Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Book recommendation – after Shantaram
  • craig24
    Free Member

After reading Shantaram (recommendation from here), does any have any recommendations on something similar to read next? Also just finished Papillon, while brilliant I didn’t enjoy it as much as Shantaram.

I’ve seen that GDR now has a second book out, seems to get some poor reviews though.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

What do you mean by similar? Shantaram covers a lot of things. I guess the main theme is a stranger in a strange land who happens into a pretty exciting way of life?

I’d recommend Life of Pi. Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for. But it uses India as a backdrop to flesh out the character, and is about a person having an adventure.

craig24
    Free Member

I suppose some sort of travel / foreign land adventure story. Something based on fact or actual fact but reads more like fiction. Possibly a book with some crime / on the run element.

Something to fill the gap after such a great read.

ElVino

Mr Nice – Howard Marks bio is a good read

failedengineer

Try ‘These are the days that must happen to you’ by Dan Walsh, the motorbike journalist. It’s the exact opposite of Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman …

craig24
    Free Member

I’ve already read Mr Nice, but I agree its a great read!

‘These are the days that must happen to you’ – I think I’ll purchase that, cheers!

ElVino

It’s the exact opposite of Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman …

best endorsement I have ever heard

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Book recommendation – after Shantaram’ is closed to new replies.