Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Book for hols…
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a Kindle book?

Sample of fave books:

Blood Meridian
    American Gods
    Good Omens
    The Road
    Lord of the Rings
    The Hobbit
    No Country for Old Men
    Child of God
    House of Leaves
    Swan song

I guess non-gore horror, dark fantasy and apocalyptic tales, but strangely uplifting kind of sums it up :mrgreen:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

apocalyptic tales, but strangely uplifting

Jasper Fforde. “Shade of Grey”

butcher

I guess non-gore horror, dark fantasy and apocalyptic tales

The Stone Man is quite a good read. Ticks all of these boxes.

In terms of fantasy, one that I really got into years ago was The Abarat. It’s massive though, and spans several books. Bit more than holiday reading.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

It’s not non-gore horror, dark fantasy and has no apocalyptic tales, but Bill Bryson’s new one – The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes from a Small Island – is definitely strangely uplifting.

gallowayboy

Try The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson; draws you in to a bizarre personal disintegration, but is oddly uplifting. Its about the right length for a weeks holiday.

BoardinBob

non-gore horror, dark fantasy and apocalyptic tales

Garry_Lager

defo China Mieville’s perdido street station going by that list, if you’ve not read it already.

As I lay dying if you fancy something more literary.

gordimhor

Stone Junction by Jim Dodge a rambling psychedelic gothic vision of America. The great American novel as written by Alan Warner and Hunter Thompson

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Brave New World – Aldous Huxley

mikey74
    Free Member

The Stone Man sounds interesting.

pondo

+1s for Jasper Fforde and his Bill Brysoness – Fforde is fantastic, brain-rending lighthearted genius, and I don’t think I’ve ever read a Bryson that hasn’t made me laugh out loud.

mattyfez

I’ve got ‘I am pilgrim’ to read and quite looking forward to it. Not the genre you want I don’t think, and it’s not really mine.. But i thought I’d chime in anyway 🙂

CountZero

Most of China Mieville’s are worth reading, Unlundon and The City & The City are both very interesting.
    Claire North’s The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August and Touch are both very good spins on older concepts, while Kate Griffin’s Matthew Swift Urban Magic series starting with A Madness Of Angels is very gritty, a whole new take on magic, where ASBO’s are used as spells against creatures masquerading as hoodies, our ‘hero’, Swift, is inhabited by the Blue Electric Angels, creatures that live in the telecommunications networks, are the ghost voices in the telephone lines.
    There are six books altogether in the series.
    One of my all-time favourite books has recently turned up on Kindle and iBooks; Tanith Lee’s When The Lights Go Out, read it as a library book when it came out in 1996, bought it straight away and read it countless times, managed to find a flawless hardcover copy in Canada recently, to my unbridled joy, and got the iBooks version as well!
    It’s about life, love hate and true sacrifice in a slightly down-at-heel seaside town at the end of the season, and when the lights go out, it’s dark.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Joe Abercrombie , First Law Trilogy.

jimdubleyou

End of the World Running Club, Andrew J Walker

Similar to The Stone Man in tone.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thank you all for the input. I’ve gone with the Stone Man but they are all good options for future reads.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Book for hols…’ is closed to new replies.