• This topic has 50 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Book recommendations please – apocalypse based
  • arrpee
    Free Member

David Mitchell’s (not that one) THe Bone Clocks has a brilliant post-oil world bit in it at the end – takes a while to get there but worth it.

+1

The earlier part of the book is kind of patchy – great in places, weirdly cheesy in others, but it’s worth persevering for the last part.

It’s a scarily plausible depiction of a slow slide into third world conditions set in the Republic of Ireland. Basically, a perfect storm of climate change, fossil fuels running out, and the centre of world power migrating elsewhere (China in this instance).

Echoing the comments above, James Herbert’s ‘Domain’ (3rd in The Rats Trilogy, I think) is set in a post nuclear war London. I haven’t re-read it as an adult, but the opening depiction of the nuclear attack (and subsequent depictions of the aftermath) really stick in the mind.

chomp
    Free Member

E.E. Knights Vampire Earth series of books are worth a read – not really vampirey in the traditional sense (as the titular vampires are aliens who feed on the life force of humans and plunged the world into a post apocalyptic state).

They’re also available in Audio Book form from Graphic Audio, and have all the sound effects etc which make them quite a good listen

rjmccann101

Slightly different but a favourite of mine is Dinner at Devient’s Palace by Tim Powers.

CountZero

Damnation Alley, by Roger Zelazny – made into a really shonky film that bears no resemblance to the book; the hero is the last of the Hell’s Angels, didn’t sit well with the Hollywood of the time…
    The Drowned World, by J G Ballard
    Lucifer’s Hammer, by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
    The Windup Girl, by Paolo Bacigalupi
    A World Out Of Time, by Larry Niven – not exactly an apocalypse story, but close.

tryfan
    Free Member

Earth Abides is good, currently reading On The Beach. Have a look at Trinity’s Child, not exactly post apoclapyse, more during but a very good read, a favourite of mine

legalalien
    Free Member

Just remembered about the Greg Mandel series from Peter F Hamilton. Not post apocalyptic, more dystopian future. Really stood out for me after cycling around Rutland water and staying at a hotel there and reading his book with Greg living in the holiday homes there and having orange groves around there due to global warming.

puppypower
    Free Member

Lionel Shriver The Mandibles is good. Sort of economic meltdown apocalypse.

Also Margaret Atwood – Oryx and Crake and sequels. Plus the Handmaid’s tale.

globalti
    Free Member

Incredible that nobody has mentioned The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham, written in 1951 and one of the original post-apocalyptic novels, which has been made into at least one film. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids

Another of his, which I love and have re-read a few times is The Chrysalids, Wiki says some regard it as Wyndham’s best novel and I would agree. It’s about a new emerging world after nuclear apocalypse and the efforts of the new society to eradicate genetic impurities caused by radiation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chrysalids

davidjey
    Free Member

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. A slow burner.

lukeekulluke
    Free Member

The Wool trilogy is great
    Nod by Adrian Barnes is also really good and a nice short read
    Oryx and Crake series
    Gotta agree with globalti too, there’s lots of older classics, John Wyndham especially “The day of the triffids”
    Not quite apocalyptic, but dystopic alternate realities, China Mievelle writes some really intersting books, “The city and the city” being one of the more dystopic.

DezB
    Free Member

More a vision of Hell than the Apocalypse, but everything he writes is brilliant –
    Damned by Chuck Palahniuk
    Link: http://amzn.eu/5t3pQ8L

For impending apocalypse
    Joy, Pa by Steven Sherrill
    Link: http://amzn.eu/4eBZkxt

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Book recommendations please – apocalypse based’ is closed to new replies.