Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Book about sleep
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

A few months ago the author of a book about sleep was interviewed on Radio 2. Chris Evans? Simon Mayo?
    It registered with me as I think it was mentioned that he had worked with a cycling team, probably Sky.
    Now, does anyone know the name of the book and the author? Was it The book of sleep by Guy Meadows?

RobHilton
    Free Member

😆

You could also search for stuff about sleep hygiene unless there was something specific about that book.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ta. Didn’t think about that search. 😆
    And I was browsing here.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Is not nick littlehales that’s done the work with team sky etc?

He has a book and website. Sports sleep coach

DezB
    Free Member

Rather than “The Book of Sleep”, it’s called “The Sleep Book”. I’ve got a copy I can send you? (PoP (price of postage)). Pretty good, but like any self help book, I’ve never made it to the end!

somafunk

Could’ve been this one?, may be a bit sweary for delicate snowflakes

[video]https://youtu.be/Udj-o2m39NA[/video]

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sleep, by Nick Littlehales.

I asked for it for Christmas, and got it, after hearing something about it on the back of presumably the same round of media appearances.

It’s pretty interesting, but it didn’t stop me falling asleep in the middle of reading it. Maybe I was reading between the lines.

Gist of it is, 8 hours is an urban myth, you need multiples of 90 minutes, 35 of them over the course of a week, including naps, or “controlled rest periods”. So you can have fewer hours’ sleep per night and more naps, if that works better for you.

A fair bit of common sense in it. Detox your bedroom, no devices with their unhelpful blue light 90 mins before bedtime, clean bedlinen, room not too warm, lie on your side, cut down your caffeine intake.

The stuff about the work he does with top athletes is fascinating.
    e.g. Chris Hoy or Team Sky might be staying in a five star hotel room with plush goosedown beds up the wazoo, but they kip on the floor on a bespoke “sleep kit”, a sort of mattress topper thing.

fin25
    Free Member

TL;D..Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Pretty sure the guy on R2 was Dr Tim Cantopher – “Beating Insomnia”.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

.. on Jeremy Vine show in April.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Book about sleep’ is closed to new replies.