• This topic has 50 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Book recommendations please – apocalypse based
  • richardkennerley

I like a good apocalypse book, I’ve read plenty of zombie stuff, The Passage, currently on so Stephen kings “The Stand” which is great.

I’m after my next read, but I don’t really want zombie or horror, just “everything falls apart and the aftermath,” if that makes sense, rather than monsters and violence. Any ideas?

jimjam
    Free Member

The Road.

SaxonRider

I like a good apocalypse book

My current research? I’ll let the publisher know we have a pre-sale. 😉

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

+1 for The Road

rjmccann101

Lucifer’s Hammer by Pournelle and Niven or The Forge of God by Greg Bear.

akira

Insert joke about USA here.

zilog6128

I really enjoyed The Postman (very different to the film, obvs)

richardkennerley

I’ve never got round to reading or watching the road, don’t know why. Gonna put all these suggestions so far in my reading list, excellent stuff 😀

DezB
    Free Member

“Heart of Darkness” Joseph Conrad. Apocalypse? now.

rjmccann101

Another one is Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm. Also try the SF Encyclopedia entry here http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/post-holocaust

Mind you if you read all of these in a row it might be a bit bleak. I’d suggest some Pratchett or PG Wodehouse in between.

epicyclo

The Girl with All the Parts.

Zombie, but different.

rjmccann101

The girl with all the parts

Might be Girl with all the Gifts, I think most of them come with all the parts…..

fadda

From someone else’s recommendation on here – Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson

trailhound101

Station Eleven by Emily StJohn Mandel. Post bio-apocolpyse journey in search of new beginnings – quirky and edgy a bit violent in places but not as depressing, outright violent or macabre as The Road.

stevious

David Mitchell’s (not that one) THe Bone Clocks has a brilliant post-oil world bit in it at the end – takes a while to get there but worth it.

survivor

Swan Song

kimbers

The Road is great, really hard in places
    his border trilogy are also quite nihlistic

the early ballard stuff, the drought, drowned world, high rise

I am legend

Y The last man, graphic novel series is billiant

badnewz
    Free Member

Revelation.

funkmasterp

The Wool trilogy is worth a read. The end of the world running club isn’t bad either. They’re not classics, but good.

bodgy
    Free Member
    mikey74
    Free Member

Swan Song by Robert MacCammon.
    I Am Legend
    The Road

YoKaiser
    Free Member

John Birmingham, Disappearance series. Just finished the three books in the series. Not a literary great but quiet engaging and interesting premise(I read the three back to back). Kind of Clancyesque. Based around America being wiped out and the out fall afterwards.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dies the Fire by SM Stirling.

Wookster

Going home by A. American is a good series, in a enjoyable brain in stand by mode way! Or the Arisen series if you fancy a Zombie apocalypse read!

funkmasterp

Herbert’s Rats trilogy heads in to Apocalypse territory

Garry_Lager

The Dying Earth series by Jack Vance is sort of in this area. A stone classic – beautifully written, very light touch and funny stories, but against a sad, elegiac backdrop.

GRRM’s first novel is another suggestion – The dying of the light. Excellent first novel and interesting to read given his later transformation into parttime author of behemoth blockbusters. Not really in the same league as some of the other suggestions upthread, but a good one to pick up if you see it in a second hand bookshop or something.

takisawa2

If your enjoying The Passage your in for a heck of a treat with The Twelve & City of Mirrors. Justin Kronin is simply brilliant.

Watch for those Virals. 😉

Look up “A Scientific Romance” by Ronald Wright.
    It’s set 500 years from now, in a world decimated by BSE. (It was written in the 90’s, when BSE was all the rage…).

legalalien
    Free Member

Can’t really help the OP more than the current suggestions, but wanted to add a big +1 for the Arisen series by Michael Stephen Fuchs. Incredible value for lengthy series of books with a great story arc and good character development. D-Boys is also excellent.

While looking for more zombie/apocalyptic fiction, I stumbled across the ‘Joe Ledger’ series by Jonathan Maberry. Absolutely brilliant and worth a shot if you like the Arisen and D-Boys series.

Recently read the ‘Remaining’ series by DJ Molles. Not up the the standard of the two I just mentioned, but a decent distraction.

stevego
    Free Member

Mira Grants stuff is quite readable, the Newsflash series and the Parasite series, one is zombies and other might as well be though.

batfink
    Free Member

I know it;s technically a zombie book, but World War Z is excellent (the film is gash, obvs).

It goes into lots of detail about the process of rebuilding and the everyday challenges of living in a post apocalyptic society etc.

Also, another vote for I am legend. The film was appalling, but the book is excellent.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

2nd what he said ^ about World war Z, for those reasons

mikey74
    Free Member

Just thought of another: A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller.

A superb story about the abandonment of science following a nuclear war, although that description doesn’t really tell the whole story.

IHN

The News

finishthat
    Free Member

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Dated – but all the better for it , one of the first.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Station Eleven is brilliant. A slightly different perspective than the desperation of many post-apocolytic stories, and really good use of flashbacks.

beanum

Another vote for Station Eleven…

I’d avoid Cell by Stephen King as it was too similar to the Stand..

Has anyone read On the Beach by Nevil Shute? That’s supposed to be pretty good..

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for the Wool trilogy, I really enjoyed it. “Sand” by the same author is worth a read too. Also “End of the World Running Club”. Bit different but very good.

Not post apocalyptic as such but distopian nonetheless but “Red Rising” is shaping up to be rather good.

mark_h4dng
    Free Member

Z for Zachariah
    48 by James Herbert

scud
    Free Member

Daily Mail? If you believe that every cold snap is going to be “snowmageddon” and their usual level of story.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Daemon – Daniel Suarez

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Book recommendations please – apocalypse based’ is closed to new replies.