Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Book or author recommendations for an 8 year old
  • karnali
    Free Member

Son likes to read and looking for recommendations on good age appropriate books. He’s read some harry potter the hobbit and is going to try lird of the rings just looking for some other good books.

Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My 8 year old girl has an unquenchable appetite for the Potter books, just keeps reading the whole lot them starting again. Nutter.
    Anyway, I did once talk her into trying some other things, the how to train your dragon books went down well, as did the lari don books.

fatmax

My 8 year old lad is reading the Percy Jackson (?) books at the moment, and for his 9th birthday part of his pressie are the two Alastair Humphreys kids books…’the boy who biked the world’ or something like that. Reckon he’ll really enjoy them.

duncancallum

Terry Pratchet: truckers, diggers and wings trilogy. Johhny and the dead.

Rohld Dahl?

CountZero

Alan Garner: The Weirdstone of Brisingamen/The Moon Of Gomrath/Elidor/The Owl Service/Red Shift
    Catherine Webb: Mirror Dreams/Mirror Wakes/Waywalkers/Timekeepers/The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle/The Obsidian Dagger: Being the Further Extraordinary Adventures of Horatio Lyle/The Doomsday Machine: Another Astounding Adventure of Horatio Lyle/The Dream Thief: An Extraordinary Horatio Lyle Mystery
    All written for young adults, all still highly readable and enjoyable for adults.
    Then there’s all of the Arthur Ransome books, starting with Swallows and Amazons which no child’s library should be without.
    Or adults, for that matter; I’ve got most of Ransome’s books as hardcovers, and as ebooks.

bonchance
    Free Member

eagle of the 9th
    swallows and amazons +1

2tyred

Tyred Jr’s the elder’s 10 now, been a big Potter fan since he’s been let loose on them – he gets one a year so he doesn’t just rip through the lot – but since he was 8 he’s really enjoyed the Lemony Snicket books (Series of Unfortunate Events), Sherlock Holmes (and a few other things by Arthur Conan Doyle, timeless stuff), the Philip Pullman Dark Materials trilogy, Wildwood, the Wolves of Willoughby Chase and a few things like that.

The Lemony Snicket stuff’s great – atmospheric, darkly funny and nicely restrained, really well written.

fasthaggis

Noticed that Holes was on TV tonight,my two enjoyed the book when they were young.
    Michael Morpurgo.

colp

Skullduggery Pleasant series.

loddrik
    Free Member

Mr Gum.

Get the box set. You’ll be glad you did. Funniest kids books I’ve read. Brilliant.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Book or author recommendations for an 8 year old’ is closed to new replies.