Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bonty XR2 or Kenda SB8 DTC?
  • Kryton57

Any experience of these – which of this for day-long dry to moist epics, low rolling resistance and good sidewall protection?

Tubeless is required.

amedias
    Free Member

XR2 is a nice rear tyre if the ground conditions suit it, its very fast rolling as there is a nice almost continuous central bit, and it’s quite voluminous for it’s size, wouldn’t say the side walls are tough though, I’ve put a couple of holes in mine (while running tubeless).

I tried one on the front once, never again! lethal in anything even remotely moist, and that’s coming from someone who often runs Larsens as a front tyre…

No experience of the SB8 to offer I’m afraid.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had the SB8 on a couple of summers ago (I think the DTC ones). Went up fine with Stans jizz on a Crest rim. If you’ve got dry and dusty trails then they’re great, and surprisingly good over rocky rooty stuff when it gets a bit moist too. They do lack a bit of bite when lent over but I guess that’s not a surprise. Now tend to run Ralphs when it’s those sort of conditions. No experience of the Bonty ones here.

Northwind

SB8 is a great dry tyre but not sure it fits for you… Kenda’s Slant 6 might make more sense? It’s barely slower, not as good in dust/very loose small stuff but much better in mud as it doesn’t clog. Sidewalls are exposed due to the lack of sideknobs but they’re not delicate- I’ve put some decent gouges in mine but never a problem. Oh and standard one tubelesses well but there might be a TLR version now (Kenda UST isn’t very good IME)

Racing Ralph’s always a good option tbh.

Nobby

My experience of the SB8s lasted 1 ride – just didn’t get on with ’em.

Not tried the Bontys.

You already know the correct tyre of choice, why are you resisting……………. 😉

Kryton57

Nobby – Member

You already know the correct tyre of choice, why are you resisting…………….

Money – £62 for one ride? I’m trying to find a cheaper tough walled low rolling tubeless resistant tyre for the rear. I’ve got a Raplh but not TLR and with the thin sidewall.

I’m thinking my Bonty XR4’s will be ok and will add cushioning also, after all its about distance not speed and they are as fast rolling as Nics… … but not as fast as Rons I’ll give you that….

Maybe I should just risk a standard Nic / Ralph ghetto tubeless….

mrblobby
    Free Member

May be some cheaper Ralphs to be found at on-one.

Nobby

One ride? Once they’re on I reckon they’ll stay on..

senorj

I have the slant six on two of my bikes.
    My new, fave, all round speedy tyre, with a bit of bite .
    Rolls fast& grips.
    Like a crossmark but made by kenda. 😀

takisawa2

SB8 are VERY fast rolling but thats one of their weaknesses…you arrive at an off-camber, slightly loose corner way too fast, they dont dig in very well under heavy braking & let go suddenly when your already commited in a corner. I still wince at the thought of that day. 🙂

That aside, & if your bimbling along they are ace. I didnt find the walls weak at all, I took the last set down the machX with no issues.

I’ve swapped to the new Ralphs now, initially for the big volume on my rigid SS. I’ll not fit the SB8’s again. They roll almost as quick but grip surprisingly well. (SB8’s 29er versions if anyone is intrested…).

I really liked the XR2’s, but only ran them for a short while. As above for the SB8, they have a quite specific use IMO, mid summer they are great, but they clogged instantly in mud of any sort.

I think other mfrs have caught up & passed the SB8 now. I’m going to say a smaller vol Ralph.

Kryton57

I may almost be there….

I can get a Snakeskin ralph for the rear (which’ll also get summer use on the AM MTB), and a Ron TLR for the front – £48 delivered from germany.

I wanted snakeskin ron really but there only seems to be 29″ in stock… the TLR sidewall is slightly thicker so I should be OK.

Kryton57

Bugger it.

I’ve just spent my lunch hour fitting standard a raplh and nic combo onto american classics – up first time (wheels were Stan’d before).

Beggar’s can’t be choosers*, I’ll take my chances with the flint.

*makes mental note to vote Labour next time

proutster
    Free Member

Northwind
    SB8 is a great dry tyre but not sure it fits for you… Kenda’s Slant 6 might make more sense? It’s barely slower, not as good in dust/very loose small stuff but much better in mud as it doesn’t clog. Sidewalls are exposed due to the lack of sideknobs but they’re not delicate- I’ve put some decent gouges in mine but never a problem.

That proves I am a ham-fisted fool then… 😳 Peak District rocks put a 2″ slash in my Slant 6 last summer (on the 1 dry day that I was able to get away with using them). Up until then they felt great, fast-running with plenty of grip but the sidewalls were as thin as tissue paper!!

I now have an EXO sidewalled Maxxis Crossmark as my dry rear tyre and that seems much tougher and just as fast-rolling.

Northwind

I’ve put a cut like that in a dualply highroller so lets not ask what that says about me 😆 I think anything’ll cut or tear if you hit it right but the slant’s the same carcass as the nevegal- not that tough but not sausage skin fragile I reckon, just middly.

Exo feels a lot tougher though doesn’t it.

Kryton57

Bugger it.

I’ve just spent my lunch hour fitting standard a raplh and nic combo onto american classics – up first time (wheels were Stan’d before).

Beggar’s can’t be choosers*, I’ll take my chances with the flint.

*makes mental note to vote Labour next time

went to the shed to find the ‘Nic had blown off the rim and spaffed all over the man cave.

So I ordered & Ron & Ralph snakeskin TLR from the nice germans. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bonty XR2 or Kenda SB8 DTC?’ is closed to new replies.