own imagination here tbh

somafunk

Lanark by Alasdair Gray (only if done justice to the book)

Northwind

Coyote – Member

“Un Lun Dun” by China Mieville

Could make a great series done properly.

Near miss but the BBC are making a series of The City and the City

metalheart
    Free Member

I’d have to +1 American Gods, as long as they did it properly, maybe get Joss Whedon on it.

I wonder if anyone could tackle Gravity’s Rainbow?

I’d also love to see Neil Gunn’s Young Art and Old Hector/ The Great Isle of the Great Deep given a modern Powell/Pressburger style treatment….

BillMC

William Burroughs’ ‘Junkie’

Muke
    Free Member

mikey74
    Free Member

The Passage by Justin Cronin although it’s bad enough reading it. I’m not sure I’d be able to night ride again if d watched it.

Thats a possibility, although it could fall into the same trap as The Walking Dead, meaning it could become quite same, quite quickly.

The first book is excellent, whereas the second, The Twelve, was very disappointing IMO, and perhaps shows the pitfalls of dragging the story out too long.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I understand Bernard Cornwell’s ‘Warlord’ series has been commissioned for serialisation by HBC/BBC but not sure if its finished yet. I tea it was pitched as being like GoT but real..

willard

Ooooh! A Star Fraction TV series? That’s a really good call.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Books that would make great TV’ is closed to new replies.