Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Booking business travel when self employed – any tips?
  • johnhe

I’ve just moved from the corporate world to working for a much smaller company. I will be travelling to the Middle East and Africa a couple of times per month from now on and I’m expected to organise my own travel. In my previous company, we had major travel providers who assisted in booking flights etc – companies like BCD and Concur. However, as far as I can tell, those companies are not set up to cater for small businesses like us (I’m the only European employee).

So, do most people just use Skyscanner and then book with the airline? I’m finding it difficult to book a multi trip. Like Dublin to Dubai to Hong Kong, to Shanghai to Dubai to Dublin. Most airline websites cater for simple out and back from the same destination.

Any tips?

globalti
    Free Member

I work in a small export department, only three of us and we use an external travel agent for the sheer time saving, ease, convenience and their expertise. Travel agents have a parallel line of access to information and resources that Joe Public just can’t get and they can secure deals we never see, especially if they are close to one or two of the airline reps. They can also deal with visas through a contact in London.

Over the years though we have found that as business travel agents grow and merge you become less important to them and you tend to get taken for granted. We recently sacked a firm in Bolton for this reason and at the moment we are using a small independent firm in Rawtenstall, just down the road from Ride On Cycles and STW Towers, called Colletts Travel. They are very good and very efficient. You can deal by phone and email; I’ve never met them although the sales manager has been here once or twice.

br
    Free Member

Find a local travel agent with experience.

Many years ago I used one in Leeds for all my travel, including visas and cash etc – they were happy to invoice whoever.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Over in Oz yet as a company of 3 we use the business side of flight centre, we get stuff I can’t find.

cp

flight centre, trailfinders etc.. give them a call, let them know your requirements. Leave them to it and they’ll phone you back with prices.

like the good old days 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Find a local travel agent with experience.

^^THIS!^^

Or, if you’re able to stick to an airline, some of them do of kings for everything . I used BA to book hotels and flights during the interview process with my current employer. Very efficient.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Phone?
    We just did profiles, they know where I am with airline and hotel loyalty etc. Flight preferences and a few other things. Just a quick mail and 2 or 3 options come back

allthegear
    Free Member

I just jump on the (company) motorbike and book accommodation along the way via booking.com. Just got back from Spain day before yesterday. Far better than flying 😀

Stop for a coffee?

Meetings this year have included Milan, Balatonalmadi (Hungary), somewhere near Valencia (Spain) and Manchester.

Rachel

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bookings, not of kings. Obviously.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Booking business travel when self employed – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.