Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bonty Big Earl or Specialized Eskar Control to replace 2.4" ADvantage?
  • 13thfloormonk

After a disasterous/very prudent 'shakedown' ride last night in preparation for a two week holiday, I now have to replace my front tyre which suffered a gash in the sidewall.

I have to replace it today as I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so my choices are limited to whatever the local shops stock in size big.

Has anyone used a 2.5" Bonty Big Earl, is it a decent all round tyre?

I was attracted to the Specialized Eskar because the tread pattern looks similar to the ADvantage, but I'm unsure about the size, how big do they blow up?
    Any other options for fat all mountain UST or Tubeless ready tyres?

Cheers

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

eskars are massive!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've put Eskars on my Enduro recently (replacing the Storm Controls that had been on for the winter) and they do seem pretty chunky for a 2.3" tyre. I've not used the bike since the tyre change though so can't comment what they're actually like to ride with, however the reviews seem pretty good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

Thanks guys, glad to hear they size up well, the 2.4" ADvantage was a monster truck tyre so I can probably afford to go a little smaller.

Have read that the sidewalls on the Eskars are quite thin, so might look for the Armadillo version since it was the sidewall I tore on my ADvantange. I'll be lucky though, there's only one stockist nearby.

grumm
    Free Member

Eskars are big – I hated them at first but came round to them a bit.

I've had both and prefer the Big Earls – I've got the wet compound ones. They don't roll very fast but the grip is very good imo.

I'm actually using one of the non-tubeless ones tubelessly on my Stans Flow rims with no issues so far.

BigJohn

Bonty XR4 is the tyre of the moment

13thfloormonk

Not paired with a rear 2.2" rubber queen it isn't, I need big tyres for the tractor bike 😀

robgarrioch

I'm sure you noticed mate, but it's 2.35 eskars I got on't Pitch atm if you wanna compare sizes.. Pretty reasonable grip in most conditions (only swap to MKing protections if it's dry dry dry 🙂 )

13thfloormonk

Yeah, kicking myself for not comparing properly, but they looked a similar size to my rear tyre so should be OK.

Am thinking Big Earl at the moment though because my office is very near Alpine and they sell them! Will drop by the bikechain and see what they have first of course…

13thfloormonk

BigJohn, I take it back!

The FR4 (XR4 front equiv) fitted the bill perfectly, the 2.35 is as big as the 2.4" ADvantage, nice and soft, tubeless ready, re-enforced sidewalls and pretty aggro looking tread.

Reviews seemed good and it was the easiest tyre I've ever tubelessed (maybe because I stopped trying to be clever and just did it the old fashioned way).

chriswilk
    Free Member

After a weekend on 2.3 eskars (first rides of my new Pitch) they seem to grip ok, similar to the highroller/minion combination on the HT. It was dusty dry though.
    However I flatted after a failry minor rear wheel hit, so I concur weak sidewalls compared to single ply Maxxis.
    Will be swapping the highroller/minion onto the Pitch for this reason so will have a pair of failry new 2.3 eskars to swap for something more commuting orientated, about 2 inch but still with tough sidewalls.

Whyte1
    Free Member

+1 Bonty XR4's 😛

robdob
    Free Member

However I flatted after a failry minor rear wheel hit, so I concur weak sidewalls compared to single ply Maxxis.

Completely opposite to my experiences – I am known within my riding friends for running ridiculously low pressures on my bike (Pitch Pro with Eskars, they are always telling me I've got a flat) and I've not had one impact flat at all. I think I've only had one flat in a years worth of riding, in the Peaks etc.

So when my Eskars wear out, which grip really well in everything except mud, I'll certainly buy another set.

EDIT, my brother, PeterPoddy, loves them too!

Stiggy

I've gone from 2.25 Advantages to Eskar front and Captain rear and loving it, the sidewalls were destroyed on the Advantages but seem to be holding up well on the Spesh.

sailor74
    Free Member

the big earls are ok for dry conditions, they roll pretty well for their size too, make sure you get the 'wet' versions, despite the wet moniker they are not tires for wet conditions though, i didnt think they were too grippy on the rooty damp trails i usually ride, and didnt have anywhere near as much grip as the 2.4 rubber queens.

fine for dry, hardpack or rocky terrain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bonty Big Earl or Specialized Eskar Control to replace 2.4" ADvantage?’ is closed to new replies.